HELP: Home IE6 SP6 unresponsive (90%-98% CPU)

Hi people,

I have a genuine Windows XP Home with SP2 (on a HP Pavilion 1125 notebook)
connected to internet (cable) via a LAN through its wireless port.
Since about 2 weeks ago, whenever I launch IE6 (no matter what home page),
it becomes unresponsive and the TaskBar reveals it's using > 90% CPU.

I have Automatic Windows Update; and even so I manually checked for updates
and there were no critical ones to install.

The machine came with Norton AV and the XP firewall ON.. but about 2 weeks
ago its subscription was over and it took me about 3 days to buy and install
Norton Interner Security. Thus, the machine run with an overdue AV for about
3 days (but with the firewall still on). I had also installed (from the
beginnig) Microsoft Anti-Spyware and enabled RealTime protection.

This is my wife's notebook so I took some time to investigate the problem ;)
When I finally did, I installed Norton Internet Security, updated it, turned
off XP firewall, and a first virus scan found no virues.
Then I encountered that MS Anti Spyware was "expired" so I had to uninstall
it and re-install it again. On the first scan, it found a couple of spyware
startups: One named "" (or some space-like char sequence) and another I
don't quite remember how it was called, but it had a name of the form:
"apparently_normal.exe <garbage chars>")

After the anti-spyware scan, I rebooted but the problem persisted.
So I launched MS anti-spyware again and looked at the startup programs,
ActiveXs and BHOs manually.
There were still a couple of strictly unnecesary startups, ActiveXs and BHOs
that I removed.
I left in only Google toolbar and dekstop, DAP, iTunes and Java.

After reboot the problem persisted.
So I looked at the services.
I disbled all services not from Microsoft nor Symantec (and hardware
related)

Yet after reboot the problem persists... and now I'm out of ideas...

Any help greatly appreciated.

Fernando Cacciola
SciSoft
11 answers Last reply
More about help home unresponsive

    Hello,

    Use FireFox. It blows away IE and is a load faster and free from spyware
    etc. You can imposrt all your favorites from IE as well and download themes
    etc. A 1000 times better and all your woes will be over. Just make FireFox
    your default browser. Cheers!

    www.getfirefox.com

    CHOUT wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Use FireFox.

    If only I could :-)
    I really don't use IE much.. I use Opera mostly and Firefox occasionaly...
    but there are _plenty_ of sites, at least here in Argentine, which don't
    work correctly with Firefox or Opera, so I'm stuck with IE in those cases.

    Fernando Cacciola
    SciSoft

    Remove Java Toolbar

    & also dowload spyware remover from download.com and run a scan.

    In article <O1JcgS7sFHA.3264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
    fernando_cacciola@hotmail.com says...
    > The machine came with Norton AV and the XP firewall ON.. but about 2 weeks
    > ago its subscription was over and it took me about 3 days to buy and install
    > Norton Interner Security. Thus, the machine run with an overdue AV for about
    > 3 days (but with the firewall still on). I had also installed (from the
    > beginnig) Microsoft Anti-Spyware and enabled RealTime protection.

    For Norton, expired does not mean it isn't running, it just means it's
    not getting new updates. I don't install beta software, so I don't use
    MSAS.

    > This is my wife's notebook so I took some time to investigate the problem ;)
    > When I finally did, I installed Norton Internet Security, updated it, turned
    > off XP firewall, and a first virus scan found no virues.
    > Then I encountered that MS Anti Spyware was "expired" so I had to uninstall
    > it and re-install it again. On the first scan, it found a couple of spyware
    > startups: One named "" (or some space-like char sequence) and another I
    > don't quite remember how it was called, but it had a name of the form:
    > "apparently_normal.exe <garbage chars>")

    It sounds like you need to check with better anti-spyware tools and with
    updated Antivirus tools.

    Once you install a couple of these, reboot in safe mode to run them -
    it's easier to clean your system when running in safe mode.

    Read and follow these links as needed to fix your system:

    Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
    of non-vendor site you have no guarantee that the files are unmodified
    or uncompromised. Anyone providing a link to a non-vendors site with a
    direct download should not be trusted, the vendors sites are the safest
    place to download their application.

    Also, do not post your log files here - there are HiJack groups for just
    that purpose, not to mention all the web based forums setup for looking
    at them.

    Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.

    AdAwareSE can be found here:

    SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:

    Ewido Security Suite Trial can be found here:
    http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

    You can also download Symantec Trial version of their Antivirus software
    from here:
    http://www.symantec.com/downloads/

    Download AVG Personal Free edition from here:
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

    These are the actual vendors sites, not some unknown or authorized no-
    name site. They also don't artificially increase the hits for sites that
    get paid for the amount of traffic they can generate like one poster has
    admitted to in this group.

