600m with slow Intel 2100 3A Mini PC wireless

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I thought I had this fixed, but I messed it up again. I have a Inspiron
600m with a Intel Mini PC wireless card that has very slow ping times when
pinged. If I ping my desktop (through a wireless router), the ping times
are 5-8ms. If I ping the Laptop from the hard wired desktop, they are
250ms.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? What setting might be messed up?
Could it be the card itself?

I did install a Linksys WPC11 wireless PCMCIA card and was getting a 3ms
ping. At one time I was getting a 4-5ms ping using the Intel card and that
was after removing the card and changing drivers. For all I know it might
be a physical problem with the card itself. This time removing the card
made no difference.

Any guidance or troubleshooting tips would be appreciated. I have tried
both WZC with WinXP pro SP2 and the ProSet utility. Security or distance
doesn't seem to matter.

Thanks,
Clark

walter

Isn't 5 ms faster than 250 ms ping?

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in

> I thought I had this fixed, but I messed it up again. I have a
> Inspiron 600m with a Intel Mini PC wireless card that has very slow
> ping times when pinged. If I ping my desktop (through a wireless
> router), the ping times are 5-8ms. If I ping the Laptop from the hard
> wired desktop, they are 250ms.
>
> Does anyone know what might be wrong? What setting might be messed
> up? Could it be the card itself?
> Thanks,
> Clark

walter

Sorry, I reread your question. Your getting slower ping on Laptop through
wireless, it might be initial delay, there has to be an expert on here with
an answer.

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>I thought I had this fixed, but I messed it up again. I have a Inspiron
>600m with a Intel Mini PC wireless card that has very slow ping times when
>pinged. If I ping my desktop (through a wireless router), the ping times
>are 5-8ms. If I ping the Laptop from the hard wired desktop, they are
>250ms.
>
> Does anyone know what might be wrong? What setting might be messed up?
> Could it be the card itself?
>
> I did install a Linksys WPC11 wireless PCMCIA card and was getting a 3ms
> ping. At one time I was getting a 4-5ms ping using the Intel card and
> that was after removing the card and changing drivers. For all I know it
> might be a physical problem with the card itself. This time removing the
> card made no difference.
>
> Any guidance or troubleshooting tips would be appreciated. I have tried
> both WZC with WinXP pro SP2 and the ProSet utility. Security or distance
> doesn't seem to matter.
>
> Thanks,
> Clark

Given the PC(MCIA) card performance, I think you may have a bad internal
card......

Stew

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Thanks Stew, I have ordered a new card. I am also trying to check to see if
there could be a compatibility issue between my Linksys router and the Intel
card that might delay ping requests.

Clark

> Thanks Stew, I have ordered a new card. I am also trying to check to see
> if there could be a compatibility issue between my Linksys router and the
> Intel card that might delay ping requests.
>
> Clark

Both quality pieces of namebrand hardware, so I'm guessing compatibility is
probably fine.

I'm guessing that you're right on the money about the card itself.

Good luck.

Stew

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Just got my new 2200BG Mini PC card along with a new Linksys 54g router.
;-)

Ping times went from 15ms-300ms to 1ms.

Transfer time for a 7.2MB file between computers went from 18-28 seconds to
~3 seconds (or the blink of an eye). I still don't know for sure what was
causing the bad ping times, but I will have to say for now, it was the card
..

Thanks for the input,
Clark

Much better, although the ping times I was getting did not seem to effect
the transfer rates on the old card.

> Just got my new 2200BG Mini PC card along with a new Linksys 54g router.
> ;-)
>
> Ping times went from 15ms-300ms to 1ms.
>
> Transfer time for a 7.2MB file between computers went from 18-28 seconds
> to ~3 seconds (or the blink of an eye). I still don't know for sure what
> was causing the bad ping times, but I will have to say for now, it was the
> card .
>
> Thanks for the input,
> Clark

Nice call, Clark. Glad to hear it's blasting away now.

Stew

I've got a 600M too...where do you install the mini-card? Anything
particularly difficult about it? Not that I'm having any real problems,
just like to have additional info, that's all.

TIA

Tom S.
Houston, TX

Clark wrote:
> Just got my new 2200BG Mini PC card along with a new Linksys 54g router.
> ;-)
>
> Ping times went from 15ms-300ms to 1ms.
>
> Transfer time for a 7.2MB file between computers went from 18-28 seconds to
> ~3 seconds (or the blink of an eye). I still don't know for sure what was
> causing the bad ping times, but I will have to say for now, it was the card
> .
>
> Thanks for the input,
> Clark
>
> Much better, although the ping times I was getting did not seem to effect
> the transfer rates on the old card.
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Thanks Stew, I have ordered a new card. I am also trying to check to see
>>>if there could be a compatibility issue between my Linksys router and the
>>>Intel card that might delay ping requests.
>>>
>>>Clark
>>>

>>Both quality pieces of namebrand hardware, so I'm guessing compatibility
>>is probably fine.
>>
>>I'm guessing that you're right on the money about the card itself.
>>
>>Good luck.
>>

>>Stew

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

It goes in a little square panel on the bottom left next to the headset
connectors. Not hard to change. I got my new card from newegg.com and it
came with a CD for drivers and ProSet.

Clark

"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
> I've got a 600M too...where do you install the mini-card? Anything
> particularly difficult about it? Not that I'm having any real problems,
> just like to have additional info, that's all.
>
> TIA
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX
>

> Clark wrote:
>> Just got my new 2200BG Mini PC card along with a new Linksys 54g router.
>> ;-)
>>
>> Ping times went from 15ms-300ms to 1ms.
>>
>> Transfer time for a 7.2MB file between computers went from 18-28 seconds
>> to ~3 seconds (or the blink of an eye). I still don't know for sure what
>> was causing the bad ping times, but I will have to say for now, it was
>> the card .
>>
>> Thanks for the input,
>> Clark
>>
>> Much better, although the ping times I was getting did not seem to effect
>> the transfer rates on the old card.
>> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message

>>>Both quality pieces of namebrand hardware, so I'm guessing compatibility
>>>is probably fine.
>>>
>>>I'm guessing that you're right on the money about the card itself.
>>>
>>>Good luck.
>>>

>>>Stew

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 18:11:35 GMT, "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote:

>Thanks Stew, I have ordered a new card. I am also trying to check to see if
>there could be a compatibility issue between my Linksys router and the Intel
>card that might delay ping requests.

And if it keeps giving you problems, don't be afraid to demand a new
motherboard from Dell (if you have a warranty). Sometimes it's a bad
mobo or bad mobo connection somewhere. Having a tech re-connect the
wires (plus getting a new motherboard) can help.

I've had dell send me several bad Dimension desktop motherboards, but
they've never sent me a bad laptop mobo (knock on faux woodgrain).
They must realize laptops are where the cash cows graze ;)

Dan

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:01:09 GMT, Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org>
wrote:

>I've got a 600M too...where do you install the mini-card? Anything
>particularly difficult about it? Not that I'm having any real problems,
>just like to have additional info, that's all.

No more difficult than inserting an SO-DIMM. The mini-PCI port is
usually (but not always...dell likes to make things "fun" ;) ) located
near the tiny modem card. There's a line of contacts (like on an
SO-DIMM), a notch, then one or two more electrical contacts. Push in,
snap down, and attach the wires (have a little patience with the
wires, they can be a pain to insert). And of course keep yourself
grounded from static electricity.

Most Insp. 2xxx series only have a single main antenna wire. Almost
all other Inspiron's I've seen have a main (white) and an auxillary
(black) antenna wire.

Dan

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

That is really funny you should say that. My new computer came with a flaw
from the factory. One speaker did not work, but I did not realize it was
that bad until 32 days after I got it. So they sent a tech with a
replacement (refurbished) motherboard that would not even boot. So much for
quality control!

I refused the refurbished motherboard, so to this day, the one speaker still
does not work. The headset does work, however, so when I need good sound, I
use it.

Clark