Keyboard gone funny after wireless connection

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi there

I was experimenting with the program Net Stumbler this evening and my
wireless card found a Wireless Network.

I typed IPCONFIG /ALL and recorded the details

I setup the wireless card to use the same DNS server as the Wireless Network
and then connected to the net no problem. I disconnected about 5 minutes
later!

I noticed about 10 minutes after that my keyboard was acting very strangely.
When I pressed certain letters they would not appear, numbers would show in
their place.

I ran through the alphabet and got the following

abcdefgh51230n6-qrst4vwxyz

I have checked my keyboard and regional settings and they are all United
Kingdom. I have re-started which has not helped and even removed the
Wireless Card and un-installed Net Stumbler but the problem is still there.

Can anyone offer any advise?

Windows XP SP4

Thanks in advance

Jack

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001

"Jack" <joeblggd@ddd.ddd> wrote in

> I noticed about 10 minutes after that my keyboard was acting very
> strangely. When I pressed certain letters they would not appear, numbers
> would show in their place.
>
> I ran through the alphabet and got the following
>
> abcdefgh51230n6-qrst4vwxyz

Laptop? Looks like these keys are acting as a numberpad. j, k, and l are
all in a row, and equate to 1, 2, and 3. 4, 5, and 6 seem to be u, i, and
o. Zero is on m. P seems to be -, I would imagine ; would be +. Some
laptops do exactly this.

> Windows XP SP4

Really? There's your problem then, your machine, or at least your OS, is
from the future. Service Pack 2 is only just now being discussed.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

> > Windows XP SP4
>
> Really? There's your problem then, your machine, or at least your OS, is
> from the future. Service Pack 2 is only just now being discussed.

Okay, it is SP2, I doubt the service pack has anything to do it with it, as
you were kind enough to mention, it is fictional! there is always one trekky
fan out there who loves to spot a pointless error when others are trying to
help. HAVE A NICE DAY HOWARD ;-)

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

The Num Lock key was on :) (Howard likes to call it the numer key!) Just
kidding

I was so sure it had something to do with the wireless connection, I didnt
take the time to look at something so simple Doh! :)

Cheers guys

On 7 Jun 2004 01:32:56 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Howard
<stile99@email.com.> wrote:

>"Jack" <joeblggd@ddd.ddd> wrote in
>
>> I noticed about 10 minutes after that my keyboard was acting very
>> strangely. When I pressed certain letters they would not appear, numbers
>> would show in their place.
>>
>> I ran through the alphabet and got the following
>>
>> abcdefgh51230n6-qrst4vwxyz

Sounds like you have a multi-function keyboard with fn-lock enabled. Some
magic keystrokes will stop this, read your computer or keyboard manual.

>> Windows XP SP4
>
>Really? There's your problem then, your machine, or at least your OS, is
>from the future. Service Pack 2 is only just now being discussed.

Gratuitous stupid remarks like that don't help anyone much.

--
Mark McIntyre

TRENDING THREADS