Word documents very slow to open

September 7, 2005 6:24:06 PM

When I attempt to open a microsoft word doc (or excel) from windows explorer
it takes apx. 30 seconds to open ..but if I open the program first , then
click on the open icon it comes up instantly.Also movie files from cd take
apx 30 seconds to a minute to open even if I have media player already
open.This never happened on my old computer ..This new computer is a Gateway
purchased in May 2005..I already tried removing unused programs and
defragmenting..any help would be greatly appreciated
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 1:28:50 AM

In article <43CAB4C9-FD8E-4984-B360-B91CF87BD50E@microsoft.com>,
diz71266@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> When I attempt to open a microsoft word doc (or excel) from windows explorer
> it takes apx. 30 seconds to open ..but if I open the program first , then
> click on the open icon it comes up instantly.Also movie files from cd take
> apx 30 seconds to a minute to open even if I have media player already
> open.This never happened on my old computer ..This new computer is a Gateway
> purchased in May 2005..I already tried removing unused programs and
> defragmenting..any help would be greatly appreciated

Press CRTL-ALT-DEL and look at the Task Manager, Select the
"Performance" tab, now, look at the "Physical Memory (K)" TOTAL and then
at the "PF USAGE" Box - if they two are close or you are using more
memory than you have Physical Memory, then you are just out of Memory to
allow for smooth operation.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me