Sign in with
Your question
Closed

MacPadd.com Owner David Free Responds to Us

Tags:
  • Tom's Hardware
Last response: in News comments
November 2, 2009 7:15:21 PM

lol, reported to the canadian police...... US has more say in policing than canada probably but since i live in canada, i say the rules aren't very strict
Score
November 2, 2009 7:15:57 PM

Begun,the MacPadd Wars Have
Score
November 2, 2009 7:16:46 PM

Free really needs to get his head checked.
Score
November 2, 2009 7:19:22 PM

As the saying goes;

/popcorn
Score
November 2, 2009 7:19:37 PM

+1 to THW
Score
November 2, 2009 7:19:44 PM

Doesn't Canada have a BBB or something similar? Perhaps you should contact them.
Score
November 2, 2009 7:22:40 PM

etichiInstead of apologizing and realizing the customer is always right. Maybe it is him that doesn't understand how to run a business. What a jerk. Be a man, suck it up, and make it right!Furthermore, just because there are satisfied customers doesn't mean he might have a bad apple in his company. What a douche bag.

Pretty hard for a company to continue if the bad apple is the CEO/Owner
Score
November 2, 2009 7:25:13 PM

He, he, at least he's right about the pad being resistant to H1N1; after all, is a MOUSE PAD!!! Can't get the flu...
On the other hand, maybe the tracking number got the flu and died...

But seriously, he's a jerk .
Score
November 2, 2009 7:25:20 PM

Things I'd love to see come out of this:

1) Apple turning its eyes on him and suing his pants off for trade mark infringement.
2) A Better Business Bureau report filed against his company (or whatever the BBB is in Canada) for the fraudulent claims and poor service.
3) A tracking number.
Score
November 2, 2009 7:25:59 PM

DDoS anybody?

This guys is a TOOL
-H1N1 comment is garbage
-keeps your cursor 'on the screen' comment is garbage

Only thing worse than a mac --> the dumbass who tries making accessories for them
Score
November 2, 2009 7:26:35 PM

Wow...what an unprofessional statement to post on your company's website..."the customer from hell". Calling a potential customer that would turn me away from ordering his products.
Score
November 2, 2009 7:27:13 PM

His front page retort is doing nothing more than directing every potential customer of his to this article. Those who might have missed it before certainly won't now! You should sue him for fraud or sic a regulatory agency on him and give your faithful readers a blow-by-blow account of the process. It would be good to see this idiotic fraudster brought to justice.
Score
Anonymous
November 2, 2009 7:29:55 PM

Does the owner understand the phrase "h1n1 resistant?" I think he's meaning to say "The MacPadd will never get the H1N1 virus, so it will always work and never call in sick." Other than that there's no mention using antiviral material in production. I don't even think such a material exists for computer equipment.
Score
November 2, 2009 7:30:32 PM

MacPadd just committed customer service suicide.....
lol, EPIC FAIL.

Btw, granting Mr.Free's arrogance, I'm 77% sure, he's French.

@TH: Grab some lawyers and head to his house/business. Here's were the website is registered to:
Quote:
David Free Inc.
55 Gibson Drive
Simcoe, Ontario N3Y 3L1
Canada

Score
November 2, 2009 7:31:42 PM

HonisThings I'd love to see come out of this:1) Apple turning its eyes on him and suing his pants off for trade mark infringement.

This is a great point. The Apple legal team would castrate him.
Score
November 2, 2009 7:31:48 PM

ANY comment made by Free to Nguyen in a negative manner shows he has no respect for the customer, PERIOD. I work for Directron, and I'm sorry to state the obvious saying, that you should always work for the customer and make them happy. Even though TN MAY have received harsher criticism from Free due to the fact he works for THW, this probably isn't the only case which this happened, so in my opinion Free shouldn't be allowed to do business in anything.
Score
November 2, 2009 7:32:14 PM

I would never buy from a website complaining about the customer from hell.

When reading the original article, I thought that Nguyen was being a bit overboard at the onset; however it proved that he was correct that the item was never shipped, and Free was continuously lying to him. In this situation, it is hard to say he shouldn't have been as aggressive as he was, as Free was continuously lying to him.
Score
November 2, 2009 7:34:15 PM

But they lying... what can you expect from such a company that explicitly misrepresents their product. Nobody realized that they NEVER mention the material is recycled, they say its recyclable! Then they go on to put the recycle symbol all over the site, and claim the product is green.

That's like me advertising Styrofoam as green because you can recycle it.
Score
November 2, 2009 7:34:54 PM

Bob Slydell: What would you say ya do here?
Tom Smykowski: Well look, I already told you! I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to! I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people! Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?
Score
November 2, 2009 7:35:00 PM

You really just can't help but laugh.
Score
November 2, 2009 7:35:29 PM

"We have over 8,000 satisfied customers and now one person who has anger problems which he chooses to vent through his company’s web site."

Lol, you're making me laugh. You have maybe thousands of unhappy customers. And I don't know if Free is lying according to numbers of satisfied customers.
Score
Anonymous
November 2, 2009 7:39:28 PM

It seems that this guy runs, sells (seller mail to Paypal log), answers to customer troubles, publishes statements on the site and who knows what else, just on its own.
TW, what could you expect from an All-In-One.
Score
November 2, 2009 7:41:47 PM

Way to handle this situation professional Toms...
Score
November 2, 2009 7:47:20 PM

Quote:
We have over 8,000 satisfied customers

I wonder how many millions of unsitisfied ones. lol
Score
November 2, 2009 7:50:25 PM

Quote:
As retailers we have all encountered “the customer from hell” and it is seems that Mr. Nguyen embodies the same, high expectations, low comprehension of what it takes to run a business.

Pretty difficult to deliver a valid tracking number, eh? Here's a free lesson towards Mr. Free (even though he has that MBA) - people get testy when they put their money in your hands and you fail to communicate and deliver what was purchased in return.
Score
November 2, 2009 7:50:50 PM

I'm a bit torn on this as I try to keep an objective perspective. If Tuan were calling me with the same attitude he's displaying in his blogs(not good enough to be a column) then I'd be quite perturbed as well. Most likely, Tuan was initially calling as he wanted to know what his resource schedule looked like in comparison with a deadline. Was this explained to Mr. Free in the initial call? I tend to agree with one of the comments on the original story who stated the duration between order and "where's the tracking number?" was extremely short especially considering international shipments. What Tuan fails to realize is that his pressure applied may have triggered Free's dishonest comments. We know not what the tone or particular verbage of those conversations were only that Tuan seems to want to exact revenge through public humiliation. Personally, I don't see an innocent party in this situation nor do I see either party working towards a mutually desirable resolution. In ten days, four of those saturdays and sundays, Tuan went from ordering to claiming fraud. I'm not excusing Free's ineptness at dealing with the situation but everyone seems to be thinking Tuan's approach is flawless which is far from reality.

I would have never chosen to do busines with MacPadd.com as even the name screams sleazy wanna-be. Tuan has shown a great deal of poor judgement which leaves little credibility for future blogs.
Score
November 2, 2009 7:55:11 PM

As someone mentioned above talk to the BBB (Better Business Bureau). I've consulted with them once in the past and the company in question changed their tone pretty quickly when they found out the BBB was getting involved.
Score
November 2, 2009 8:01:30 PM

I pretty much agree with htmaster, I kind of felt uncomfortable with the whole article. It just seems a little "too much" for such a small problem, don't ya think?
Score
November 2, 2009 8:05:31 PM

Too bad Free has only over 8000 happy customers...If he had over 9000 I may take him a bit more seriously. I hope there is an article in the near future outlining Apple's file for lawsuit against this guy.
Score
November 2, 2009 8:10:55 PM

This letter seems like one of those breakdown tantrums we had as kids (or from time to time, as adults)...when you really want to stop digging your own grave but you just can't stop with your hysteria! Even if the customer is 100% wrong, a reputable and respectful company knows how to respond to that sort of behaviour, and certainly by writing a letter like that isn't a very smart thing to do.
Score
November 2, 2009 8:11:06 PM

Quote:
What Tuan fails to realize is that his pressure applied may have triggered Free's dishonest comments.
so its okay for a business owner to lie if he/she is pressured for a simple tracking number! the lies aren't justified!!!!
Score
November 2, 2009 8:11:07 PM

mlopinto2k1I pretty much agree with htmaster, I kind of felt uncomfortable with the whole article. It just seems a little "too much" for such a small problem, don't ya think?

No fraud problem from a vendor is ever "too much" for a "small problem." What if the vendor was selling you or someone you knew, and you had your money held hostage but no product shipped? Would you push that aside? Geez. Thank goodness for this report so we all can be weary of what to look out for.
Score
November 2, 2009 8:11:10 PM

HonisThings I'd love to see come out of this:1) Apple turning its eyes on him and suing his pants off for trade mark infringement.
Do I see a bite out of the M in MacPadd? Hey if Woolworth's foods in Australia is infringing with their green "W", than this is WAY over the line. Someone ought to email Apple and point them in his direction!
Score
November 2, 2009 8:14:53 PM

Tuan Nguyen, you sir, are awesome. This Free guy is a total moron, through and through. Should contact the boys at Apple to get a suit going for copyright infringement on their MacPad.

Free should have apologized up front and sent the damn thing. As a lone consumer, I know I could easily get scammed by one of these bastards, but when these scammers are selling to you guys, shouldn't they know better than to try their dirty tricks? Apparently not this guy.
Score
November 2, 2009 8:15:48 PM

mlopinto2k1I pretty much agree with htmaster, I kind of felt uncomfortable with the whole article. It just seems a little "too much" for such a small problem, don't ya think?

