"usbscan.sys" is needed from a SP2 CD", but I never got a CD

I'm trying to install CardScan v.7.0.3. I get a message saying that "The
file “usbscan.sys” on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD is needed.
Type the path where is located, and click OK."

My problem is that I downloaded SP2 off of the updates page. Is it possible
to get a SP2 CD, and if so how?
4 answers Last reply
More about usbscan needed

    try the following locations:
    C:\windows\system32\drivers
    C:\windows\system32\dllcache
    C:\windows\servicepackfiles/i386

    peterk

    "WShackelford" <WShackelford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to install CardScan v.7.0.3. I get a message saying that "The
    > file "usbscan.sys" on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD is needed.
    > Type the path where is located, and click OK."
    >
    > My problem is that I downloaded SP2 off of the updates page. Is it
    > possible
    > to get a SP2 CD, and if so how?

    Many thanks, but I checked them -- even a full My Computer search turned up
    nothing.

    Oddly, my i386 folder is completely empty.

    This may be my fault: once I downloaded SP2, I waited a month or two to make
    sure everything worked. It did.

    I have only a 40G harddrive and followed the recomendations of a neowin
    article that said you could safely remove anything added by SP2 if you
    followed its steps, which I did.

    Maybe this .sys file got nuked through that, but I don't recall touching
    anything asociated with the third rail of the i386 files.

    I'm hoping somebody can tell me where to find an SP2 CD -- MS wants you to
    download it, yet Corex wants the CD.

    "peterk" wrote:

    > try the following locations:
    > C:\windows\system32\drivers
    > C:\windows\system32\dllcache
    > C:\windows\servicepackfiles/i386
    >
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
    > "WShackelford" <WShackelford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to install CardScan v.7.0.3. I get a message saying that "The
    > > file "usbscan.sys" on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD is needed.
    > > Type the path where is located, and click OK."
    > >
    > > My problem is that I downloaded SP2 off of the updates page. Is it
    > > possible
    > > to get a SP2 CD, and if so how?

    "WShackelford" <WShackelford@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to install CardScan v.7.0.3. I get a message saying that "The
    > file "usbscan.sys" on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD is needed.
    > Type the path where is located, and click OK."
    >
    > My problem is that I downloaded SP2 off of the updates page. Is it
    > possible
    > to get a SP2 CD, and if so how?

    Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

    Slipstreaming the Latest Service Pack
    http://unattended.msfn.org/beginner/slipstream.htm

    --
    William

    > Many thanks, but I checked them -- even a full My Computer search turned
    up
    > nothing.

    Did you try using the CD you have already, despite the fact that it doesn't
    have SP2 on it? I'm betting it might just work...

    Either that, or ask someone to email you the file that has SP2 installed on
    their system... Make sure that you give it a thorough virus scan before you
    try to use it however...

CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP