Fezza

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
I got a new comp and my Window 98 CD doesnt cut the mustard anymore as im guessing the hyperthreading wont allow it to load and I can only get it going in safe mode. I installed a burnt copy of XP Pro over the top, but I want to buy a real copy and not have to worry about iffy software.

I can either get XP home for 195 dollars or get an XP Pro upgrade for 166.

Just wondering of the pros/cons of getting a more exp XP home CD over the cheaper XP Pro upgrade CD. I will hopefully be using the XP Pro upgrade CD over the top of the burnt XP Pro one, if not ill have to disable hyperthreading and hopefully get 98 working before upgrading to XP Pro.

Any advice would be great... Cheers.

G

Or you could get a full OEM version of either one, for about half the price of the retail version.

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?DEPA=6&sumit=Go&description=37-102-143&searchdepa=6" target="_new">Pro Version</A>

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?DEPA=6&sumit=Go&description=37-102-141&searchdepa=6" target="_new">Home Version</A>

Lumathix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
One of the main things with going with a full install XP is you can go with NTFS. With an upgrade from 98, I dont think you can.

<font color=blue> "Speech is silver. Silence is Golden." - Anonymous German Proverb </font color=blue>

Lumathix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
I agree. Nothing wrong with OEM software.
Not really into buying OEM hardware though.

<font color=blue> "Speech is silver. Silence is Golden." - Anonymous German Proverb </font color=blue>

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
You can do a 'clean install' with an upgrade version of XP.
During the install it will ask to 'see' the cd from a previous version of Windows. If you decide on OEM most sites like newegg will say you need to purchase with hardware. 'Hardware' needs to be as little as a 10 cent case screw. OEM is fine if you don't care for boxes and manuals.

For it is not what is seen, but what is not seen. :eek:

Lumathix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
What I meant was, you don't get a warranty from the manufacturer with OEM hardware, only what you get from the dealer.

G

Yes, you can do a clean installation with an upgrade version. But, you still ahve to keep up with that win98 cd in case you have to reinstall. IMO, that's the only problem with upgrades. If nothing else, it just makes my life a little bit easier if I have the full version.

Big_C

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
yeah HT doens't work with win98

AMD RULEZ!
1.33ghz Thunderbird
266mhz FSB
512mb kingston DDR @ 266mhz
DFI AK76-SN
MSI Ti4200 64mb
SB Live
WD 80GB HDD, 7200 rpm 8mb cache