WinXP Pro / WinXP Home - Number of Connections ?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Pro is limited to 10 user connections and Home is limited to 5.

Two questions:

1. Is a mapped drive considered a user connection?

2. How many mapped drives are allowed? (A-Z but is their a limit to the real
number that can be cross-connected)

Have a network of 7 workstations (XP Home) with a pseudo-server using XP
Pro. Added a program and had to map another drive and getting the error
message about having to many drives mapped. Never saw this one before. Have
a lot of drives mapped on the network to share some independent databases
that are stored on various workstations. At least 6 drives are mapped to
each workstation plus some virtual CD drives are installed on most systems.

Thanks,

Bob S.

"Bob" <no-spam@abc.com> wrote:

>Pro is limited to 10 user connections and Home is limited to 5.
>
>Two questions:
>
>1. Is a mapped drive considered a user connection?
>
>2. How many mapped drives are allowed? (A-Z but is their a limit to the real
>number that can be cross-connected)
>
>Have a network of 7 workstations (XP Home) with a pseudo-server using XP
>Pro. Added a program and had to map another drive and getting the error
>message about having to many drives mapped. Never saw this one before. Have
>a lot of drives mapped on the network to share some independent databases
>that are stored on various workstations. At least 6 drives are mapped to
>each workstation plus some virtual CD drives are installed on most systems.

You will probably have a better chance of getting a response to this
question if you post it to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web as
that is where the real network gurus are more likely to be found.

A mapped drive is not normally considered to be an additional user
connection. It is the number of user names that are logged in, so if
some of your PCs have multiple users configured and they are switching
users rather than logging off then that might account for the problem.

I have never encountered an error message involving "too many drives
mapped" and can't seem to find anything about it. Can you provide the
complete verbatim text of the error message, exactly as it appears on
the screen? Also how many drives do you have mapped? I have a
client who had no problems with Windows XP Pro on their server and
they had 8 workstations and there were 6 mapped drives on the server
with each workstation connecting to at least 5 of them.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ron,

Although there is more to this, it's late, so I'll give the short version.
Each workstation has between 3 to 6 drives mapped, plus on a couple, there
are the extra 2 virtual drives.

The error message is (shows in a box with "Windows" showing in top left
corner) with the text as follows:

"The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error
occurred:
No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because
there are already as many connections as the computer can accept."

So it's not the computer I'm working on, it's the computer I'm mapping to.
I could map to all the other workstations except the one I wanted which was
giving me the error message above. The wording leads you to believe there
are to many users connected....read on.

I went to that system (XP Home) and used a program (TCPView) to see how many
user connections are active. Only me. I'm using UltraVNC and I connected
remotely tonight - no other users connected and I made sure all systems were
not running any applications. I could see that the workstation was seeing
all the other systems on the network and showed the NetBIOS connections.
Other than me as a user being connected - nothing else unusual.

I then looked at the mapped drives on that system and found 8 mapped
drives - up from 6 - it has grown two connections somehow. Both of the
extras had "none" as a drive letter. I disconnected those ghost drives, went
back to the other workstation and then I was able to map the drive to that
system no problem. Can't see how it could cause the problem but it was.

I've seen this before (none) but didn't pay any attention to it thinking it
was one of the applications that made a temporary drive connection but
didn't disconnect it properly. Have to do some research on that one.

I'll post in the ng you suggested but since you took the time to help, the
least I could do is follow-up with you here.

Thanks for your help and I'll check back here in case you have some other
ideas....

Bob S.

> "Bob" <no-spam@abc.com> wrote:
>
>>Pro is limited to 10 user connections and Home is limited to 5.
>>
>>Two questions:
>>
>>1. Is a mapped drive considered a user connection?
>>
>>2. How many mapped drives are allowed? (A-Z but is their a limit to the
>>real
>>number that can be cross-connected)
>>
>>Have a network of 7 workstations (XP Home) with a pseudo-server using XP
>>Pro. Added a program and had to map another drive and getting the error
>>message about having to many drives mapped. Never saw this one before.
>>Have
>>a lot of drives mapped on the network to share some independent databases
>>that are stored on various workstations. At least 6 drives are mapped to
>>each workstation plus some virtual CD drives are installed on most
>>systems.
>
> You will probably have a better chance of getting a response to this
> question if you post it to microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web as
> that is where the real network gurus are more likely to be found.
>
> A mapped drive is not normally considered to be an additional user
> connection. It is the number of user names that are logged in, so if
> some of your PCs have multiple users configured and they are switching
> users rather than logging off then that might account for the problem.
>
> I have never encountered an error message involving "too many drives
> mapped" and can't seem to find anything about it. Can you provide the
> complete verbatim text of the error message, exactly as it appears on
> the screen? Also how many drives do you have mapped? I have a
> client who had no problems with Windows XP Pro on their server and
> they had 8 workstations and there were 6 mapped drives on the server
> with each workstation connecting to at least 5 of them.
>
> Hope this is of some assistance.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

I have run across a 98SE pc here that I have to limit how many other pc's
map the "Audio Files" folder. Limit seems to be 5 pc's can connect, sixth
gets "refused".