Portege 2000 .11G upgrade

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

With a .11G AP this upgrade gives Divx movie network streaming without
stutters and WPA advanced security features. $40 mini PCI 802.11G card
arrives in a few days.
http://store.4linkcomm.com/xtie80mipci.html
Remove all screws and doors from the bottom of the case. Takes less
than 30 minutes. If you have small screwdrivers and know where they
are, this project's for you. After bootup XP does the driver install
automatically, just point it to the M4YXG600 folder on the install
disk.

If you have another model notebook for upgrading download the PDF
manual or Google for hints on where the wifi card is located. Often
it's under the keyboard. For more pics or tips send request to ajpk3
at hotmail dot com.

Pics:
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,10436696~mode=flat
4 answers Last reply
More about portege 2000 upgrade
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    The website you provided says that WPA is not supported. Furthermore, it
    says that DRAFT 802.11g is supported. Is standard 802.11g supported now?

    Also, although it says that 802.11b is supported, the only speeds listed are
    802.11g speeds.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    "AndrewJ" <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove> wrote in message

    > With a .11G AP this upgrade gives Divx movie network streaming without
    > stutters and WPA advanced security features. $40 mini PCI 802.11G card
    > arrives in a few days.
    > http://store.4linkcomm.com/xtie80mipci.html
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    >The website you provided says that WPA is not supported.

    Thanks, I thought all .11G gear supported that.

    > Furthermore, it
    >says that DRAFT 802.11g is supported. Is standard 802.11g supported now?

    It works with a $40 MS .11G AP.

    >Also, although it says that 802.11b is supported, the only speeds listed are
    >802.11g speeds.

    6 Mbps is listed and is a .11b speed.

    >Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    No, 6 Mbps is a .11g speed. The only .11b speeds are 1, 2, 5.5, and 11.

    > 6 Mbps is listed and is a .11b speed.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    >No, 6 Mbps is a .11g speed. The only .11b speeds are 1, 2, 5.5, and 11.
    >
    >Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    Ok, well....it connects to a WAP11 v1 .11b at 11 Mbps. I don't get
    hung up on wifi hardware specs listed at websites. All of your
    misgivings have been on firmware related issues. Even if those specs
    were accurate when they were published, they are almost always out of
    date when the hardware ships. I believe this card uses a Ti chipset.
    Even if this outfit doesn't have a firmware upgrade, another company
    will. This card at $40 is great for me. Some others might want to
    spend $100 for a .11G Lucent, Agere, Orinoco card which is the brand
    that shipped with the Portege.
    The cards external power switch doesn't work now so it just stays on.
    I have the power panel ask at bootup whether to disable wifi, USB or
    ethernet so this isn't an issue for me.

Wireless Networking