Radeon 8500-compatibility problems with Athlon XP!

Hi!
This is for all of you who have problems with ATI Radeon 8500 on an AMD Athlon XP platform. As me you probably were astonished by the benchmarks on THGs website. But if you look closely they have all been performed on a Pentium 4 platform…
I have read the posts in this forum to see if anyone has the same problems with ATI Radeon 8500 that I have. And I have seen that many of you do. I have read some reviews and have learned that Radeon 8500 has compatibility problems with AMD Athlon XP processors. The problem is that when ATI Radeon 8500 runs DircectX 8 application the whole system freezes and attempts to reboot. Sometime the systems successfully reboots and sometimes it just freezes and has to be rebooted manually. The system freeze occurs after some seconds in some cases and after some minutes in other cases.

I have read that some people solved this problem by setting the AGP rate 2X instead of 4X in BIOS. Some people solved it by disabling AGP Fast Writes in BIOS. None of this worked for me; I still get the system freeze after a while of running DirectX applications. Sometimes I get this same error when I run DirectX 7 applications but it doesn’t happen as often with DirectX 8 applications.

Anyway… I have found a way to solve the problem for my system and it’s by “under clocking” my system. Yes you heard me right. When I set my FSB to 100 Mhz instead of 133 Mhz the problem is solved. This makes my Athlon XP 1800+ witch normally runs at 1533 Mhz to run at 1150 Mhz or something like that.

I use the latest drivers from ATIs website (6.13.10.6015). Other people had this problem several months ago and solved it by installing the newest drivers. This however didn’t work for me. I finally was able to test my Radeon 8500 in 3DMark 2001 after lowering the FSB to 100 Mhz. Before I did this my system froze before the 3DMark 2001 benchmark was finished.

If any one knows a way to solve the problem without me having to under clock my system I would be greatly thankful.

This was a quite long post. I hope you survived the reading.

This link describes the problem.
http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/vidcards/ati/8500/index4.html look under “Our Experiences:” halfway down the page.

My system:
Athlon XP 1800+
ATI Radeon 8500, 64 Mb
EPoX 8KHA+
Samsung 256 Mb, PC2100/266
Q Technology 300W

I may have to little cooling for my processor. It runs at a temperature of 50 degrees Celsius. I don’t know if that has anything to do with it.
8 answers Last reply
More about radeon 8500 compatibility problems athlon
  1. The only drivers that had compatiblity problems were the original. If you are still having problems now then they are unrelated to the graphics card.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
  2. Quote:
    I have read some reviews and have learned that Radeon 8500 has compatibility problems with AMD Athlon XP processors.

No, the 8500 does not have a problem with the AXP. If it has any problems, they are likely a problem with either the motherboard chipset or a conflict with other hardware.

You're having problems keeping your system up at 133? That is likely a power problem, or posibly a heat problem. A 300W PSU might be pushing your system. At slower clock speeds, your system isn't consuming as much power. Try removing extra cards, HDs and other pereferals, and then running at full speed. For temps, try leaving your case open and running things.

I'd lean more towards a power issue than a temp issue, but it never hurts to check.

This is a non-smoking forum.
    If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.
  3. Juin, if you have nothing helpful to say then don't say anything.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
  4. HI I just built a system with a giga-byte 7vtxh+ and a AXP 1700 and a 8500 with win 98 2nd,also 256 crucial 133 mem,dvd,cd-rw and Hauppauge WinTv card and don't have any problems (dirx8a).(4.13.7191)
  5. Quote:

hey it been long time that i dont have troll a bit

:wink: I understand :wink:

6. Hey,

I had that problem too just yesterday!
    Does it says PERF system error at you screen?

I have my AGP on AUTO and FAST WRITE off,
    Got still 1533 Mhz running and at 133 fbs!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Radeon Compatibility Windows XP Graphics