Recycle Bin won't empty completely

Very strange - my recycle bin shows nothing in it, but says that it has 1
file (0 bytes) and the file's name is WINDOWS. I have told it to empty it, I
have rebooted, and done everything else I can think of. I'm at a complete
loss. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about recycle empty completely

    Create a blank file or folder and delete it.

    Try to empty the Recycle Bin.

    If that doesn't do it...

    You probably have a damaged/corrupted file in the Recycle Bin.

    Run Error Checking | Reboot | Try to empty the Recycle Bin again.

    1. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click the volume you want to
    check, and then click Properties.
    2. On the Tools tab, click Check Now.
    3. Do one of the following:

    o To run Chkdsk by using the /f parameter, select the Automatically fix file
    system errors check box, and then click Start.
    [[Specifies whether Windows repairs file-system errors found during disk
    checking. All files must be closed for this program to run. If the drive is
    currently in use, a message asks if you want to reschedule
    the disk checking for the next time you restart your computer. Your drive is
    not available to run other tasks while the disk is being checked.]]

    o To run Chkdsk by using the /r parameter, select the Scan for and attempt
    recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
    [[Specifies whether Windows repairs file-system errors found during disk
    checking, locates bad sectors, and recovers readable information. All files
    must be closed for this program to run. If the drive is currently in use, a
    message asks if you want to reschedule the disk checking for the next time
    you restart your computer. Your drive is not available to run other tasks
    while the disk is being checked. If you select this option, you do not need
    to select Automatically fix file system errors. Windows fixes any errors on
    the disk.]]

    You have to reboot for Error-checking to run.

    For a peek at the log.
    Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
    Look in Application | Listed as Information
    under Winlogon, Event 1001

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:4DA8FF53-69C5-4DCB-B98E-93A52D5D9376@microsoft.com,
    Arathon <Arathon@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Very strange - my recycle bin shows nothing in it, but says that it has 1
    > file (0 bytes) and the file's name is WINDOWS. I have told it to empty
    > it, I have rebooted, and done everything else I can think of. I'm at a
    > complete loss. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks

Support Microsoft Windows XP