XP won't start after installing driver - HELP

September 7, 2005 3:22:02 AM

All I did was to install the software that came with my new digital camera
and suddenly Windows won't start. I tried backing up the registry and
restoring from the repair directory. I can boot to the recovery console
using the XP Professional CD, but I cannot get Windows to start. Even in
safe mode. The booting up process proceeds normally until it gets to the
point where Windows should start and then it reboots.

Is there any hope?
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 3:37:02 AM

So what did you do in recovery console...Try typing:CHKDSK C: /R

"vicciv" wrote:

> All I did was to install the software that came with my new digital camera
> and suddenly Windows won't start. I tried backing up the registry and
> restoring from the repair directory. I can boot to the recovery console
> using the XP Professional CD, but I cannot get Windows to start. Even in
> safe mode. The booting up process proceeds normally until it gets to the
> point where Windows should start and then it reboots.
>
> Is there any hope?

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 5:50:00 PM

vicciv <vicciv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>All I did was to install the software that came with my new digital camera
>and suddenly Windows won't start. I tried backing up the registry and
>restoring from the repair directory. I can boot to the recovery console
>using the XP Professional CD, but I cannot get Windows to start. Even in
>safe mode. The booting up process proceeds normally until it gets to the
>point where Windows should start and then it reboots.
>
>Is there any hope?

Try doing a Repair Install of your Windows XP as per the instructions
at http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

A Repair Install will preserve your installed applications, user data
files, and configuration settings. However Windows Updates will all
have to be reinstalled.

Note that if your installed Windows XP has been updated to Service
Pack 2 and your installation CD is for the Original Release or Service
Pack 1 versions then you will have to create a new installtion CD with
Service Pack 2 slipstreamed into it in order to do the Repair Install.

To create a slipstreamed CD you will need:
- The original installation CD (which you have)
- The complete Service Pack 2 update either on CD or downloaded from
Microsoft.
- A CD or DVD burner plus a blank CD
- Slipstreaming software to merge the files from the installation CD
and Service Pack 2 into a new ISO image of an installation disk
- CD Burning software to create a bootable CD from the ISO image.

Post a further response back here if you need more detailed
information on the slipstreaming process.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP