Motherboard | CPU | Memory have failed.

Disk drive is less than 2 months old with XP Pro Installed.

As the original components are getting harder to find I'd like to know how
well Windows XP can handle a "brain transplant". I would be moving from
Athlon XP 1500+ to Sempron 2800+ or P4 2.8GHz. 256MB to 512MB (or higher)
memory.

Does XP tolerate this pretty well or am I better off re-installing the OS
and all software on a newly formatted drive. (I can be flexible on my CPU
choice to eliminate problems - Note I am not moving to Athlon 64 or Opteron
but if anyone here has done so, I'd be glad to hear from you as well.)

Thanks all.

"NayJo" <CrawNOSPAMforMEford@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Motherboard | CPU | Memory have failed.
>
>Disk drive is less than 2 months old with XP Pro Installed.
>
>As the original components are getting harder to find I'd like to know how
>well Windows XP can handle a "brain transplant". I would be moving from
>Athlon XP 1500+ to Sempron 2800+ or P4 2.8GHz. 256MB to 512MB (or higher)
>memory.
>
>Does XP tolerate this pretty well or am I better off re-installing the OS
>and all software on a newly formatted drive. (I can be flexible on my CPU
>choice to eliminate problems - Note I am not moving to Athlon 64 or Opteron
>but if anyone here has done so, I'd be glad to hear from you as well.)
>
>Thanks all.

Motherboard replacements in Windows XP generally go quite well, so it
is well worth making the attempt to adapt your installed XP to the new
hardware, bearing in mind that if things go blooey or if the results
are less than optimal then you still have the option of doing a
complete reformat and reinstall.

See http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html Please pay
particular attention to the comments regarding OEM versions of Windows
XP.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

The best thing would be to do a fresh install from scratch. XP won't like a
new brain and mobo without reactivating (WPA) anyway. If you have and use all
your original hardware install disks you should be fine, until you can update
on the web..
I'm afraid a repair install will leave intact the wrong chipset drivers
etc.(from the old mobo) which in-turn would cause serious errors on boot-up..
Why risk your new board, CPU, memory etc..?

j;-)

"NayJo" wrote:

> Motherboard | CPU | Memory have failed.
>
> Disk drive is less than 2 months old with XP Pro Installed.
>
> As the original components are getting harder to find I'd like to know how
> well Windows XP can handle a "brain transplant". I would be moving from
> Athlon XP 1500+ to Sempron 2800+ or P4 2.8GHz. 256MB to 512MB (or higher)
> memory.
>
> Does XP tolerate this pretty well or am I better off re-installing the OS
> and all software on a newly formatted drive. (I can be flexible on my CPU
> choice to eliminate problems - Note I am not moving to Athlon 64 or Opteron
> but if anyone here has done so, I'd be glad to hear from you as well.)
>
> Thanks all.

You current installation of XP will function and boot properly with the
changes you detailed - however you must reactivate XP within 3 DAYS (I am
stressing the 3 days - it is not the 30 day grace period for routine
installations) and keep in mind it is three days whether or not you use the
computer -a dialogue box will inform you of the requirement.
Try activation by internet first - if you are told XP had been previously
activated (you may luck out - activation records are inconsistent) - repeat
trying by internet and a screen will come up asking if you want to activate
by phone - say OK and another screen will appear giving the phone number to
dial and a multi-digit code number which you will be required to input by
phone. If you again are told there was a previous activation - stay on the
phone - you will get a "live" person - inform that person the you have
modified the computer.

dl

You would have to do a repair installation of winxp
Then ensure you install the chipset and possibly other drivers supplied with
your new mobo.
do NOT use winupdate for drivers

"NayJo" <CrawNOSPAMforMEford@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Motherboard | CPU | Memory have failed.
>
> Disk drive is less than 2 months old with XP Pro Installed.
>
> As the original components are getting harder to find I'd like to know how
> well Windows XP can handle a "brain transplant". I would be moving from
> Athlon XP 1500+ to Sempron 2800+ or P4 2.8GHz. 256MB to 512MB (or higher)
> memory.
>
> Does XP tolerate this pretty well or am I better off re-installing the OS
> and all software on a newly formatted drive. (I can be flexible on my CPU
> choice to eliminate problems - Note I am not moving to Athlon 64 or
Opteron
> but if anyone here has done so, I'd be glad to hear from you as well.)
>
> Thanks all.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Some instructions here:

Neil

NayJo wrote:
> Motherboard | CPU | Memory have failed.
>
> Disk drive is less than 2 months old with XP Pro Installed.
>
> As the original components are getting harder to find I'd like to know how
> well Windows XP can handle a "brain transplant". I would be moving from
> Athlon XP 1500+ to Sempron 2800+ or P4 2.8GHz. 256MB to 512MB (or higher)
> memory.
>
> Does XP tolerate this pretty well or am I better off re-installing the OS
> and all software on a newly formatted drive. (I can be flexible on my CPU
> choice to eliminate problems - Note I am not moving to Athlon 64 or Opteron
> but if anyone here has done so, I'd be glad to hear from you as well.)
>
> Thanks all.

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
upgrade) installation, at the very least:

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
"tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm