upgrading motherboard - do I need to re-install everything?

Hello

I have an ASUS P4PE motherboard which just died. I can't find an exact
replacement, so I had to go with a new P4P800 E deluxe (Still socket 478)

Anyway, before I install this new motherboard, my question is:

1) Will I need to format C and completely re-install Windows and all my
applications? I have the original Win XP on CD (Pre-SP2)

or

2) My C drive has Win XP Sp2 with all the latest updates. Can I perform a
repair or some kind or re-install the operating system only so that I don't
have to re-install all my other software in order to keep my settings intact
(i.e. ipod music, photo catalogs, etc..)

Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about upgrading motherboard install everything

    Hi! I've had the exact same situation - I upgraded my P4PE mobo to a P4P800
    SE motherboard a while back. The change is fairly easy, but very detailed.
    Here's a link that I used when doing it:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    Follow the directions exactly - and don't be surprised if problems pop up!
    It seems to revolve around making the minimum of hardware changes (so it's a
    good thing that you stayed with Asus). There's lot's of horror stories on
    the web about this procedure - but having done it myself, I found that it
    wasn't so bad. Also, I imaged my hard drive prior to starting it - so if it
    failed, I had a good backup ready and waiting (didn't need it tho')

    Good luck!

    "Sierras" wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have an ASUS P4PE motherboard which just died. I can't find an exact
    > replacement, so I had to go with a new P4P800 E deluxe (Still socket 478)
    >
    > Anyway, before I install this new motherboard, my question is:
    >
    > 1) Will I need to format C and completely re-install Windows and all my
    > applications? I have the original Win XP on CD (Pre-SP2)
    >
    > or
    >
    > 2) My C drive has Win XP Sp2 with all the latest updates. Can I perform a
    > repair or some kind or re-install the operating system only so that I don't
    > have to re-install all my other software in order to keep my settings intact
    > (i.e. ipod music, photo catalogs, etc..)
    >
    > Thanks

    A repair install should work for you. (available on the retail copy , but
    may not be on a manufacture copy if that is what you have ) . This procedure
    will keep your files , settings and programs intact. JJ

    "" wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have an ASUS P4PE motherboard which just died. I can't find
    > an exact
    > replacement, so I had to go with a new P4P800 E deluxe (Still
    > socket 478)
    >
    > Anyway, before I install this new motherboard, my question is:
    >
    > 1) Will I need to format C and completely re-install Windows
    > and all my
    > applications? I have the original Win XP on CD (Pre-SP2)
    >
    > or
    >
    > 2) My C drive has Win XP Sp2 with all the latest updates.
    > Can I perform a
    > repair or some kind or re-install the operating system only so
    > that I don't
    > have to re-install all my other software in order to keep my
    > settings intact
    > (i.e. ipod music, photo catalogs, etc..)
    >
    > Thanks

    Since it’s a totaly diffrent motherborad a repair install of windows
    will be probably be needed, you wont have to reinstall other
    aplications unless they complain some thing is missing when you try
    and run them.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-upgrading-motherboard-install-ftopict418841.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1398461

    "usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi! I've had the exact same situation - I upgraded my P4PE mobo to a
    > P4P800
    > SE motherboard a while back. The change is fairly easy, but very
    > detailed.
    > Here's a link that I used when doing it:
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
    >
    > Follow the directions exactly - and don't be surprised if problems pop up!
    > It seems to revolve around making the minimum of hardware changes (so it's
    > good thing that you stayed with Asus). There's lot's of horror stories on
    > the web about this procedure - but having done it myself, I found that it
    > wasn't so bad. Also, I imaged my hard drive prior to starting it - so if
    > it
    > failed, I had a good backup ready and waiting (didn't need it tho')
    >
    > Good luck!

    Sierras:
    Of course things can go wrong as we've all learned working with PCs. But in
    most cases a change in motherboards, while a significant undertaking, isn't
    terribly difficult to accomplish without any gross problems.

    Do this...

    1. First of all, if it's at all possible, back up whatever important files
    that you can't afford to lose from your present HD. I'm assuming you have
    another computer available to you (since you posted a message to this
    newsgroup), so if you can install your HD in that computer and perform the
    backup, do so. Better still, using that second PC, if you have available a
    disk imaging program such as Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image,
    clone the contents of your HD to another internal or external HD should you
    have another drive available to you. The point to all of this is that things
    *can* go wrong, notwithstanding my opening comment, so it's *always* prudent
    to back up any important/critical data before undertaking any major
    operation such as a motherboard change.

    2. Install your new motherboard with the minimum of connected components, i.
    e., your processor & heatsink, your RAM, your video card, and of course, the
    power supply. Connect your monitor. Nothing else, not even your keyboard or
    mouse is needed at this point. Turn on the power. You *must* get a screen
    display at this point. Doesn't matter what it "says". Just so you get a
    display. If you don't, you go no further. You find out what's the problem
    and you correct it.

    3. Assuming no problems, you install & connect each component in turn.

    4. Boot up with your HD connected. You may be lucky and the system will
    boot. You may be even luckier in that XP will pick up at least some of your
    drivers. But even assuming the system boots, you will most likely need some
    or all of the drivers from the ASUS installation CD.

    5. But the chances are good that the system will not boot at the outset. In
    that case you will need to perform a Repair install of the OS as mentioned
    by the above poster. You mentioned that your XP installation disk does not
    contain SP2. It would be best if it did. If possible, create a
    "slipstreamed" version containing SP2. There's a program called
    "Autostreamer" that makes it relatively easy to accomplish this. See
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562 to download the
    program. In any event, in one way or another you'll need to install SP2 +
    all the Windows Critical Updates following the Repair install.

    6. The Michael Stevens site mentioned by the above poster contains detailed
    information on performing a Repair install. You can also do a Google search
    on "XP repair install". There are a number of sites that provide
    step-by-step instructions re this process.

    7. It's a near-certainty that you will need to again Activate your system
    with MS following the motherboard change.
    Anna

    Thanks - I was looking at that procedure before I posted. But it seemed to
    be geared to someone who knew that they were going to upgrade the
    motherboard beforehand. It tells you to start Windows before installing the
    new motherboard and choose "Upgrade", then shutdown Windows and install the
    new motherboard.

    My problem is that the system won't boot. Not even POST. So I'll have to
    install the new motherboard without "preparing" Windows for a new hardware.

    Did you have any stability issues after the upgrade? I had talked with an
    ASUS tech who said that they recommend a total format and re-install of the
    OS to avoid any "Blue screens". It's nice to know that there is a chance to
    not have to re-install everything.

    Any pointers on the replacement would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks for your help..

    "usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi! I've had the exact same situation - I upgraded my P4PE mobo to a
    P4P800
    > SE motherboard a while back. The change is fairly easy, but very
    detailed.
    > Here's a link that I used when doing it:
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
    >
    > Follow the directions exactly - and don't be surprised if problems pop up!
    > It seems to revolve around making the minimum of hardware changes (so it's
    > good thing that you stayed with Asus). There's lot's of horror stories on
    > the web about this procedure - but having done it myself, I found that it
    > wasn't so bad. Also, I imaged my hard drive prior to starting it - so if
    it
    > failed, I had a good backup ready and waiting (didn't need it tho')
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > "Sierras" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I have an ASUS P4PE motherboard which just died. I can't find an exact
    > > replacement, so I had to go with a new P4P800 E deluxe (Still socket
    478)

    > > Anyway, before I install this new motherboard, my question is:
    > >
    > > 1) Will I need to format C and completely re-install Windows and all my
    > > applications? I have the original Win XP on CD (Pre-SP2)
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    > > 2) My C drive has Win XP Sp2 with all the latest updates. Can I
    perform a
    > > repair or some kind or re-install the operating system only so that I
    don't
    > > have to re-install all my other software in order to keep my settings
    intact
    > > (i.e. ipod music, photo catalogs, etc..)
    > >
    > > Thanks

    My Windows XP Home Edition CD shows that is for distribution with a new PC
    only. I guess it's not the retail version as it came with my PC.

    Does that mean that I will not be able to do a repair install?

    "JJ" <nadanadanada@nada.com> wrote in message
    > A repair install should work for you. (available on the retail copy , but
    > may not be on a manufacture copy if that is what you have ) . This
    procedure
    > will keep your files , settings and programs intact. JJ
    >

    > "Sierras" <danick5000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I have an ASUS P4PE motherboard which just died. I can't find an exact
    > > replacement, so I had to go with a new P4P800 E deluxe (Still socket
    478)

    > > Anyway, before I install this new motherboard, my question is:
    > >
    > > 1) Will I need to format C and completely re-install Windows and all my
    > > applications? I have the original Win XP on CD (Pre-SP2)
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    > > 2) My C drive has Win XP Sp2 with all the latest updates. Can I
    perform
    > > repair or some kind or re-install the operating system only so that I
    > > don't
    > > have to re-install all my other software in order to keep my settings
    > > intact
    > > (i.e. ipod music, photo catalogs, etc..)
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Depending on how that chose what information they wanted to install on the
    cd that they shipped with your pc it , repair install option is "optional".
    Check with the manufacture . JJ

    > My Windows XP Home Edition CD shows that is for distribution with a new PC
    > only. I guess it's not the retail version as it came with my PC.
    >
    > Does that mean that I will not be able to do a repair install?
    >

    > "JJ" <nadanadanada@nada.com> wrote in message
    >> A repair install should work for you. (available on the retail copy , but
    >> may not be on a manufacture copy if that is what you have ) . This
    > procedure
    >> will keep your files , settings and programs intact. JJ
    >>

    >> "Sierras" <danick5000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello
    >> >
    >> > I have an ASUS P4PE motherboard which just died. I can't find an exact
    >> > replacement, so I had to go with a new P4P800 E deluxe (Still socket
    > 478)
    >> >
    >> > Anyway, before I install this new motherboard, my question is:
    >> >
    >> > 1) Will I need to format C and completely re-install Windows and all my
    >> > applications? I have the original Win XP on CD (Pre-SP2)
    >> >
    >> > or
    >> >
    >> > 2) My C drive has Win XP Sp2 with all the latest updates. Can I
    > perform
    >> > repair or some kind or re-install the operating system only so that I
    >> > don't
    >> > have to re-install all my other software in order to keep my settings
    >> > intact
    >> > (i.e. ipod music, photo catalogs, etc..)
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

    Hello again.

