Add Remove Problems

Hi

Please can somebody help me? I am having problems with Win XP Pro SP2 in
relation to the Add Remove function in the control panel. I have several
programmes listed that will not allow me to remove them! When I click on
programmes I get an option to remove them which is the correct function but
I have about 10 programmes that do not allow me to do this. Is there anyway
I can repair this problem, I guess it something to do with a Windows
Installer problem and my registry (I think so)

But Restore offers no solution nor does any registry mechanic my system is
fine so I do not want to install again.

Cheers Dale
2 answers Last reply
More about remove problems

    [Presuming that the applications in question are not any type of virus or
    spyware:]

    It sometimes happens that 'Add or Remove Programs' becomes disconnected from
    one or more of the programs it lists. Just 'one of those things' and nothing
    to worry about.

    You can reinstall the programs, which usually reacquaints Add or Remove
    Programs with its children, and then uninstall. Or, you can uninstall the
    program from Windows Explorer if you know the name of the uninstall
    executable.

    If successfully uninstalling the program still leaves an entry in 'Add or
    Remove' you'll have to edit the registry to get it out.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Thorrrr" <thorrrr@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Please can somebody help me? I am having problems with Win XP Pro SP2 in
    > relation to the Add Remove function in the control panel. I have several
    > programmes listed that will not allow me to remove them! When I click on
    > programmes I get an option to remove them which is the correct function
    but
    > I have about 10 programmes that do not allow me to do this. Is there
    anyway
    > I can repair this problem, I guess it something to do with a Windows
    > Installer problem and my registry (I think so)
    >
    > But Restore offers no solution nor does any registry mechanic my system is
    > fine so I do not want to install again.
    >
    > Cheers Dale

    Some programs do this on purpose.

    Some applications in Add/Remove Programs list are missing Change and Remove
    buttons
    http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:ufTqqc7sFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Thorrrr <thorrrr@blueyonder.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi
    >
    > Please can somebody help me? I am having problems with Win XP Pro SP2 in
    > relation to the Add Remove function in the control panel. I have several
    > programmes listed that will not allow me to remove them! When I click on
    > programmes I get an option to remove them which is the correct function
    > but I have about 10 programmes that do not allow me to do this. Is there
    > anyway I can repair this problem, I guess it something to do with a
    > Windows Installer problem and my registry (I think so)
    >
    > But Restore offers no solution nor does any registry mechanic my system is
    > fine so I do not want to install again.
    >
    > Cheers Dale

Windows XP