Overclocking

Xaos

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
This may be a newbie question, but how can manufacturers and their retail outlets tell if a Video Card has been overclocked. My Gforce III died before my eyes the other week and, being but 4 months old, want it fixed/replaced by Hercules. However--like everyone of you out there--I routinely overclocked the GPU & RAM. Nothing too hardcore and always protected by heatsinks, Arctic Silver II, & a blorb. I highly doubt the overclocking is the source of my card's premature death, but it voids the warranty.

So how can a manufacturer tell? Moreover, what are the most common sources of failure in video cards? Finally, I'd be more than interested in your experiences of returning cards to the manufacturer.

Cheers, and thanx for any info!

Give me Convenience or Give me Death!

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
They can tell by the Blorb and the epoxy you probably slapped on to put on your heatsinks. Well, look at it this way.
What have you got to lose?

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

Xaos

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
LOL!! Although I replaced the blorb with the stock heatsink and old white paste, I might get busted on the RAM: One of the heatsinks literally fell off one day so I epoxy'd it back on. You're right, what have I got to loose?

Give me Convenience or Give me Death!