CD Burning files stored?

I understand that when you use XP's feature to burn files to CD they are
first of all stored in a temporary area. I feel I have in the past started
to burn some files but then not proceeded and maybe these files are still
being held in this temp storage area. Where is it and how would I delete
these files I don't want to burn now?

TIA

B.W.
4 answers Last reply
More about burning files stored

    %homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning
    or
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Microsoft\CD Burning

    Paste this in the Start | Run box and click OK...

    %homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning

    To delete...
    Select everthing in the right hand pane (Ctrl + A) and hit your Delete key.

    See...
    7. SETTINGS FOR THE INBUILT SOFTWARE
    here...
    Burning CDs in Windows XP
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

    2. THE INBUILT SYSTEM IN WINDOWS XP

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eXrEKS0sFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    B.W. <bwaller@norex.com.auxx (drop the xx)> hunted and pecked:
    > I understand that when you use XP's feature to burn files to CD they are
    > first of all stored in a temporary area. I feel I have in the past
    > started to burn some files but then not proceeded and maybe these files
    > are still being held in this temp storage area. Where is it and how
    > would I delete these files I don't want to burn now?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > B.W.

    Thank you, this is where I found the temp storage area for files for cd
    burning.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Microsoft\CD Burning

    I then found there wasn't anything being held there anyway, does XP actually
    store the files here permanently or does Win XP delete them at closedown?

    B.W.

    > %homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning
    > or
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Application
    > Data\Microsoft\CD Burning
    >
    > Paste this in the Start | Run box and click OK...
    >
    > %homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning
    >
    > To delete...
    > Select everthing in the right hand pane (Ctrl + A) and hit your Delete
    > key.
    >
    > See...
    > 7. SETTINGS FOR THE INBUILT SOFTWARE
    > here...
    > Burning CDs in Windows XP
    > http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
    >
    > 2. THE INBUILT SYSTEM IN WINDOWS XP
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:eXrEKS0sFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > B.W. <bwaller@norex.com.auxx (drop the xx)> hunted and pecked:
    >> I understand that when you use XP's feature to burn files to CD they are
    >> first of all stored in a temporary area. I feel I have in the past
    >> started to burn some files but then not proceeded and maybe these files
    >> are still being held in this temp storage area. Where is it and how
    >> would I delete these files I don't want to burn now?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> B.W.

    B.W.,

    They are supposed to be deleted, but as with anything, a combination of
    things can happen and they may not be deleted.

    Windows XP’s inbuilt CD-burning software gives the impression that the files
    are being written to the disk right away when dragging and dropping them to
    the CD drive’s icon, or by right-clicking them, taking Send To, and
    selecting CD Drive x: as the destination. But this is not the case. Doing
    this simply stashes copies of these files on the hard disk, in a “staging
    area” (%homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning).

    They are only written to the CD when you take an explicit action. This may
    be:
    • right-click on the drive’s icon and take Write files to CD; or,
    • open a window on the drive and take Write Files to CD in the Folder
    actions to be seen in the bar on the left of the window.
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

    If you do not take an explicit action, like above, they will probably remain
    in the CD Burning folder, as an example.

    I use a 3rd party burning software, which works differently.

    BTW,
    %homepath% is an environment variable that is the path to the user's home
    directory.

    Typing or pasting %homepath% into the Start | Run box opens to the Documents
    and Settings folder on whatever drive it is located on and the logged in
    user.

    I.e. C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:newscache$3uwimi$pxh$1@elise.onthenet.com.au,
    B.W. <bwaller@norex.com.auxx (drop the xx)> hunted and pecked:
    > Thank you, this is where I found the temp storage area for files for cd
    > burning.
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Application
    > Data\Microsoft\CD Burning
    >
    > I then found there wasn't anything being held there anyway, does XP
    > actually store the files here permanently or does Win XP delete them at
    > closedown?
    >
    > B.W.

    >> %homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning
    >> or
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Application
    >> Data\Microsoft\CD Burning
    >>
    >> Paste this in the Start | Run box and click OK...
    >>
    >> %homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning
    >>
    >> To delete...
    >> Select everthing in the right hand pane (Ctrl + A) and hit your Delete
    >> key.
    >>
    >> See...
    >> 7. SETTINGS FOR THE INBUILT SOFTWARE
    >> here...
    >> Burning CDs in Windows XP
    >> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
    >>
    >> 2. THE INBUILT SYSTEM IN WINDOWS XP
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:eXrEKS0sFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> B.W. <bwaller@norex.com.auxx (drop the xx)> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I understand that when you use XP's feature to burn files to CD they are
    >>> first of all stored in a temporary area. I feel I have in the past
    >>> started to burn some files but then not proceeded and maybe these files
    >>> are still being held in this temp storage area. Where is it and how
    >>> would I delete these files I don't want to burn now?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> B.W.

    Yes thanks Wesley, I understand.
    B.W.

> [...]
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Application
    >> Data\Microsoft\CD Burning
    >>
    >> I then found there wasn't anything being held there anyway, does XP
    >> actually store the files here permanently or does Win XP delete them at
    >> closedown?
    >>
    >> B.W.

    >>> %homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning
    >>> or
    >>> C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Application
    >>> Data\Microsoft\CD Burning
    >>>
    >>> Paste this in the Start | Run box and click OK...
    >>>
    >>> %homepath%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning
    >>>
    >>> To delete...
    >>> Select everthing in the right hand pane (Ctrl + A) and hit your Delete
    >>> key.
    >>>
    >>> See...
    >>> 7. SETTINGS FOR THE INBUILT SOFTWARE

Burner CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP