Can delete files but not folders

I can delete files but if I try to delete a folder, even an empty one,
explorer crashes and has to be ended. There is no error message and the
folder is still there afterwards.
I can't think of anything that has changed recently, but it was working a
few days ago.

Any help greatly appreciated!

PS
There is also another, probably unreleated problem in that if I try to
right-click on the start menu or anything pinned to it, it freezes and I have
to restart the system.

See these.

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes