Sign in with
Your question

Pentium 4 1.7 and Pentium M 1.7 differences ?

Last response: in Mobile Computing
June 4, 2004 9:10:58 PM

Hi

I have a tecra 9100 - 1.7, 512mb ram, bought about 2 years ago. I have been looking for a replacement like a Toshiba M2 or a Sony 505. Which is also 1.7 but now a centrium M rather than a Pentium 4 as my tecra was back then. Intel really love to confuse us all! ;-) However the clock speeds don;t seemed to have moved. Am i going to see a big speed difference between what I have now or getting a new pentium. Has anyone got any information on what sysmark etc I would get on my current laptop, my desktop (p4 3.2 etc - eg top of the range custom built) and getting my new laptop ? Trying to work out if spending $3000 is worth it or not.

Paul
June 5, 2004 1:04:20 PM

Ok, firstly, there are faster Pentium-Ms out at the moment, based on the Dothan core (i.e. up to 2GHz).

Secondly, this has been quite widely discussed, so I will summarize. The 1.7GHz Pentium-M would perform about as well as a 2.8GHz Pentium 4. But if you get the 2GHz Dothan, it will perform above a 3GHz, and close on the 3.2GHz P4. If you want benchmarks etc in comparing a 1.6GHz P-M to a 2.8GHz P4 (400MHz), refer to this <A HREF="http://rcsraven.0catch.com/P4PMBench.xls" target="_new">spreadsheet</A>

The other notable difference, is that a P-M 1.7GHz will give you a lot more battery life than a P4-m 1.7GHz (I know from experience), while still giving you twice the processing power.

If I may say, for $3000 you can get a hell of a notebook:
Inspiron 8600:
Intel P-M 755 (2GHz)
15.4" WSXGA+ LCD Panel
1GB RAM
128MB Mobility Radeon 9600 TURBO
8x DVD Burner
60GB, 7200rpm HDD
etc.

$2700

Regards,

Paul (RaPTuRe)

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?
June 6, 2004 12:11:48 AM

Hi

Thanks for the great reply! ... so in essence a Centrum Pentium 4-M 1.8ghz as in the Toshiba Tecra M2 will be a LOT faster than my current P4-Toshiba Tecra 9100 a 1.7ghz CPU.

I have looked at the Dell however what I am looking for is the most powerful machine for the smallest weight!. My current Tecra 9100 laptop is 4.39lb and I don;t want to go above that. Ideally I really want the new Sony X505! ;-) But it will be a long time before something that size will have some real power. I use a laptop for normal email etc - but also for developing using Visual Studio.NET, running sqlserver, IIS 6.0 - so need something that can handle that + DVD/CDR for watching on a plane + backup up. Wireless is also critical. I don’t mind if the battery does not last - plan on getting a 12cell upgrade for the M2 (for longer trips away from power) + the faster 7200rpm harddisk which I know eats bats! ;-(

So my conclusion at the moment is the Toshiba M2 as the best of that breed with weight, power, features etc ...

Money was never really an issue – more the fact of finding what I want! Give it another few years and the weight / power will be perfect! ;-)

What’s your thoughts ?
Related resources
June 6, 2004 2:53:25 PM

hehe, give it another couple of years, and the weight/power might be perfect - but then there will be something better that you want :p  - Being human, we can never be satisfied.

With the 7200rpm HDD, it actually doesn't use a noticable amount more power than the 5400 and 4200rpm drives -And, as I've said many times before, only settle for a 7200rpm drive - it is worth every cent.

Well, I've just had a look at a couple of notebooks, and the Tecra M2 is very nice, but check out other designs and manufacturers - like the Dell Latitude D600 or D400 - and similar models from Compaq/HP, Sony etc.

Post back with specifications - and we'll give you pros & cons.

