Best Graphics Card?

G

I have a Compaq 5834, Intel Celron Processor 500Mhz, system memory 64Mb, Integrated 2x AGP 3D Graphics, and a 64 bit hardware accelerated graphics. Im going to upgrade my cdram memory to 2x128mb of memory. I was told the only other thing I can upgrade is my graphics card. Im thinking of getting the ATI Radeon 8500. Is this card to much for my system? If so what is a good card for me to get. I will mainly be playing shooter games online ie. Ghost recon, Delta force, etc.

prepsmdker

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
yikes, with 500 mhz, your card has a serious bottleneck, perhaps you should look more towards a Geforce 2 card for a lot less money.
The extra performance on our machine between a Geforce 2 and a Radeon 8500/Geforce 3, will be so small, that you wouldn't notice it.

I'd suggest saving up your cash and buy a new PC than update it with components that will basically keep it alive for maybe another 6 months. I've seen demos already with your pc specs as the minimum requirements, which means, your PC is on its last limbs.

So look online for a Geforce 2, if you still want to upgrade. Anything of a higher generation will be choked by your CPU.

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
ye,,, your CPU will probably let down your system /gaming performance. plus if u have a agp 2x slot i dont' see the point of buying a top of the line 8500. settle for a cheaper high performance geforce2 Ti or pro will boost your systme performace considerably. if u have AGP 4x on your mobo u could upgrade your CPU to a pentium 3 class and your graphics card to a geforce 3 or somthing. either way it's up to u

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Odds are you only have PCI capability so the 8500 won't be an option for you.

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."