Backing up Windows XP

I have 2 Colorado 5GB tape drives. I used to be able to create an entire
image of my hard drive on them in Windows 98. I could then erase the hard
drive, reformat it, and install from a boot floppy.

Is anything like that possible with Windows XP and a 3rd party backup
program?
Are my tape drives obsolete?
Should I adopt a new strategy of backing up only my data and then reloading
each program individually in case of a catastrophe?
I would like to throw the tape drives away if they are really of no use.
There does not seem to be a Windows XP driver for them anyway.
Thank you,
Edward Warren
4 answers Last reply
More about backing windows

    "Dr. Edward Warren" <e-warren@att.net> wrote in message
    >I have 2 Colorado 5GB tape drives. I used to be able to create an entire
    > image of my hard drive on them in Windows 98. I could then erase the hard
    > drive, reformat it, and install from a boot floppy.
    >
    > Is anything like that possible with Windows XP and a 3rd party backup
    > program?
    > Are my tape drives obsolete?
    > Should I adopt a new strategy of backing up only my data and then
    > reloading
    > each program individually in case of a catastrophe?
    > I would like to throw the tape drives away if they are really of no use.
    > There does not seem to be a Windows XP driver for them anyway.
    > Thank you,
    > Edward Warren

    You would need DOS level drivers for your Colorado drives, and even then
    there is no
    guarantee that you would be successful.

    With the cost of DVD writers dirt cheap, it would be better to put a DVD
    burner in your system
    (I just purchased a Sony DRU-800a DUAL LAYER DVD burner for $49.99 after
    rebates).
    You could then use Ghost to make a bootable DVD copy of the drive....

    Bobby

    "" wrote:
    > I have 2 Colorado 5GB tape drives. I used to be able to
    > create an entire
    > image of my hard drive on them in Windows 98. I could then
    > erase the hard
    > drive, reformat it, and install from a boot floppy.
    >
    > Is anything like that possible with Windows XP and a 3rd party
    > backup
    > program?
    > Are my tape drives obsolete?
    > Should I adopt a new strategy of backing up only my data and
    > then reloading
    > each program individually in case of a catastrophe?
    > I would like to throw the tape drives away if they are really
    > of no use.
    > There does not seem to be a Windows XP driver for them anyway.
    > Thank you,
    > Edward Warren

    "I have 2 Colorado 5GB tape drives. I used to be able to create an
    entire image of my hard drive on them in Windows 98. I could then
    erase the hard drive, reformat it, and install from a boot floppy."
    Dosnt creating a hard drive image, then formating the hard drive, then
    putting the image back on defeate the point of formating? What you are
    effecticly doing is (analagy) geting a document, photo copying it,
    then burning the one you copied in the first place.

    "Is anything like that possible with Windows XP and a 3rd party backup
    program?"
    Probably, but it seems pointless to me.

    "Are my tape drives obsolete?"
    If they work no. (thats my opinion at least)

    "Should I adopt a new strategy of backing up only my data and then
    reloading each program individually in case of a catastrophe?"
    Yes, you should back up only data (not programs or hard drive images)
    you need, but make sure you know that you have backed up all data
    befor formating, a good place to start would be your profile folder
    (located some where like C:Documents and Settings)

    "I would like to throw the tape drives away if they are really of no
    use."
    As I have alredy said if they work then why upgrade. They are capable
    of storing 5GB each, not nessaserly the biggiest, but if they are
    bigginof to store all the data you need to store, then whats the
    problem?

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Backing-Windows-XP-ftopict418598.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1397427

    If there is no driver for winxp they are probably of no use.
    To backup the entire sys use something like True Image or Ghost, otherwise
    any backup app for data only

    "Dr. Edward Warren" <e-warren@att.net> wrote in message
    > I have 2 Colorado 5GB tape drives. I used to be able to create an entire
    > image of my hard drive on them in Windows 98. I could then erase the hard
    > drive, reformat it, and install from a boot floppy.
    >
    > Is anything like that possible with Windows XP and a 3rd party backup
    > program?
    > Are my tape drives obsolete?
    > Should I adopt a new strategy of backing up only my data and then
    reloading
    > each program individually in case of a catastrophe?
    > I would like to throw the tape drives away if they are really of no use.
    > There does not seem to be a Windows XP driver for them anyway.
    > Thank you,
    > Edward Warren

    The point of the exercise I described is that if I can do it, then I can
    restore fully to a new hard drive in case of hard drive failure.
    Thank you for the advice.
    Edward Warren

Tape Drives Windows XP