    When running these application, install them, update them, then reboot
    in SAFE MODE and run them again to get even more things.

    If you take nothing else from this post, remember the following:

    Only download files from Trusted Sites.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Rose9994You wrote:
    > Remove Java Toolbar

    Hmm, OK, will try.

    > & also dowload spyware remover from download.com and run a scan.

    Well, I use MS AntiSpyware, but as Leythos suggested I'll try others too.

    Thanks

    Fernando Cacciola
    SciSoft

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <O1JcgS7sFHA.3264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
    > fernando_cacciola@hotmail.com says...
    >> The machine came with Norton AV and the XP firewall ON.. but about 2
    >> weeks ago its subscription was over and it took me about 3 days to
    >> buy and install Norton Interner Security. Thus, the machine run with
    >> an overdue AV for about 3 days (but with the firewall still on). I
    >> had also installed (from the beginnig) Microsoft Anti-Spyware and
    >> enabled RealTime protection.
    >
    > For Norton, expired does not mean it isn't running, it just means it's
    > not getting new updates.

    Yes I know.. I just wondered if a very recent new virus just walked in
    during that period.

    > I don't install beta software, so I don't use
    > MSAS.

    Hmnm... good advice... MSAS is kind of *cute*, so I liked it... but I
    shouldn't blindly trust it being a beta.

    >> This is my wife's notebook so I took some time to investigate the
    >> problem ;) When I finally did, I installed Norton Internet Security,
    >> updated it, turned off XP firewall, and a first virus scan found no
    >> virues.
    >> Then I encountered that MS Anti Spyware was "expired" so I had to
    >> uninstall it and re-install it again. On the first scan, it found a
    >> couple of spyware startups: One named "" (or some space-like char
    >> sequence) and another I don't quite remember how it was called, but
    >> it had a name of the form: "apparently_normal.exe <garbage
    >> chars>")
    >
    > It sounds like you need to check with better anti-spyware tools and
    > with updated Antivirus tools.

    Hmmm, ya, of course. I shouldn't just relay on those I use.

    > Once you install a couple of these, reboot in safe mode to run them -
    > it's easier to clean your system when running in safe mode.

    oh, never thought running in safe mode was neccesary. OK.

    > Read and follow these links as needed to fix your system:
    >
    > Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
    > of non-vendor site you have no guarantee that the files are unmodified
    > or uncompromised. Anyone providing a link to a non-vendors site with a
    > direct download should not be trusted, the vendors sites are the
    > safest place to download their application.

    Ha, good advice.... I was doing that anyway but mainly just because I like
    to know the vendor.
    Never thought of making a systematic habit of it though. Great advice!

    > Also, do not post your log files here - there are HiJack groups for
    > just that purpose, not to mention all the web based forums setup for
    > looking
    > at them.

    OK

    >Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.

    :-)

    > AdAwareSE can be found here:
    > http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
    >
    > SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    >
    > Ewido Security Suite Trial can be found here:
    > http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
    >
    > You can also download Symantec Trial version of their Antivirus
    > software from here:
    > http://www.symantec.com/downloads/
    >
    > Download AVG Personal Free edition from here:
    > http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

    Txs for the links.
    I'm a long time user of SpyBot, but I got "seduced" my MS AntiSpyware and
    install it instead in my wife's notebook.
    AVG crashed on me way too often last time I tried, but I've seen reports of
    it finding viruses NAV misses so...

    Thank you

    Fernando Cacciola
    SciSoft

    In article <#sR37YGtFHA.2912@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    fernando_cacciola@hotmail.com says...
    > Rose9994You wrote:
    > > Remove Java Toolbar
    > >
    > Hmm, OK, will try.
    >
    > > & also dowload spyware remover from download.com and run a scan.
    >
    > Well, I use MS AntiSpyware, but as Leythos suggested I'll try others too.

    Do you also have FireFox installed on this computer?

    --

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <#sR37YGtFHA.2912@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
    > fernando_cacciola@hotmail.com says...
    >> Rose9994You wrote:
    >>> Remove Java Toolbar
    >>>
    >> Hmm, OK, will try.
    >>
    >>> & also dowload spyware remover from download.com and run a scan.
    >>
    >> Well, I use MS AntiSpyware, but as Leythos suggested I'll try others
    >> too.
    >
    > Do you also have FireFox installed on this computer?

    Not in that computer.

