Cards for 2D Design Pro's?

bigbelg

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
Hey,
i don't play games and it seems that the only graphic cards are 3D accelarators. So I don't need all those MegaPixel Transfer Rates and T&L. No, I need a card with stable 2D performance and dual-monitor support. I've been looking around only found several:
Matrox Milenium G450 (the 550 sux)
ATI Radeon VE
Cardex/Gainward Geforce2 MX Twinview Vivo
ASUS V7100 (Geforce2 MX)

My question is, which one should I choose or are there other cards for a good price (not the Quadro :()

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
Matrox Millenium G450 or G550 are both great 2d cards with dual support.

ATI Radeon VE has good dual support, but not as good Matrox's

Don't bother with the Geforce 2 mx's, their dual monitor support blows......

I haven't been able to test the new Geforce 4's dual monitor, only benching the ti4600....:)

Geforce 4 is supposed to have better support, but will have to wait and see....

MeldarthX

bikeman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
I'd definitely go for the Matrox, if 3d-performace really doesn't matter. Matrox is known for its superior RAMDAC quality. No video card will show a more sharp picture on your (probably expensive, high-quality) monitor(s). And as stated above, both ATI and nVidia have inferior twinview capabilities. Although the new nVidia professional line has got some new products that are in direct competition with Matrox's products. Read <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1585" target="_new">this article at AnandTech</A> about the new Quadro's. There is a lot told about the 3d-cards, but somewhere in the end they talk about the pure 2d-products, too.

Greetz,
Bikeman

Then again, that's just my opinion.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes I would go with the Matrox card for sure, but not until I checked out the new cards that nvidia is going to release.
Supposedly each card will support 4 monitors, and depending on your computer you could put in enough cards for a max of 32 monitors!

"Why can't I be the man? I mean, I DO have harmony balls..." -epoth