Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2002 2:36:49 PM

I am in the market for a video card for my computer but after reading many reviews, I am only more confused. I have really narrowed it down to 2 choices: ATI Radeon 8500 vs. a GeForce 3 Ti200. I am basically looking to spend about $200 or less. I'm curious what others think. I have heard the 8500 is faster, but there have been multiple driver issues. Especially ones with Windows XP, which is the OS I am running. I welcome opinions on which video card is the best for my price range. I am very interested in today's games (i.e. Wolfenstein and Medal of Honor) and want a card that can handle them easily.

My System
Sony Vaio RX 572, P4, 1.8 gHz, 256 megs RAM
Monitor: Sony Triniton flat screen

I welcome all opinions

More about : radeon 8500 gf3

March 1, 2002 3:06:01 PM

8500 is the fastest of the 2 ,but Ti200 has better support (drivers)

IF you decide to go with the ATI go for the retail one directly from ATI (the price diffence between retail and OEM are not that mutch)

The faster a computer is, the faster it will reach a crashed state :eek: 
March 1, 2002 3:26:34 PM

Quote:

8500 is the fastest of the 2 ,but Ti200 has better support (drivers)

Actually, "support" as in the amount of driver releases, ATI is ahead of nVidia. Their drivers are also improving at and extreme rate. Fixes are being applied every few days to new developer drivers and leaks/betas appear every two weeks or less. So if you do you have a problem with your R8500, chances are that a driver update will be available soon to fix it. ATI is now working closely with all the game makers to ensure that their games are optimized for the R8500, so that pretty much guarantees excellent support.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Related resources
March 1, 2002 9:44:44 PM

What Amd man said :) 

<i><font color=blue>If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.</font color=blue></i>
March 2, 2002 4:50:27 PM

At stock speed the R8500 is faster, but the Ti200 is highly overclockable, and its easily done through the included software. Im not sure about the OC potential of the R8500, or if it can be done through software like the Ti200, but never judge graphics cards by their stock performance, as their OC'ing capabilities may differ significantly. You should ALWAYS OC EVERYTHING you can, but keep it perfectly stable. Since these two cards are about the same price, the R8500 may be a little more(try finding one thats open, where someone returned it for some reason, i saw a perfectly good one that had been opened for 150 at best buy), you should find out exactly how much you can OC either of them and compare that, and go with the winner, my guess would be the R8500 by a nose.

its not that intel CANT make a good processor, its that they just dont try
March 2, 2002 5:15:56 PM

The Ti200 can be oc to Ti500 speeds easily...

Sig of the week.
March 2, 2002 5:46:56 PM

if you are talking about the TI200, you can probably throw the Radeon 7500 into the mix as well.

<i> If you buy a pre-packaged pc, shame on you </i> :wink:
March 2, 2002 6:02:11 PM

I'd go with the R8500 myself. At $160USD or $289 CDN, the retail Radeon 8500 is dirt cheap and now outperforms the Ti200, TI500 and possbily the Ti4200 in OpenGL games. It's still behind the TI500 in DX games but I'm sure ATI will have more optimizations coming.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 2, 2002 7:20:27 PM

and you think nVidia wont have driver optimizations too?
and how many open GL games are there anyhow, DX is all that matters.

its not that intel CANT make a good processor, its that they just dont try
March 2, 2002 7:25:48 PM

Quote:

and you think nVidia wont have driver optimizations too?
and how many open GL games are there anyhow, DX is all that matters.

I firmly believe that nVidia has maxed out their optimizations fo rthe GF3 series of graphics cards. We've already seen a huge performance boost with the Detonator XPs and judging by nVidia's previous drivers and graphics chips, I would say you're not going to see more than 1-5% performance out of the GF3 cards in the future.

There are probably as many OpenGL games as there are DX games. If you think DX is all that matters then you are ignorant towards a huge number of amazing games (Half Life, Quake III, Serious Sam, RTCW, etc).

March 2, 2002 8:32:53 PM

the games u mentioned can be run in d3d. OGL tends to give lower performance, but u can optimize that by converting GF to quadro w/ simple driver hack.

Sig of the week.
March 2, 2002 8:36:28 PM

Quote:

the games u mentioned can be run in d3d.

They can? Cool! Mind telling me how though?

Quote:

but u can optimize that by converting GF to quadro w/ simple driver hack.

I don't think that the Quadro hack improves OpenGL games because the extensions that it includes aren't used in games.

March 2, 2002 9:17:00 PM

HL: u can select which video mode, I think there was something for serious sam also. I get higher performance in ogl games, so I assume converting to quadro would do that as well, at the cost of d3d rendering though.

Sig of the week.
March 6, 2002 11:37:46 PM

Which is still 25MHz GPU and 25MHz mem slower than the retail R8500 will overclock through software alone... and the Radeon is now at $140 US.

Using Powerstrip alone my 8500 runs at 302/302, 100% stable, no artifacts, and beats my friend's GF3Ti500 (which he has overclocked as well) in every single game (both running WinXP on XP1800+ systems).

"Put your desk in the corner." - Stephen King
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2002 11:47:16 PM

Cough RADEON ALL DA WAY cough

hehe
March 7, 2002 1:51:36 PM

I own a Ti 500, and I would say at todays prices the 8500 is probably the biggest bang for your buck. If money is no object get a Ti500 or a GF4, otherwise the 8500 is the ticket.
March 7, 2002 2:53:24 PM

well I have a geforce 3 ti 200 and just got a radeon 8500 (3.3ns ram)so I have been able to compare them head to head on the same machine .. I also play serious sam and medal of honor at the highest settings... both handle the load nicely (p-4 2ghz NW w\pc2700 ram dosn't hurt) At stock clocks the Radeon is smoother and far better image quality in both games .. it also outscores the geforce in 3d mark2001 by a significant amount (1500 points) at $139-200 USD it is the better bargain at this particular point in time

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Alcohol, the source of and the solution to all of lifes problems</font color=blue>
March 7, 2002 5:04:13 PM

Quote:
You should ALWAYS OC EVERYTHING you can

Not everyone wants to, or needs to OC everything.

Otherwise, you get
"Let's overclock my SB Live!"
"I have a 76.6K Modem because I overclocked it"

and other rediculous claims.

Personaly, I like the fact that I have never OCed anything after my P2 300 that wasn't past it's warentee. (I OCed my old P 120 to 133, but that didn't even throw anything out of spec. It was the only time where my MHZ gain translated into actual performance gain (Was about a 10% system speed increase in EVERY aspect)

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.
!