hard disk failure and XP Pro reinstall

My Dell hard disk died yesterday and Dell have replaced it today. Of course
all the Dell disks are in their cellophane wrappers EXCEPT the one with XP
on it. Resigned to having to spend a small fortune on a new copy I notice
the product key for XP Pro is on a sticker on the side of the case. I
have an upgrade copy of XP Pro I bought for my lap top, which I seem to
recall someone saying is actually the full version. As I have a valid
licence can I use that disk to reinstall XP?

Dell can't cope with this situation (as if it has never happened before).
Can someone offer any advice?
4 answers Last reply
More about hard disk failure reinstall

    Unfortunately you can't install the same copy of XP on more than one
    computer at a time. JJ

    "Tom" <hawksmoor1661@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My Dell hard disk died yesterday and Dell have replaced it today. Of
    > course all the Dell disks are in their cellophane wrappers EXCEPT the one
    > with XP on it. Resigned to having to spend a small fortune on a new copy
    > I notice the product key for XP Pro is on a sticker on the side of the
    > case. I have an upgrade copy of XP Pro I bought for my lap top, which I
    > seem to recall someone saying is actually the full version. As I have a
    > valid licence can I use that disk to reinstall XP?
    >
    > Dell can't cope with this situation (as if it has never happened before).
    > Can someone offer any advice?

    Sorry, off topic, but Dell have relented and are sending me a replacement
    disk. I've slagged off Dell a lot recently for being incompetent, unhelpful
    and slow so I hope things may be a-changing for the better. This is a vast
    improvement on my last experience wth them.

    "Tom" <hawksmoor1661@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My Dell hard disk died yesterday and Dell have replaced it today. Of
    > course all the Dell disks are in their cellophane wrappers EXCEPT the one
    > with XP on it. Resigned to having to spend a small fortune on a new copy
    > I notice the product key for XP Pro is on a sticker on the side of the
    > case. I have an upgrade copy of XP Pro I bought for my lap top, which I
    > seem to recall someone saying is actually the full version. As I have a
    > valid licence can I use that disk to reinstall XP?
    >
    > Dell can't cope with this situation (as if it has never happened before).
    > Can someone offer any advice?

    Like many situations in life, it depends upon whom you deal with and how you
    deal with them.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    > Sorry, off topic, but Dell have relented and are sending me a replacement
    > disk. I've slagged off Dell a lot recently for being incompetent,
    unhelpful
    > and slow so I hope things may be a-changing for the better. This is a
    vast
    > improvement on my last experience wth them.
    >

    > "Tom" <hawksmoor1661@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > My Dell hard disk died yesterday and Dell have replaced it today. Of
    > > course all the Dell disks are in their cellophane wrappers EXCEPT the
    one
    > > with XP on it. Resigned to having to spend a small fortune on a new
    copy
    > > I notice the product key for XP Pro is on a sticker on the side of the
    > > case. I have an upgrade copy of XP Pro I bought for my lap top, which
    > > seem to recall someone saying is actually the full version. As I have a
    > > valid licence can I use that disk to reinstall XP?
    > >
    > > Dell can't cope with this situation (as if it has never happened
    before).
    > > Can someone offer any advice?

    "Tom" <hawksmoor1661@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Sorry, off topic, but Dell have relented and are sending me a replacement
    >disk. I've slagged off Dell a lot recently for being incompetent, unhelpful
    >and slow so I hope things may be a-changing for the better. This is a vast
    >improvement on my last experience wth them.

    I had exactly the same experience with Dell when a client called me in
    to help him transfer his data etc. from the old computer and configure
    the new one for his home network etc.

    The hard drive in the new Dell was DOA. Dell replaced it the next
    day, but did not load Windows etc. onto the disk. It took 2 more days
    to get the software from Dell and then about 4 hours of my time to
    partition and format the new hard drive and get everything installed.

    The client was not amused.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP