Slow Startup for XP Professional after doing Windows Update

I have a asmall problem with booting u my system.

Wat happens is the system freezes for about a minute...I cannot access the
Internet or perform certain tasks such as logging off etc.... until that time
elapses.

I just re-installed my O/S and had this problem before and remember it being
Microsoft hotfix I had to remove or install to fix this issue.

Can anyone assist with solving this one?

Thanks

Ken