I have XP Pro, SP2. Twice my entire system would not reboot. error:
windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt.

I installed a PCI slot turbo 2.0 USB card. I also had 1.0 ports with one
port leading to a powered 4 port USB hub.

All installed correctly in the device manager but as soon as I tried to
install the Belkin USB power UPS manager it said catastrophic errror. Then I
install the USB scanner and tried to scan. Locked up with error windows.
Upon reboot I got the error above.

What is causing such conflicts?

Thanks

I would try a different PCI slot for the USB Card. You might have IRQ
conflicts. Something is causing your Registry to
become Corrupt.