External Antennas

Pat <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote:
> What is the normal connector used on external Wi-Fi connectors. Is it a male
> SMA?

There is no standard connector. Initially, the connectors were supposed to
be proprietary, so that only a matched set could be connected, and that set
would have been FCC certified.

Some of the connectors used can be found here
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/frameset_radio_pigtails.htm

--
---

pat

Expert

<dold@ExternalXA.usenet.us.com> wrote in message

> There is no standard connector. Initially, the connectors were supposed
> be proprietary, so that only a matched set could be connected, and that
set
> would have been FCC certified.
>
> Some of the connectors used can be found here
> http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/frameset_radio_pigtails.htm

The Netgear WGT624 comes with a fixed antenna. I'm going to replace it with
a pigtail that has a U.FL connection to the wireless card inside the case,
and a bulkhead connector to the rear of the WGT624 case. Then I'll reattach
the case and get an antenna to attatch.

When done, I'll have a connector of some type, where the stock antenna once
existed. It'll ne a antenna-less router. I'd like to go minimal and first
try a rubber duck type antenna for 2.4Ghz that is the better than the
original.

What type of connector is used on routers from Netgear, and D-Link, that
ship with a removeable antenna, and allow for an external replacement? Maybe
that's the way to attack this problem.

Pat <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote:
> What type of connector is used on routers from Netgear, and D-Link, that
> ship with a removeable antenna, and allow for an external replacement? Maybe
> that's the way to attack this problem.

Aha! You are going to put in whatever consensus says is the most popular
connector. I would say RP-SMA... but that's a guess.
You could go with whatever the antenna is that you chose, but the antennas
at hyperlink tech seem to come with whatever connector you want.

You could review the "pigtails" listing and decide which is the most
popular.

Radio Shack sells some duckies. You could pick that one as a basis.

And of course, you should try a free reflector on the antenna you already
have.

http://www.freeantennas.com I like the EZ-10.
< http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/SMC/EZ10-strength.htm >

--