Need suggestions for cheapie notebook

I currently have a Dell Dim 2400 system in my basement. It works great and
satisfies my needs (internet surfing via broadband, wp, spreadsheet, etc. --
I also play online poker).

I would like to get a notebook computer to have upstairs. I want it wireless
so that I can get a router and basically have it use my basement connection.

I would also like to take it along on an occasional vacation, but mostly it
will be in the house just for convenience so that I have computer access
upstairs. I would like to do it as cheaply as possible. I would hope to use
XP HOME, too.

Any suggestions?

Mel
11 answers Last reply
More about need suggestions cheapie notebook

    Dell and others (HP, Toshiba, Compaq) regularly have
    notebooks in the $500 (after rebate usually) range with built in
    wireless
    that should meet your needs. Just look at sites
    like techbargains.com and dealcatcher.com to keep up with the latest
    sales.
    Dave

    David:

    Any specific models??

    I'm thinking of looking at EBAY, too.

    Mel

    "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > David:
    >
    > Any specific models??
    >
    > I'm thinking of looking at EBAY, too.
    >
    > Mel

    Don't expect much of any warranty, workmanship, or outstanding performance
    at this price:

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_1200?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

    Stew

    In article <a61ze.46640$Tt.26551@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
    S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >Don't expect much of any warranty, workmanship, or outstanding performance
    >at this price:
    >
    >http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_1200?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

    Something else to consider is that there are a bunch of refurbished
    Thinkpad T21's selling in the $500-600 range. I've been seeing these
    floating around for close to a year. Here's one for $474:

    http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1168469

    There are a lot of compromises (800MHz P3, Windows 2000), but these
    are high quality machines. They even come with the same 90 day warranty
    as the Dell 1200 mentioned above.

    -Mike
    --
    http://www.mschaef.com

    "MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message
    > In article <a61ze.46640$Tt.26551@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
    > S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >>Don't expect much of any warranty, workmanship, or outstanding performance
    >>at this price:
    >>
    >>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_1200?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
    >
    > Something else to consider is that there are a bunch of refurbished
    > Thinkpad T21's selling in the $500-600 range. I've been seeing these
    > floating around for close to a year. Here's one for $474:
    >
    > http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1168469
    >
    > There are a lot of compromises (800MHz P3, Windows 2000), but these
    > are high quality machines. They even come with the same 90 day warranty
    > as the Dell 1200 mentioned above.
    >
    > -Mike
    > --
    > http://www.mschaef.com

    That's a good point.

    And, too, there are off-lease Dell Latitudes (C-series) PIII, PentiumM
    models with factory warranty remaining being sold by Dell Financial Services
    on ebay everyday.

    I've bought (6) of them for other people, and each system had gold tech
    support and next day warranty that could be extended......

    Again, in the $400+ range.

    Stew

    "MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message
    > In article <a61ze.46640$Tt.26551@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
    > S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >>Don't expect much of any warranty, workmanship, or outstanding performance
    >>at this price:
    >>
    >>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_1200?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
    >
    > Something else to consider is that there are a bunch of refurbished
    > Thinkpad T21's selling in the $500-600 range. I've been seeing these
    > floating around for close to a year. Here's one for $474:
    >
    > http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1168469
    >
    > There are a lot of compromises (800MHz P3, Windows 2000), but these
    > are high quality machines. They even come with the same 90 day warranty
    > as the Dell 1200 mentioned above.
    >
    > -Mike
    > --
    > http://www.mschaef.com

    Except that a full year warranty for the Dell Inspiron 1200 is only $19.

    > "MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <a61ze.46640$Tt.26551@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
    >> S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >>>Don't expect much of any warranty, workmanship, or outstanding
    >>>performance
    >>>at this price:
    >>>
    >>>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_1200?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
    >>
    >> Something else to consider is that there are a bunch of refurbished
    >> Thinkpad T21's selling in the $500-600 range. I've been seeing these
    >> floating around for close to a year. Here's one for $474:
    >>
    >> http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1168469
    >>
    >> There are a lot of compromises (800MHz P3, Windows 2000), but these
    >> are high quality machines. They even come with the same 90 day warranty
    >> as the Dell 1200 mentioned above.
    >>
    >> -Mike
    >> --
    >> http://www.mschaef.com
    >
    > Except that a full year warranty for the Dell Inspiron 1200 is only $19.

    Tom,

    Yeah, but is that 1 year mail-in?

    Stew

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
    >>>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_1200?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

    >Except that a full year warranty for the Dell Inspiron 1200 is only $19.

    How do you figure that? I'm seeing $39 plus the mail-in rebate you
    would have gotten...

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

    >> "MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message

    >>> Something else to consider is that there are a bunch of refurbished
    >>> Thinkpad T21's selling in the $500-600 range. I've been seeing these
    >>> floating around for close to a year. Here's one for $474:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=1168469
    >>>
    >>> There are a lot of compromises (800MHz P3, Windows 2000), but these
    >>> are high quality machines. They even come with the same 90 day warranty
    >>> as the Dell 1200 mentioned above.
    >>>
    >>> -Mike
    >>> --
    >>> http://www.mschaef.com
    >>
    >> Except that a full year warranty for the Dell Inspiron 1200 is only $19.
    >>

    > Tom,
    >
    > Yeah, but is that 1 year mail-in?
    >

    > Stew

    Mail in. At home is $59.

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "MSCHAEF.COM" <mschaef@eris.io.com> wrote in message

    >>> Except that a full year warranty for the Dell Inspiron 1200 is only $19.
    >>>

    >> Tom,
    >>
    >> Yeah, but is that 1 year mail-in?
    >>

    >> Stew
    >>

    > Mail in. At home is $59.

    Yep. That's why the Latitudes I chose had remaining gold/next day/complete
    care coverage.

    If not purchased in a promo, a decent warranty can represent a nice chuck of
    cost.

    Stew

    <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message

    >>Except that a full year warranty for the Dell Inspiron 1200 is only $19.
    >
    > How do you figure that? I'm seeing $39 plus the mail-in rebate you
    > would have gotten...

    I went to TV Advertised deal, then customize

Dell Notebooks Computers