GF4 Ti4600 article, discussion please

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'm starting a new idea, a single thread for each article posted on THG. This will help keep everything together, instead of people posting thoughts in different threads, and having the conversations hard to follow. My thoughts will follow, I'm just now starting to read the article.

The GeForce 4 Titanium series: neither capable of withstanding 4 G's, or made of Titanium. Discuss.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Wow, all four of those cards are ugly as sin. I wouldn't want to put any of them in my computer. The Asus one would look nice if the PCB was a different color.

For those who didn't know, this article mentions that the NV25, or GeForce 4 Ti series, is the same chip as used in the Xbox.

Anyone know the reason for the larger VGA connector on all GF4Ti cards? That's something that has puzzled me.

Kudos to Leadtek for the impressive heatsink (although fairly loud, apparently). That should offer some good overclocking.

244 FPS in Quake 3...does anyone even care anymore?

I'm surprised by how close the Asus and Creative cards were in all benchmarks. They both followed the reference design closely though, so it's not too surprising.

Wow, an extra 14 FPS in Quake 3. Overclocking sure paid off. Guess I was wrong about the overclockability, but these are pre-production cards after all.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i only have two thing to say...
1- they're way too expensive (the ti4600 anyways).
2- they're way to big to be a video card (i thought the R8500 way big enough...until nvidia busts out a card thats half the size of a motherboard).

<b><A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2649487" target="_new">P4 + DDR333</A>=<font color=blue>OK</font color=blue></b>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Nice sinks.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
sure the leadtek cooler looks butt-ugly... but it works! and works well!

i admire the way they have done it. huge surface area (good), good airflow cauz of 2 fans (good) and even thermal paste.

2.8ns ram. wow. they gotta be having issues with interference and path lengths running at such rediculous speeds, consider its running at at least 325mhz, when system ram is back at 166 to 200 max.

im just wondering when graphics cards will go dual channel :smile: . its a very logical place to go. can use slower (cheaper) ram, use higher densities, and still get far superior mem bandwidth.

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
im just wondering when graphics cards will go dual channel

That's a very interesting idea, and I think a very good one. It would help with RAM latency as well as raw bandwidth.

10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
So whats this blurb about the GF4 not supporting DX8? What does that do to the DX based games?

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.

Kidane

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Too big? You can never have a video card that's too big! I remember my Voodoo 2 was huge. I loved that thing...

What the hell is the point with these cards anymore? I mean, c'mon, it's a waste of money! I have a Ge Force 256 SDR and it works GREAT! I get over 120 fps in Q3 @ 1024 x 768 and all my other games run just fine. I just don't get what people's obsession is with all this. Is there anybody else who feels the same way? I mean, I enjoy reading these articles and everything, but it seems people are getting out of hand. Alot of the people here are really obsessed with their 3dmark scores. I dunno, I just don't get it (or maybe I just can't afford a new card). :)

Kidane

Det finns inget dåligt väder - bara dåliga kläder

bikeman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Eh, guys, isn't that exactly what the crossbar memory controller does since the GeForce3 came out? I think <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q1/010227/images/xbarmemcontr.gif" target="_new">this image</A> from <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q1/010227/geforce3-32.html" target="_new">this page</A> of the article called <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q1/010227/index.html" target="_new">High-Tech And Vertex Juggling -
NVIDIA's New GeForce3 GPU</A> shows actually what a multi-channel memory-controller does. But correct me if I'm wrong ...

Bikeman

<i>Then again, that's just my opinion</i>

eden

Champion
Ahhh yes, the feature that keeps on giving!
Did anybody notice this article was one of those gems by THG? Really, when Tom wrote it, he really meant informative and unbiased!

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, that's one excellent feature that's unique to the GF3 and GF4 cards.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
I could be mistaken here so don't frickin flame...

I believe with nVidias crossbar memory controller that their cards are already effectivly dual channel.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Guys as soon as Unreal 2 hits the shelves I'm going to own one of those leadtek cards. I'll push the Ti500 down to my wifes computer and push the GTS 64mb into the reserves. hehe My wife's computer gets all the leftovers and it's still more badass than most computers out there. hehe.

I just think that big heatsink is kewl looking - might not work for crap - too early to tell but it looks cool.

My real hope is that ATI will come out with something to trump the GF4 before U2 comes out...I'd hate to get the latest and greates just to have it get beat (like happened with my Ti500) - I have more money than sense I think (not that I'm a rich man by any stretch)

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
I have a Ge Force 256 SDR and it works GREAT! I get over 120 fps in Q3 @ 1024 x 768 and all my other games run just fine.
120 fps - what is that 256 color? what other games? tetris? solitaire? pong? certainly not rtcf or ballistic or aquanox. why don't you bump that res to 1600x1200 @ 16bit in one of those last hree and see what happens to your 256. (choke, sputter, sputter).

I agree, buying a new GF4 right now or with in the next 2-3 mos. would be something like buying a brand new porsche 911 - more money than brains (on that note, a nice used V12 Ferrari Testarossa for about 70k would be purrrfect). Myself, the GF2 Pro is working fine too but I at least admit, when U2 comes out, might mean an upgrade to the orig gf3.

BTW FB, the gf4 cards looked ok, but nothing so far beats that damn red gainward gf3. Now she was sexy.

<font color=blue><i>On Company time... :cool:

FatBurger

Illustrious
BTW FB, the gf4 cards looked ok, but nothing so far beats that damn red gainward gf3. Now she was sexy.

I agree, that was a nice looking card. I'm not sure which was my favorite, though. Abit's black and silver is nice, and Hercules has always made a classy looking product.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Supposedly a card based off of the Ati R250 will come out in July with 350 Mhz core and 350 x 2 DDR (700 MHz) memory. Then probably 6 months later the R300 will come out, but I really don't have a clue what its specs will be. R250 will only be Direct X 8.1 compliant according to the news I read, as Direct X 9 is quite a ways away (also rumor) Some how I don't see Ati being able to take the cake with R250, as by that time there will probably be a Geforce 4 Ultra to increase clock speeds. I can only hope R250 is better than geforce 4 though, it'll cause some nice price wars and get some better video cards to the average consumer.

"Why can't I be the man? I mean, I DO have harmony balls..." -epoth

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The Radeon 8500 is already approaching the lower-end GF4 Ti performance so I'm willing to bet that the RV250 will match or exceed the GF4Ti4600. Don't forget that it'll be based on the R200 core so the drivers will already be mature.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

l3um

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
Screw you guys, I have an ATI Rage II+ and it runs UT at 23fps. IT'S JUST FINE HAHAHA. (IN HIGH SETTINGS)

What's this?...ERROR ERROR ERROR...*CRASH & BURN*

FatBurger

Illustrious
I think it's interesting that several companies have started making cards for Ati. Have they wanted to, but Ati wanted to make their own? Or does Ati have something up their sleeve? It's interesting. Supposedly nVidia raised their prices to Hercules for making Kyro II cards, so that would give Hercules a valid reason for giving nVidia the finger (so to speak, though I guess it could've been literal). I just think it's interesting that suddenly Hercules, Powercolor, etc started making Ati's cards.

Could be no more than Ati suddenly deciding to outsource, of course.

eden

Champion
I noticed that ATI's codenaming is in sync with the number codenames of the NVs. Notice R200 is NV20 competition, while the R250 is NV25 competition! That makes the R300 or NV30 the Geforce 5...
Makes sense?

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!