Multiboot win xp installation - a couple of quickies

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

Currently My hard disk is partition as:

50 gig fat32 partition (winme installed on here)

30 gig fat32 partition (98se on this one)

70gig NTFS partition which I'm gonna put XP home on

The rest: just as an overflow - and for swapping data between os's
(system has os selector)

2 quick questions:

1 - Should I change the NTFS partition to fat32 - Heard of problems
with NTFS and multibooting

2 - can I just boot either ME or 98se, insert the xp home upgrade cd
and install onto the 70g partition, or will I need to install ME or 98
onto that partition first?

3 - Any issues with the proposed XP partition starting so far into the
disk?

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

ok - so I did an upgrade and installed onto my 70g partition - I'm not
concerned about not seeing the ntfs partition from winme and 98 -
unless anyone can think of any other reasons why I shoudl change to
fat32

however - It has installed the boot partiion on c drive alongside ME,
and the rest is on e: This seems to be causing device conflicts ,
particularly with my USB modem - the software installs, but it just
will not "complete" and turn both the modem lights to ready - so I
can't get online.. it's fine on my winme installation..

Anyone know how I can move the boot partition to the same drive?

"Dan" wrote:
> ok - so I did an upgrade and installed onto my 70g partition - I'm not
> concerned about not seeing the ntfs partition from winme and 98 -
> unless anyone can think of any other reasons why I shoudl change to
> fat32
>

> however - It has installed the boot partiion on c drive alongside ME,
> and the rest is on e: This seems to be causing device conflicts ,
> particularly with my USB modem - the software installs, but it just
> will not "complete" and turn both the modem lights to ready - so I
> can't get online.. it's fine on my winme installation..
>
> Anyone know how I can move the boot partition to the same drive?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "boot partition", but here is
some background reading which might be helpful:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/multiboot.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559&Product=winxp
http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/dualboot.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q217210/

What you want to end up with is the 3rd partition as a primary
partition that is marked "active" with the boot.ini, ntldr,
ntdetect.com files in partition #3 just under the file system root.
"Primary" will give it a boot sector, and "active" will tell the MBR
to pass control to that partition at boot time. (The HD that is
chosen at boot time for all this attention is the HD at the head of
the BIOS's HD boot order.)

You can designate which is the "active" parition by using the
Disk Management utility in XP (rt-clk My Computer, select Manage,
select Disk Management). The boot.ini file should have 3 entries
pointing to the 3 OSes. "rdisk(0)partition(n)" should be part of
each entry, where "n" is the partition no. and "rdisk(0)" specifies
that the HD lies at the head of the BIOS's HD boot order, i.e. at
relative position 0 in the boot order. The ASCII characters
between the double quotes in each entry can be set to whatever
you desire to name the contents of the partition (you can use
Notepad to edit this file). Set the timeout to something like 30
to give you enough time to choose an OS and take a sip of
coffee, and set the default entry to which ever partition you
want the default selection to be loaded from - probably the
WinXP OS in partition #3.

Terminology for your information:

Microsoft calls the partition that contains the boot files boot.ini,
ntldr, and ntdetect.com the "system" partition. Ntldr is the program
that displays the entries in boot.ini as a menu on the screen, and
it then loads the OS from the partition designated by the entry of
your choice.

Microsoft calls the partition that contains the OS that gets loaded
the "boot" partition. Yes, it's intuitively backwards, but that's
Microsoft. You'll see these labels used in the Disk Management
GUI.

*TimDaniels*

Dan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently My hard disk is partition as:
>
> 50 gig fat32 partition (winme installed on here)
>
> 30 gig fat32 partition (98se on this one)
>
> 70gig NTFS partition which I'm gonna put XP home on
>
> The rest: just as an overflow - and for swapping data between os's
> (system has os selector)
>
> 2 quick questions:
>
> 1 - Should I change the NTFS partition to fat32 -

No, unless it's absolutely necessary that you be able to access that
partition from withing Win9x/Me.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider using FAT32 when NTFS is an
option. FAT32 has no security capabilities, no compression
capabilities, no fault tolerance, and a lot of wasted hard drive space
on volumes larger than 8 Gb in size. But your computing needs may
vary, and there is no hard and fast answer.

To answer your questions without getting too technical is
difficult, but has been handled quite well by Alex Nichol in the
article here:

FAT & NTFS File Systems in Windows XP
http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfs.htm

Somewhat more technical information is here:

Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q314463

Choosing Between File Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/winntas/tips/techrep/filesyst.asp

NTFS file system
http://www.digit-life.com/articles/ntfs/

> Heard of problems
> with NTFS and multibooting

Can't imagine what kind of problems you might have heard of, but there
aren't any. Granted, the WinXP NTFS partition will be inaccessible to
the Win9x/Me installations, but this hardly constitutes a problem. In
fact it's actually a good thing, as neither Win98 or WinMe have any
security capabilities whatsoever; an NTFS partition would be protected
from anything (malware, viruses, etc) that invades the Win9x/Me
installations.

> 2 - can I just boot either ME or 98se, insert the xp home upgrade cd
> and install onto the 70g partition, or will I need to install ME or 98
> onto that partition first?

It would be best just to simply boot from the WinXP CD and let it
automatically create the multi-boot menu.

The simplest way I've found to dual boot between Win9x/Me and WinXP
would be to partition your drive(s) roughly as follows:

C: Primary FAT32 Win9x/Me/Legacy Apps
D: Extended NTFS WinXP/Modern Apps

Adjust the partition sizes according to your actual hard drive(s)
size and the amount of space you'd like to allocate to each OS and its
applications.

Create the partitions using Win9x's FDISK so you can enable large
disk support (FAT32). (No need for 3rd party partitioning
utilities/boot managers and their frequent complications.)

Install Win9x/Me first, being sure to select "C:\Windows" (or
D:\Windows, if you prefer) when asked for the default Windows
directory. When you subsequently install WinXP, be sure to specify
"D:\Winnt" (or "D:\Windows," "C:\Winnt" as referred/applicable) when
asked for the default Windows directory, to place it in the other
partition. The WinXP installation routine will automatically set up a
Multi-boot menu for you. The default settings for this menu can be
readily edited from within WinXP. NOTE: If you elect to place
Win9x/Me on the "D:" drive, you'll _have_ to leave the "C:" drive as
FAT32.

This method can be adapted to using 2 physical hard drives by
placing the boot partition (C:, which still must be FAT32) and either
of the operating systems on the Primary Master hard drive, and the
second operating system on the second hard drive.

It is also possible to have a 3rd partition for shared
applications, but it would be necessary for such a partition to be
formatted in the common file format (FAT32). The applications would
also have to be installed into each OS (to ensure proper system file
placement and registry updates), one at a time, but the bulk of the
program files could be located on this common partition. I do not,
however, actually recommend doing this as, if you were to uninstall
such an application from one OS, you may not be able to gracefully
uninstall it from the second OS, having already deleted crucial
installation data during the first uninstall action.

Just about everything you need to know (URLs may wrap):

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/2/10.ASP

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/multiboot.asp

> 3 - Any issues with the proposed XP partition starting so far into the
> disk?

None, whatsoever.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Dan, DO change the NTFS to FAT32. If not, you won't be able to see the XP
partition from WinME or Win98SE.
Yes, you can do a clean install of WinXP with a Upgrade Disk. Just
choose New Install and Advanced which will let
you choose which partition to install XP on. No need to install Me or
98 first.

Rich Barry wrote:
> Dan, DO change the NTFS to FAT32. If not, you won't be able to see the XP
> partition from WinME or Win98SE.

True, but that's a good thing under most circumstances.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm