USB Connections not detected

i have a computer with two USB connections in the front and back. they have
been working before but have now stopped detecting anything plugged into
them. i have tried plugging in to all four USB slots an ipod, HP printer,
and memory card reader. nothing is detected. i take those devices to
another computer and they are detected once plugged in.

i have gone to the device manager and uninstalled the USB Host controllers
and then ran a scan. they host controllers and root hubs are detected, but
still the devices are not detected.

i have also ran a system restore to a week before this began and the devices
are still not detected. i am running out of things to try and would like to
use my printer and ipod.

any help would be appreciated! thanks!

Byte

Try again, turn off the PC and plug in a printer, thumbdrive or memory
card and then reboot, see if it detects it/them. If not, you've got a USB
port problem.
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"Larz" wrote:

> i have a computer with two USB connections in the front and back. they have
> been working before but have now stopped detecting anything plugged into
> them. i have tried plugging in to all four USB slots an ipod, HP printer,
> and memory card reader. nothing is detected. i take those devices to
> another computer and they are detected once plugged in.
>
> i have gone to the device manager and uninstalled the USB Host controllers
> and then ran a scan. they host controllers and root hubs are detected, but
> still the devices are not detected.
>
> i have also ran a system restore to a week before this began and the devices
> are still not detected. i am running out of things to try and would like to
> use my printer and ipod.
>
> any help would be appreciated! thanks!

JJ

Reinstall the board drivers. JJ

"Larz" <Larz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a computer with two USB connections in the front and back. they
>have
> been working before but have now stopped detecting anything plugged into
> them. i have tried plugging in to all four USB slots an ipod, HP printer,
> and memory card reader. nothing is detected. i take those devices to
> another computer and they are detected once plugged in.
>
> i have gone to the device manager and uninstalled the USB Host controllers
> and then ran a scan. they host controllers and root hubs are detected,
> but
> still the devices are not detected.
>
> i have also ran a system restore to a week before this began and the
> devices
> are still not detected. i am running out of things to try and would like
> use my printer and ipod.
>
> any help would be appreciated! thanks!

Try running your virus/spyware removal programs. For the spyware removal I
use Lavasoft Ad-Aware which should be run three times consecutively, Spybot
search & Destroy and Microsoft Antispyware (all free downloads).Then restart
your computer connect to the internet, then go into device manager and
uninstall then reinstall new drivers and see if that works. Good luck. I see
a lot of usb problems caused by virus/spyware stuff.
--
I hope this helps. Jim

"Larz" wrote:

> i have a computer with two USB connections in the front and back. they have
> been working before but have now stopped detecting anything plugged into
> them. i have tried plugging in to all four USB slots an ipod, HP printer,
> and memory card reader. nothing is detected. i take those devices to
> another computer and they are detected once plugged in.
>
> i have gone to the device manager and uninstalled the USB Host controllers
> and then ran a scan. they host controllers and root hubs are detected, but
> still the devices are not detected.
>
> i have also ran a system restore to a week before this began and the devices
> are still not detected. i am running out of things to try and would like to
> use my printer and ipod.
>
> any help would be appreciated! thanks!

thanks for the tips!

i have tried all these and my usb STILL will not detect ANY usb devices. i
think i might be giving up hope. it may be time for a format and reinstall
of windows. . .

it is really crazy that it is all gone all of a sudden. . . .

any more tips would be appreciated!

"Courage97" wrote:

> Try running your virus/spyware removal programs. For the spyware removal I
> use Lavasoft Ad-Aware which should be run three times consecutively, Spybot
> search & Destroy and Microsoft Antispyware (all free downloads).Then restart
> your computer connect to the internet, then go into device manager and
> uninstall then reinstall new drivers and see if that works. Good luck. I see
> a lot of usb problems caused by virus/spyware stuff.
> --
> I hope this helps. Jim
>

> "Larz" wrote:
>
> > i have a computer with two USB connections in the front and back. they have
> > been working before but have now stopped detecting anything plugged into
> > them. i have tried plugging in to all four USB slots an ipod, HP printer,
> > and memory card reader. nothing is detected. i take those devices to
> > another computer and they are detected once plugged in.
> >
> > i have gone to the device manager and uninstalled the USB Host controllers
> > and then ran a scan. they host controllers and root hubs are detected, but
> > still the devices are not detected.
> >
> > i have also ran a system restore to a week before this began and the devices
> > are still not detected. i am running out of things to try and would like to
> > use my printer and ipod.
> >
> > any help would be appreciated! thanks!

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:16:03 -0700, "Larz"
<Larz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>thanks for the tips!
>
>i have tried all these and my usb STILL will not detect ANY usb devices. i
>think i might be giving up hope. it may be time for a format and reinstall
>of windows. . .
>
>it is really crazy that it is all gone all of a sudden. . . .
>
>any more tips would be appreciated!

Does the machine for USB ports in the back of the computer? Btw, what
make and year is the computer? Some of the older computer's USB ports
seem to have a real diffcult time with XP.

it was a custom made computer last year. 2.4 ghz 512mb ram, 120gb hard
drive. the usb ports were working up to last week, then dead. there are 4
in the back and 2 in the front. all of them, including the back do not work.
i have uninstalled them through device manager, restarted the computer,
nothing. i even tried going back with system restore 2 weeks ago, but
nothing still. i also tried another windows profile or user, nothing.

just lots of questions. . . . .

thanks!

"<----- Which Way ----->" wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:16:03 -0700, "Larz"
> <Larz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >thanks for the tips!
> >
> >i have tried all these and my usb STILL will not detect ANY usb devices. i
> >think i might be giving up hope. it may be time for a format and reinstall
> >of windows. . .
> >
> >it is really crazy that it is all gone all of a sudden. . . .
> >
> >any more tips would be appreciated!
> >

> Does the machine for USB ports in the back of the computer? Btw, what
> make and year is the computer? Some of the older computer's USB ports
> seem to have a real diffcult time with XP.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Have you checked the BIOS settings? Ther is an enable/disable/1.1/2.0 option
selection in the BIOS on many of the current systems.