XP won't start after installing driver - HELP

All I did was to install the software that came with my new digital camera
and suddenly Windows won't start. I tried backing up the registry and
restoring from the repair directory. I can boot to the recovery console
using the XP Professional CD, but I cannot get Windows to start. Even in
safe mode. The booting up process proceeds normally until it gets to the
point where Windows should start and then it reboots.

Is there any hope?
2 answers Last reply
More about start installing driver help

    So what did you do in recovery console...Try typing:CHKDSK C: /R

    vicciv <vicciv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >All I did was to install the software that came with my new digital camera
    >and suddenly Windows won't start. I tried backing up the registry and
    >restoring from the repair directory. I can boot to the recovery console
    >using the XP Professional CD, but I cannot get Windows to start. Even in
    >safe mode. The booting up process proceeds normally until it gets to the
    >point where Windows should start and then it reboots.
    >
    >Is there any hope?

    Try doing a Repair Install of your Windows XP as per the instructions
    at http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    A Repair Install will preserve your installed applications, user data
    files, and configuration settings. However Windows Updates will all
    have to be reinstalled.

    Note that if your installed Windows XP has been updated to Service
    Pack 2 and your installation CD is for the Original Release or Service
    Pack 1 versions then you will have to create a new installtion CD with
    Service Pack 2 slipstreamed into it in order to do the Repair Install.

    To create a slipstreamed CD you will need:
    - The original installation CD (which you have)
    - The complete Service Pack 2 update either on CD or downloaded from
    Microsoft.
    - A CD or DVD burner plus a blank CD
    - Slipstreaming software to merge the files from the installation CD
    and Service Pack 2 into a new ISO image of an installation disk
    - CD Burning software to create a bootable CD from the ISO image.

    Post a further response back here if you need more detailed
    information on the slipstreaming process.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP