Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

"usbscan.sys" is needed from a SP2 CD", but I never got a CD

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 7:44:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'm trying to install CardScan v.7.0.3. I get a message saying that "The
file “usbscan.sys” on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD is needed.
Type the path where is located, and click OK."

My problem is that I downloaded SP2 off of the updates page. Is it possible
to get a SP2 CD, and if so how?

More about : usbscan sys needed sp2

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 11:28:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

try the following locations:
C:\windows\system32\drivers
C:\windows\system32\dllcache
C:\windows\servicepackfiles/i386

peterk

--
Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
"WShackelford" <WShackelford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:216244CD-9AD1-44DC-8835-E608BFCAF83B@microsoft.com...
> I'm trying to install CardScan v.7.0.3. I get a message saying that "The
> file "usbscan.sys" on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD is needed.
> Type the path where is located, and click OK."
>
> My problem is that I downloaded SP2 off of the updates page. Is it
> possible
> to get a SP2 CD, and if so how?
>
>
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 11:49:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Many thanks, but I checked them -- even a full My Computer search turned up
nothing.

Oddly, my i386 folder is completely empty.

This may be my fault: once I downloaded SP2, I waited a month or two to make
sure everything worked. It did.

I have only a 40G harddrive and followed the recomendations of a neowin
article that said you could safely remove anything added by SP2 if you
followed its steps, which I did.

Maybe this .sys file got nuked through that, but I don't recall touching
anything asociated with the third rail of the i386 files.

I'm hoping somebody can tell me where to find an SP2 CD -- MS wants you to
download it, yet Corex wants the CD.




"peterk" wrote:

> try the following locations:
> C:\windows\system32\drivers
> C:\windows\system32\dllcache
> C:\windows\servicepackfiles/i386
>
> peterk
>
> --
> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> "WShackelford" <WShackelford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:216244CD-9AD1-44DC-8835-E608BFCAF83B@microsoft.com...
> > I'm trying to install CardScan v.7.0.3. I get a message saying that "The
> > file "usbscan.sys" on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD is needed.
> > Type the path where is located, and click OK."
> >
> > My problem is that I downloaded SP2 off of the updates page. Is it
> > possible
> > to get a SP2 CD, and if so how?
> >
> >
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 2:28:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"WShackelford" <WShackelford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:216244CD-9AD1-44DC-8835-E608BFCAF83B@microsoft.com...
> I'm trying to install CardScan v.7.0.3. I get a message saying that "The
> file "usbscan.sys" on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD is needed.
> Type the path where is located, and click OK."
>
> My problem is that I downloaded SP2 off of the updates page. Is it
> possible
> to get a SP2 CD, and if so how?
>
>


Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-boot...

Slipstreaming the Latest Service Pack
http://unattended.msfn.org/beginner/slipstream.htm

--
William
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:32:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"WShackelford" <WShackelford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:626CE450-88CD-41FB-829E-DEBE7E2C44C5@microsoft.com...
> Many thanks, but I checked them -- even a full My Computer search turned
up
> nothing.
>

Did you try using the CD you have already, despite the fact that it doesn't
have SP2 on it? I'm betting it might just work...

Either that, or ask someone to email you the file that has SP2 installed on
their system... Make sure that you give it a thorough virus scan before you
try to use it however...
!