    Fernando Cacciola

    In article <OD47veGtFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    fernando_cacciola@hotmail.com says...
    > Leythos wrote:
    > > In article <O1JcgS7sFHA.3264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
    > > fernando_cacciola@hotmail.com says...
    > >> The machine came with Norton AV and the XP firewall ON.. but about 2
    > >> weeks ago its subscription was over and it took me about 3 days to
    > >> buy and install Norton Interner Security. Thus, the machine run with
    > >> an overdue AV for about 3 days (but with the firewall still on). I
    > >> had also installed (from the beginnig) Microsoft Anti-Spyware and
    > >> enabled RealTime protection.
    > >
    > > For Norton, expired does not mean it isn't running, it just means it's
    > > not getting new updates.
    >
    > Yes I know.. I just wondered if a very recent new virus just walked in
    > during that period.
    >
    > > I don't install beta software, so I don't use
    > > MSAS.
    > >
    > Hmnm... good advice... MSAS is kind of *cute*, so I liked it... but I
    > shouldn't blindly trust it being a beta.
    >
    > >> This is my wife's notebook so I took some time to investigate the
    > >> problem ;) When I finally did, I installed Norton Internet Security,
    > >> updated it, turned off XP firewall, and a first virus scan found no
    > >> virues.
    > >> Then I encountered that MS Anti Spyware was "expired" so I had to
    > >> uninstall it and re-install it again. On the first scan, it found a
    > >> couple of spyware startups: One named "" (or some space-like char
    > >> sequence) and another I don't quite remember how it was called, but
    > >> it had a name of the form: "apparently_normal.exe <garbage
    > >> chars>")
    > >
    > > It sounds like you need to check with better anti-spyware tools and
    > > with updated Antivirus tools.
    > >
    > Hmmm, ya, of course. I shouldn't just relay on those I use.
    >
    > > Once you install a couple of these, reboot in safe mode to run them -
    > > it's easier to clean your system when running in safe mode.
    > >
    > oh, never thought running in safe mode was neccesary. OK.

    When you run in Safe Mode many normal services are not started and only
    the minimum to boot is loaded - there are still viruses that can run in
    safe mode, but most spyware doesn't load if you boot in safe mode.

    > > Read and follow these links as needed to fix your system:
    > >
    > > Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
    > > of non-vendor site you have no guarantee that the files are unmodified
    > > or uncompromised. Anyone providing a link to a non-vendors site with a
    > > direct download should not be trusted, the vendors sites are the
    > > safest place to download their application.
    > >
    > Ha, good advice.... I was doing that anyway but mainly just because I like
    > to know the vendor.
    > Never thought of making a systematic habit of it though. Great advice!

    If you get into learning about the basics of security you will find that
    you should do simple things, never download from a site you are unsure
    about - there are many bad things posted on personal sites. Never run
    P2P software for sharing files/music - most of it contains things you
    don't want and may never know about. Don't use IE when you have any
    choice - unless you set it for High-Security mode, and then most
    websites don't display correctly if you do (HS mode).

    Only run as an administrator level account when needed - run as a normal
    user account by default, if offers a lot less chance of being
    compromised.

    If you don't have a network in your home or you only have 1 computer,
    disable File and Printer sharing in the Network settings - limits the
    chance someone can connect to your computer.

    If you have a NAT Router or Firewall, block outbound traffic going to
    ports 135~139, 445, 1433,1434 - makes it harder for your compromised
    systems to spread viruses (doesn't stop everything, but if you look at
    all the daily scans, port 445 is one of the most frequent and is not
    needed outside your local network)

    > > Also, do not post your log files here - there are HiJack groups for
    > > just that purpose, not to mention all the web based forums setup for
    > > looking
    > > at them.
    > >
    > OK
    >
    > >Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.
    > >
    > :-)
    >
    > > AdAwareSE can be found here:
    > > http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
    > >
    > > SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:
    > > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    > >
    > > Ewido Security Suite Trial can be found here:
    > > http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
    > >
    > > You can also download Symantec Trial version of their Antivirus
    > > software from here:
    > > http://www.symantec.com/downloads/
    > >
    > > Download AVG Personal Free edition from here:
    > > http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
    > >
    > Txs for the links.
    > I'm a long time user of SpyBot, but I got "seduced" my MS AntiSpyware and
    > install it instead in my wife's notebook.
    > AVG crashed on me way too often last time I tried, but I've seen reports of
    > it finding viruses NAV misses so...

    We installed AVG on personal computers for about 80 Sorority residents
    last year, getting ready to do it again if they need it. It was version
    6 and shortly they came out with version 7. We didn't see any issues
    with the late version 6 or the version 7 AVG at all.

    I never run BETA tools on a system I want to have working, and while
    MSAS might be a nice tool, I'm going to keep using AdAwareSE and SBS&D
    as they are something I've seen work for ages.

    As for AVG catching things Norton missed - it would be interesting to
    see if AVG caught things that were quarantined in NAV or if they were
    spyware (which is not something Norton does in older versions), of if
    they were real viruses.