I have dealt with problems of fraud before - you have to catch them early or the will delay and delay and delay and exhaust your appeal time and cost you a great deal of money.

I think Tuan acted responsibly in the circumstances. Having received no notification that his item had been shipped, he was reasonable to try to contact them by phone. Having tried BOTH numbers, he was reasonable to lodge a dispute with paypal. After being told it had shipped, he was reasonable to request a tracking number... and so on.

Basically everything David Fee did and said, from day 1, smacked of dishonesty. If a consumer is not proactive in these circumstances, they are going to be taken advantage of.
Score
November 2, 2009 8:16:46 PM

lol, this is rediculous. I will never buy from this website or Mr. Free.

Also, htmaster seems like he wants to be Mr. Free's lawyer if/when it comes to that.
Score
November 2, 2009 8:19:12 PM

Free will contact incurable colon cancer from being such an a$$:

corporate pig ripping off people
Score
Anonymous
November 2, 2009 8:22:18 PM

This is way past funny. It's really sad. When people have to tell you their TLAs after their name, it's sort of a "mine's bigger" at the urinal. And that always ends well. Anyway, in addition to Apple IP lawyers having a field day shutting this joker down, what about the claim that this mouse pad is patent pending? The PTO requires a showing of "unique and non-obvious". An aluminum mouse pad? I've used that back in the late 80s! As with the rest of Mr. Free's claims, "I'm so impressed." I'm just surprised that one of my favorite online shops, Other World Computing, sells this guy's junk. Hey, OWC - stop shilling for this thief!
Score
November 2, 2009 8:35:53 PM

Having 8,000 satisfied "customers" in online sales compares to saying I have one friend. Avoid MacPadd and its scam. Free, learn business practice first, then try having sales.
Score
Anonymous
November 2, 2009 8:37:54 PM

While the overall outcome does seem to show this company is not on the up and up, I also agree with htmaster on how Tom's initially handled this. If the site said 3-7 business days to ship out and the order was placed on the 23rd, say in the afternoon. Then the 7th business day would not have been until today. So for Tom's to start questioning the whereabouts of the shipment when they did was a little uncalled for.
Score
November 2, 2009 8:44:12 PM

Resistant to H1N1? Now I want want. What a joke lol
Score
November 2, 2009 8:52:13 PM

From macpadd website under values:
"Ethical-
Professional and ethical treating others the way we would want to be treated"

Score
November 2, 2009 8:57:55 PM

griffed88lol, this is rediculous. I will never buy from this website or Mr. Free.Also, htmaster seems like he wants to be Mr. Free's lawyer if/when it comes to that.

Not at all. I've just been on both the customer and vendor side of situations such as this. It takes two to tango and both parties are showing their ruffles quite well as they attempt to escalate the issue even further to save face. Mr. Free's small company is probably a one man show at best and he simply doesn't have the skills to pull it off. People are jumping on the bandwagon of pummeling this guy rather than trying to dig deeper and find out what exactly happened. This follow-up blog is no better than Tuan looking at the masses asking people to applaud his on-going pissing match. Guess I've just never been a "me too" kind of person and I do my own evaluations and form my own opinions with much effort to not ridicule others for theirs. Tuan, as a member of the media, should know the difference between reporting the facts and inciting a lynching.

And no, there's no excuse for Mr. Free lying. But it's important to know why he did if you want to know the whole story. For all we know, Mr. Free was trying to get it on with a hottie and Tuan kept interrupting. I'd be pissed too. lol Perhaps it's more entertaining to go off half-cocked with minimal details but you're also talking about the livelihood of several people which shouldn't be discarded nonchalantly.
Score
November 2, 2009 9:11:39 PM

It's called libel. Get a lawyer. Best of Media I'm sure has one on staff. Someone like this needs to be shut down. Period.
Score
November 2, 2009 9:13:51 PM

God I love these articles.
Score
November 2, 2009 9:15:25 PM

The thing is that with "customers from hell" you don't start giving excuses to take him off your back. You just send them what they ask for.

Now, about the people saying that Tuan should have waited the first 7 days before starting the paypal process, do the math, it wasn't just 7 days, but the whole week of asking, which could have turned into 2 weeks trying to locate Free. And after that, another week for the dispute.

In the end it was just about saying:
a) Here's your tracking number and my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences.
b) We haven't shipped your item yet because of "put-a-valid-excuse-here"

Did Free used any of them? no! he just gave lame excuses and avoided one simple request.
Score
November 2, 2009 9:18:04 PM

tuan owned him severely. hope Apple gets a hold of him and sues for trademark infringment.
Score
!