Screen problem !

G

Hello ! I wonder if a graphic card or anything else in the computer can damage a monitor ?
I have a Fujitsu-Siemens C776 and a Ge force 2 The monitor is 1 year and 6 month old. It has worked fine until last week when suddenly the picture becomes high and narrow like i should have turn resolution to 864x1152 instead of 1152x864. i wasn't able to adjust it with the monitor controls.
And when i open a window for example My Computer the screen jump and getting smaller and jump back when i close it.
I leave it to repair and when i got it back it was little better but almost same so i leave it back so they must check it again.
I have tried the monitor on another computer and it was the same problem..
When i plug in an old 14" NEC i get no picture att all.
It was only a flickering screen in the middle.
Maybe that's because it can't handle 1152x864 and 75 Hz which is my configuration.
My question is if it is possible that my computer damage the monitor when i plug it in ?
Or maybe it was a bad repair job.

Thank you very much for help !

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
It was possible to damage a monitor by "feeding" it excessive frequency - and it could wear out. Modern monitors are suposed to resist to that kind of damage (at least mine - a Flatron, is).
You should try to lower the refresh rate with the C776 and the 14" to see what happens.

How terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the wise