Word documents very slow to open

When I attempt to open a microsoft word doc (or excel) from windows explorer
it takes apx. 30 seconds to open ..but if I open the program first , then
click on the open icon it comes up instantly.Also movie files from cd take
apx 30 seconds to a minute to open even if I have media player already
open.This never happened on my old computer ..This new computer is a Gateway
purchased in May 2005..I already tried removing unused programs and
defragmenting..any help would be greatly appreciated
1 answer Last reply
More about word documents slow open

    In article <43CAB4C9-FD8E-4984-B360-B91CF87BD50E@microsoft.com>,
    diz71266@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > When I attempt to open a microsoft word doc (or excel) from windows explorer
    > it takes apx. 30 seconds to open ..but if I open the program first , then
    > click on the open icon it comes up instantly.Also movie files from cd take
    > apx 30 seconds to a minute to open even if I have media player already
    > open.This never happened on my old computer ..This new computer is a Gateway
    > purchased in May 2005..I already tried removing unused programs and
    > defragmenting..any help would be greatly appreciated

    Press CRTL-ALT-DEL and look at the Task Manager, Select the
    "Performance" tab, now, look at the "Physical Memory (K)" TOTAL and then
    at the "PF USAGE" Box - if they two are close or you are using more
    memory than you have Physical Memory, then you are just out of Memory to
    allow for smooth operation.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me