    I read the link you provided a little more carefully
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    In one of the articles it talkes about replacing motherboards and needing to
    have a "Retail" version of Windows XP in order to do the repair.

    I have a version that is for the purchase of a new computer. The computer
    is a generic, but this is an OEM version (I guess).

    Did you have a Retail version to do the repair? I'm wondering if I have to
    either forget about the whole repair option, or have to purchase a retail
    version of XP or if an upgrade version will work or if there are discount
    licenses for these type of situations. (After all, I'm still only using it
    on one PC - I don't see why I'd have to buy another license just becasue my
    motherboard died)

    Thanks again..

    Sierras wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have an ASUS P4PE motherboard which just died. I can't find an exact
    > replacement, so I had to go with a new P4P800 E deluxe (Still socket 478)
    >
    > Anyway, before I install this new motherboard, my question is:
    >
    > 1) Will I need to format C and completely re-install Windows and all my
    > applications? I have the original Win XP on CD (Pre-SP2)

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
    new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
    motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
    same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
    originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    > or
    >
    > 2) My C drive has Win XP Sp2 with all the latest updates. Can I perform a
    > repair or some kind or re-install the operating system only so that I don't
    > have to re-install all my other software in order to keep my settings intact
    > (i.e. ipod music, photo catalogs, etc..)

    You'll have to create a new installation CD with SP2 slipstreamed into
    it to perform the repair.

    Create a Slip Stream version of WinXP
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    This is just to let you all know how it all turned out. I haven't finished
    yet - but so far so good. Thanks to everyone who helped me out.

    First, I created a slipsteamed Win XP with SP2 on another computer. But I
    never ended up using it.

    After I auto launched the CD and hit Install, I got a message that the OS on
    the computer was newer than the one on the CD. So I couldn't even get to
    the repair selection.

    After it rebooted, WinXP found the new hardware and wanted to start
    installing it. But I didn't let it continue. I guess I should have by just
    removing my slipstreamed XP CD and inserting the motherboard CD. As a
    result, I got one of those memory dump blue screens of death. After
    restarting, all seemed to go well. XP wanted me to activate windows, but it
    said that I had 3 days to do so, so I figured I had time. Again, I guess I
    should have reactivated right away. Because after it found all the
    necessary drives on my motherboard CD, Windows restarted but it wouldn't let
    me log on anymore without activation. For some reason I couldn't activate
    over the net (probably a firewall issue), so I had to use the phone method.
    A little longer, but activated with no problem.

    So for now, all seems to be working fine. In the end, to make a long story
    short, all I did was install the motherboard and start Windows normally and
    it took care of itself. Amazing!!

    Just wondering what I should do if I ever get another one of those memory
    dump blue screens of death since I know that Windows won't let me use my
    original slipstreamed WinXP with SP2 slipstreamed....

    Anyway, thanks again.

    "usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi! I've had the exact same situation - I upgraded my P4PE mobo to a
    P4P800
    > SE motherboard a while back. The change is fairly easy, but very
    detailed.
    > Here's a link that I used when doing it:
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
    >
    > Follow the directions exactly - and don't be surprised if problems pop up!
    > It seems to revolve around making the minimum of hardware changes (so it's
    > good thing that you stayed with Asus). There's lot's of horror stories on
    > the web about this procedure - but having done it myself, I found that it
    > wasn't so bad. Also, I imaged my hard drive prior to starting it - so if
    it
    > failed, I had a good backup ready and waiting (didn't need it tho')
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > "Sierras" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I have an ASUS P4PE motherboard which just died. I can't find an exact
    > > replacement, so I had to go with a new P4P800 E deluxe (Still socket
    478)

    > > Anyway, before I install this new motherboard, my question is:
    > >
    > > 1) Will I need to format C and completely re-install Windows and all my
    > > applications? I have the original Win XP on CD (Pre-SP2)
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    > > 2) My C drive has Win XP Sp2 with all the latest updates. Can I
    perform a
    > > repair or some kind or re-install the operating system only so that I
    don't
    > > have to re-install all my other software in order to keep my settings
    intact
    > > (i.e. ipod music, photo catalogs, etc..)
    > >
    > > Thanks

Motherboards Windows XP