Regards,
RaPTuRe

June 7, 2004 5:48:48 AM

"Centrum Pentium 4-M 1.8ghz"
Argh! I just have to correct this. First of all, I think you mean "Centrino" and not "Centrum" - which is a package, and not a cpu. This package does NOT include any P4 cpu, it includes the pentium-m cpu (with the banias or dothan core), the intel 855 chipset, and an intel wireless nic. So what you should look for, is a computer with a pentium-m cpu - preferably the dothan kind, because these give you more processing power, while consuming slightly less energy. The pentium-m will perform (on average), like a P4 that is clocked 1.5 times higher (Dothans a bit higher than that). So a 1.7 GHz banias ~ 2.55 GHz P4.

Now to answer your post.. I would NOT spend that kind of money on a Dell notebook. I've been browsing notebook forums since last September, and take it from me, Dell has not got the best of reputations - but they are often the best way to go, when the buyer's funds are limited, because they do give you a good set of hardware for the price.

With the kind of budget you got, look closely at the IBM ThinkPad T42P. IBM makes the best notebooks in the business (in a recent anandtech poll, IBM won with 52 votes, Apple coming in as a distant second with 10 votes or so!), and the T42P is their top model - it starts at 4.9 lbs with the 14.1" screen, is about one inch thick, and you won't have to compromise with performance, because it comes loaded with top hardware - for instance the 7200rpm hitachi hard drive, the ati firegl t2 video card, which is great for demanding 3d/graphics applications, gigabit lan, an ultraslim dvd-burner, the best keyboard you'll ever see in a notebook, and more. Just check out the reviews on the T-series, and you'll soon be persuaded :) 
June 7, 2004 11:54:17 AM

Quote:
So a 1.7 GHz banias ~ 2.55 GHz P4

No way. Sorry, it does a bit better than that. A 1.6GHz can compare favourable with a 2.66GHz P4.

I agree about the IBM, Slim, sturdy, light-weight, the best in the business. That being said, Toshiba's build quality is extremely good too.

RaPTuRe

June 7, 2004 8:50:35 PM

From where did you derive that number? It's true that it might perform like that in a few applications, but certainly not on average.
Anandtech once did an extensive test on the centrino "technology" - I took out my calculator, and calculated the average speed average of the pentium-m in all of the tests, in terms of the number of times the p-m was faster than a similarly clocked P4. In the end, I added all my results together, and divided by the total number of results, and it came out to 1.46 - so to figure out the P4 equivalent of a P-M, you just multiply by 1.46, and not with 1.66 as you are suggesting.
I wanted to make sure I had my facts straight, before I posted it here, so I did the same thing again. This time with a pentium-m review by tech-report:
<A HREF="http://tech-report.com/reviews/2003q3/pentiumm-1.4ghz/i..." target="_new">Tech-Report: Intels Pentium-M 1.4 - More cache, less power</A>

I skipped the benchmarks in which the P4 held an advantage due to it's slightly better video card solution (32mb extra vram and newer drivers). A total of 16 different benchmark results went into the calculation, and it came out to 1.47055, or roughly: 1.5.
June 7, 2004 11:29:39 PM

Real world testing. I've compared my 1.6GHz Latitude (which performs a little worse, on average than most 1.6GHz Pentium-M's), against a Compaq Nx9010 (2.8GHz P4 (400MHz FSB)), as well as against a 2.8GHz Eurocom (533MHz FSB). In the spread sheet, I only included CPU tests (and in some cases memory tests).

I'm not saying Anand is wrong, but I've done pretty extensive benchmarks comparing even up against a 3.2GHz P4 notebook. Unfortunately I have yet to get my hands on a 1.7GHz Banias or any of the Dothan cores.

Performance can't always be measured in ratios, I mean even the difference between the performance of a 1.6GHz I8600 and that of a 1.6GHz D800 is quite measurable. Having used a multitude of different notebooks, I can tell you that a 1.6 P-M compares very favourable to a 2.66 P4. Well I'm convinced at any rate. Check my results for yourself...

RaPTuRe

!