Sign in with
Your question

How to reset my administrator password on my macbook pro

Last response: in Mac Os X
August 4, 2011 2:19:01 AM

i bought this mac book pro from a friend who i no longer talk to,and i am logged in but cannot update anything without the password. what can i do????
August 4, 2011 2:58:42 AM

marshall78 said:
i bought this mac book pro from a friend who i no longer talk to,and i am logged in but cannot update anything without the password. what can i do????
i I would call Apple in Cupertino and discuss this with them.
m
l
August 4, 2011 3:29:45 AM

marshall78 said:

You have two options:

Option 1:
backup to an external HDD anything you want to keep and then do a complete re-install using your installation DVD

or

Option 2:
1. Start up from a Mac OS X Install CD (one whose version is closest the the version of Mac OS X installed). You should first disable Open Firmware password protection, if it is enabled. Hold the C key as the computer starts.
2. Choose Reset Password from the Installer menu (or Utilities menu in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger). Tip: If you don't see this menu or menu choice, you're probably not started from the CD yet.
3. Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.
4. Set the user name of your original administrator account.

Important: Do not select "System Administrator (root)". This is actually a reference to the root user. Do not confuse it with a normal administrator account.

5. Enter a new password.
6. Click Save.

Best of luck

p.s. if you don't have the installation DVD, you will need to download and burn one.

:-)
m
l
Related resources
August 4, 2011 8:42:22 AM

The advice about resetting the password is good, and is the recommended Apple procedure.

I'm not so sure about the advice to download and burn an installation DVD. Unless the OP is a registered Mac developer, where can he legally download a copy of an OS X install DVD?
m
l
August 4, 2011 9:24:41 AM

Press the "reset administrator password" button on the back of the mac
m
l
August 4, 2011 8:11:15 PM

Ijack said:
The advice about resetting the password is good, and is the recommended Apple procedure.

I'm not so sure about the advice to download and burn an installation DVD. Unless the OP is a registered Mac developer, where can he legally download a copy of an OS X install DVD?

My bad, I thought with being able to purchase and download Lion via the app store (As I did), that you would be able to download an OS X leopard image from iTunes, but investigating further, it turns out you have to purchase the DVD and wait for it to be shipped to you.

or, if you have purchased OS X lion, there are instructions on this forum to make that "app" a bootable installation DVD - Burn os x lion to dvdhttp://www.tomshardware.com/forum/791-69-burn-lion

:-)
m
l
August 30, 2011 6:27:10 AM

You can do this pretty easily if you can boot into single user mode.
Command + S on boot

Once in single user mode :
/sbin/mount -uw /
*RETURN*
rm /var/db/.applesetupdone
*RETURN*
reboot
*RETURN*

Now this will take you into the intro movie screen like the first day you booted your computer. Don't freak out, all you have done is removed the little tag that told your computer you finished setup you have not deleted anything important. So you will go through the entire process as if you're computer were new and set up a New Admin account. With a new admin account you basically can change anything you want :) .. hope this helps. Also this is a good reason to block shortcut keys on boot if you have a lot of people around your computer unattended.

Hope this helps.

CAUTION- BE careful in terminal. It is not a place to fool around if you do not know what you are doing.
m
l
August 3, 2012 5:57:39 AM

marshall78 said:

Hi. I don't know how long ago you posted your message, but did you get your password reset with the advise provided from other users on here?

I'm in the same position you are, as I forgot the password, and anytime I want to install an application, it asks me for my password, which I do not have, and I can't seem to reset it.

Please let me know if you figured out how to do it.

Thanks
m
l
October 10, 2012 5:18:35 AM

From Mubasher Ali
This method dosent require any burning or cd stuff....

Reset password using Lion Recovery

If you bought a brand new Mac with Lion pre-installed, the hard drive includes with a recovery partition that gives you access to a bunch of different tools. Here’s how to take advantage of this utility to reset your Mac’s password:

Shut down your Mac and turn it back on while holding down the Command and R keys at the same time until you see the Lion Recovery screen.
From the menu bar at the top, select Utilities > Terminal.
In the Terminal window type resetpassword and press Enter.
Use the Reset Password utility to select your hard drive, choose your user account, and enter a new password.

Reset Lion password with Single User mode

Anyone running Mac OS X Lion can take advantage of this method:

Shut down your Mac and turn it back on while holding down the Command and S keys at the same time until your see a black screen with white text. This is known as Single User mode.
You can skip this step, but it’s recommended that you don’t because it will check the consistency of your hard drive. At the prompt, type fsck -fy and press Enter.
Once the disk check is complete and the prompt returns, type mount -uw / and press Enter.
Type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist and press Enter.
Type ls /Users and press Enter. All of the usernames on the computer will be listed, which is helpful if you don’t know or remember what these are.
Type dscl . passwd /Users/username password while replacing username with one of the users displayed in the previous step and replacing password with the new password of your choice. Press Enter. You will likely get an error message about a file or directory not being found – it’s safe to ignore this.
Type reboot and press Enter.
m
l
October 10, 2012 6:17:39 AM

As the laptop was bought second-hand before Mountain Lion existed, I doubt that method is much help to the OP.
m
l
!