RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
So here's a question. I have a GeForce III Ti 200 and I was cleaning my closet and found an old Voodoo3 16 MB card. Archaic. Anyway, what would happen if I connected the GeForce to the Voodoo3? (Those of you familiar with the old PCI accelerators know what I mean). Will the awful performance of the PCI slow my graphics down? Or will the Voodoo3 take 16 MB worth of strain off the GeForce?

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
SLI on a 3DFX and a nVIDIA? I highly doubt you end up with anything good, or anything at all. Might even screw the cards in the process.

Hope that J stand for Joker. :tongue:

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red>

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
Damn.. That's what I thought. And the worst part is -- the Voodoo3 doesn't even make a good paperweight. Maybe I'll test its aerodynamic properties. Might make a good frisbee.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Unless there is SLI driver for it, you will only be able to run with one or the other as your 3D adapter. The Voodoo 3 will slow down your GF3 anyway.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Uh beavis? WTF are you talking about? The V3 was not a separate accelerator like the V2 was. You can't run one through the other. Sure you don't have a 12mb voodoo 2 in your hand instead?

You can put both cards in but 3D-wise only one will run at a time. I personnally would run both at once for dual monitor desktop capability and use the Ti200 for 3D apps.

RichardJSampson

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2001
Very keen observation Butthead, and you're absolutley right. It is indeed a Voodoo2 12 MB, I stand corrected. Not like it matters much.. They're both just as useless.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
yeah, in that case it is pretty much useless. At least with the V3 you could run both and get dual monitor support. All that V2 could do is DEcelerate your 3D video for you.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It might be handy for some older games that are not d3d hardware compatable but are Glide compatable. For example, Need For Speed II allows you to use higher graphics settings for the Voodoo than a D3D card.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
It might be handy for some older games that are not d3d hardware compatable but are Glide compatable. For example, Need For Speed II allows you to use higher graphics settings for the Voodoo than a D3D card.
I have NFS2. Only NFS2:SE supports the enhanced graphics with Glide.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have NFS II, I can run it at 1024x768 with a voodoo card but only have options up to 800x600 with D3D cards. Unless you can tell me how to add higher options.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?