Geforce4 mx440

G

I'm considering getting a new graphic card, but the prices on the TI series are very high. So, when I saw that the geforce mx series are on their way, I thougt that this was something for me. But, is it ? I saw the prices diffrence between the cards, and they were quite big. So, if I'm looking for a pretty good card, and don't want to spend a whole lot of money on it, is the MX series something for me ?

Thanks alot

- Anders Gram

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
No, it's not. The GF4 MX is garbage. Get yourself a good GF3Ti200 or better yet, the R8500. Both are dirt cheap right now.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Listen to AMD Man, the GF 4 MX series sucks. period.
especially the MX440 (theres a 460 but it sucks too)
you should DEFINATELY go with a competitively priced GeForce 3 Ti200 or a Radeon 8500 both anywhere from 180 to 200 dollars. a little bit more money but it's worth it. The main reason the GF 4 MX series sucks (especially the 440) is because it dosnt have vertex or pixel shaders which are a very crucial component of new video cards. This is a feature of Direct X 8, which, soon, many games will be built around. these two features allow programmers to add an almost infinite amount of special effects etc. to scenes. they are very important. i suggest you read the TOMSHARDWARE article on the GeForce 4 its called, PC Graphics Beyond XBOX or something like that it's really good.
goodluck, and hope you're happy with whatever you get!

its not that intel CANT make a good processor, its that they just dont try

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
i think your signiture should read: AIMD(advanced intel micro devices)(dont write that part)(or this part) Pentathlon 4XP JUST A SUGGESTION!

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
about choosing between a GeForce 2 Ti200 and a Radeon 8500:
i know the geforce card has great OC'ing potential, and can be done through the software included. you can overclock a Ti200 to the performance level of a non OC'd Ti500. But then again im not sure about the OC'ing ability of the Radeon. If it were me i would probably choose the Ti200 because of certain features and overall "goodness", plus its a bit cheaper, as for what brand, unless you care about looks, get the cheapest one theyre all pretty much the same

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
You sure about the price advantage of the ti 200 the RETAIL r8500's can now be had for less then $160 and falling just check <A HREF="http://www.reactorcritical.com" target="_new">http://www.reactorcritical.com</A> for details.

G

Check recent prices on www.pricewatch.com and you will find the geforce3 ti200 cards are dropping below the $130 price range! I just bought one from an e-bay auction for less than $120 with shipping!

I ain't got time to bleed! :eek:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
is there pixel/vertex shaders for radeon 7200?
Well, yes and no. The original Radeon had the 0.5 spec for the shaders (this is pre-final DX8 release specs). The current shader specs are unsupported by the Radeon and therefore it is not a DX8 compliant card.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

plbass

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2001
hehe, do you mean the clearance Radeon LE that one of the stores has on PriceWatch for $40, Crashman?

Hey Baby, I'll install YOUR RAM, if you boot my Hard drive!

G

Thanks alot for your help. With the info which you gave me in the replys, I'm now going for the Geforce3 ti200 ! :)