Unable to retrieve data from floppy disk

September 7, 2005 1:49:02 PM

I am unable to retrieve data from previously readable floppy disk. Message
comes up that disk needs to be formatted. Have tried this floppy on other
PCs with similar results. Will I be able to retrieve data once disk is
formatted, or will data be lost?
--
Ken
Anonymous

Formatting destroys all data on the floppy, but there is no data there now
anyway. Have you tried reading the disk on a Win98 computer, or the computer
that created it?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am unable to retrieve data from previously readable floppy disk.
>Message
> comes up that disk needs to be formatted. Have tried this floppy on other
> PCs with similar results. Will I be able to retrieve data once disk is
> formatted, or will data be lost?
> --
> Ken
September 7, 2005 5:31:11 PM

Have tried on creating computer with no success, but not on Win98 computer.
Last time floppy was used, I opened up contents, made changes to files,
printed from contained files, and saved changes again. No other error
messages received, but still now I am unable to read the disk.
--
Ken

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> Formatting destroys all data on the floppy, but there is no data there now
> anyway. Have you tried reading the disk on a Win98 computer, or the computer
> that created it?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am unable to retrieve data from previously readable floppy disk.
> >Message
> > comes up that disk needs to be formatted. Have tried this floppy on other
> > PCs with similar results. Will I be able to retrieve data once disk is
> > formatted, or will data be lost?
> > --
> > Ken

September 8, 2005 1:36:36 AM

Depends how badly you need the data, An app that enables you to read the
sectors 'may' enable recovery

!