    --

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <OD47veGtFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
    > fernando_cacciola@hotmail.com says...
    >> [SNIP]
    >>
    >>> Once you install a couple of these, reboot in safe mode to run them
    >>> - it's easier to clean your system when running in safe mode.
    >>>
    >> oh, never thought running in safe mode was neccesary. OK.
    >
    > When you run in Safe Mode many normal services are not started and
    > only
    > the minimum to boot is loaded - there are still viruses that can run
    > in safe mode, but most spyware doesn't load if you boot in safe mode.

    Ya I know that, but I figured the tools would find just the same. Maybe not.

    >>> Read and follow these links as needed to fix your system:
    >>>
    >>> Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the
    >>> case of non-vendor site you have no guarantee that the files are
    >>> unmodified or uncompromised. Anyone providing a link to a
    >>> non-vendors site with a direct download should not be trusted, the
    >>> vendors sites are the
    >>> safest place to download their application.
    >>>
    >> Ha, good advice.... I was doing that anyway but mainly just because
    >> I like to know the vendor.
    >> Never thought of making a systematic habit of it though. Great
    >> advice!
    >
    > If you get into learning about the basics of security you will find
    > that you should do simple things, never download from a site you are
    > unsure about - there are many bad things posted on personal sites.
    > Never run
    > P2P software for sharing files/music - most of it contains things you
    > don't want and may never know about.
    > Don't use IE when you have any
    > choice - unless you set it for High-Security mode, and then most
    > websites don't display correctly if you do (HS mode).

    Ya. I use Opera mostly, Firefox when Opera fails, and IE when I have no
    choice.
    Unfortunately, lots of sites here in Argentina work only with IE, so I'm
    stuck with it.

    > Only run as an administrator level account when needed - run as a
    > normal user account by default, if offers a lot less chance of being
    > compromised.

    Ha well, I do that rutinely when I use Linux...
    I never thought it would be the same in XP.
    Now that I look at my own mindset, I realize that I've been using Windows
    since 3.1 and so I think of XP as a Win95 with a cool UI... (as far as
    security is concerned)... Maybe I should give it more credit.

    > if you don't have a network in your home or you only have 1 computer,
    > disable File and Printer sharing in the Network settings - limits the
    > chance someone can connect to your computer.

    I actually have a home network of 3 PCs: two running XP Home (though both
    can boot on Debian which I occasionally do) and 1 running Debian only.

    > If you have a NAT Router or Firewall,

    As I do.

    > block outbound traffic going to
    > ports 135~139, 445, 1433,1434 - makes it harder for your compromised
    > systems to spread viruses (doesn't stop everything, but if you look at
    > all the daily scans, port 445 is one of the most frequent and is not
    > needed outside your local network)

    Ha great, will do.

    My business is 24/7 software development and parenthood :-) and both keep me
    totally busy. I admit I never took the time to systematically learn about
    security.. I just follow the trends and general advice that I read
    incidentally on news, forums, etc...
    Each time I decide to read something about security I start some endless
    document about it and I run out of time before I can get any sense of it.
    The subject is so huge...
    Do you perhaps know of a very very short introduction to it that can be read
    by a really busy user (that just wants to keep its own home network
    moderately secure). TIA

    >> Txs for the links.
    >> I'm a long time user of SpyBot, but I got "seduced" my MS
    >> AntiSpyware and install it instead in my wife's notebook.
    >> AVG crashed on me way too often last time I tried, but I've seen
    >> reports of it finding viruses NAV misses so...
    >
    > We installed AVG on personal computers for about 80 Sorority residents
    > last year, getting ready to do it again if they need it. It was
    > version 6 and shortly they came out with version 7. We didn't see any
    > issues
    > with the late version 6 or the version 7 AVG at all.

    Hmmm. I shall try again then.

    > I never run BETA tools on a system I want to have working, and while
    > MSAS might be a nice tool, I'm going to keep using AdAwareSE and SBS&D
    > as they are something I've seen work for ages.

    Ya, I should do the same.

    > As for AVG catching things Norton missed - it would be interesting to
    > see if AVG caught things that were quarantined in NAV or if they were
    > spyware (which is not something Norton does in older versions), of if
    > they were real viruses.

    Well, when I first looked at AVG I scanned the web for discussions of it and
    read, at least in two places, of support experts reporting that the machines
    they recieved whith AVG had less virues overall than with any other AV,
    including NAV and MacAfee. *I* interpreted that as meaning that AVG finds
    more viruses.
    They surely implied that they did recieve infected machines even with some
    AV installed.
    Now of course there can be other reasons like most people having illegal and
    outdated AV copies... except of AVG been free. I often run into people with
    dial-up connections that always says no when the AV ask to go for a
    definitions update; and people with cable connections saying no because they
    fear the vendor will see they use an illegal copy. And a lot of people here
    still use illegal copies even of security products.

    Best,

    Fernando Cacciola

Windows XP