DVD/CD Rom Problems

My DVD/CD-Rom Drive has been experiencing problems (i.e. not
playing/installing disks when inserted). The light comes on, but will not
recognize the disk. After tech call w/ Dell, it was determined that it will
only recognize a cd/dvd one time (after restarting computer). After that, in
order for a cd/dvd to be able to be recognized & used, I must restart the
computer. The only ideas that were offered are to reinstall Microsoft Windows
XP, or to restore to a date/time before issue occurred. Neither are options:
either lose all information, or back up extensive data. Can anyone offer
assistance as to an easier fix? Please?
5 answers Last reply
More about problems

    See if this might help..
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Windows-XP-autorun-repair-wizard.shtml

    "TastefullyCasey" <TastefullyCasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:6060CE98-06E3-46AD-A516-376694B53671@microsoft.com...
    > My DVD/CD-Rom Drive has been experiencing problems (i.e. not
    > playing/installing disks when inserted). The light comes on, but will not
    > recognize the disk. After tech call w/ Dell, it was determined that it
    > will
    > only recognize a cd/dvd one time (after restarting computer). After that,
    > in
    > order for a cd/dvd to be able to be recognized & used, I must restart the
    > computer. The only ideas that were offered are to reinstall Microsoft
    > Windows
    > XP, or to restore to a date/time before issue occurred. Neither are
    > either lose all information, or back up extensive data. Can anyone offer
    > assistance as to an easier fix? Please?

    Thanx, Ricky, but that didn't help. I really don't want to reload Windows,
    but may have to. Or, I could try to restore to a previous date, but I just
    don't have a lot of time to mess around with this. Thanx anyway!

    "Ricky" wrote:

    > See if this might help..
    > http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Windows-XP-autorun-repair-wizard.shtml
    >
    > "TastefullyCasey" <TastefullyCasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:6060CE98-06E3-46AD-A516-376694B53671@microsoft.com...
    > > My DVD/CD-Rom Drive has been experiencing problems (i.e. not
    > > playing/installing disks when inserted). The light comes on, but will not
    > > recognize the disk. After tech call w/ Dell, it was determined that it
    > > will
    > > only recognize a cd/dvd one time (after restarting computer). After that,
    > > in
    > > order for a cd/dvd to be able to be recognized & used, I must restart the
    > > computer. The only ideas that were offered are to reinstall Microsoft
    > > Windows
    > > XP, or to restore to a date/time before issue occurred. Neither are
    > > either lose all information, or back up extensive data. Can anyone offer
    > > assistance as to an easier fix? Please?

    This was copied from another post..it may help..

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom
    Double click Autorun
    Set value to "1" under Value Data
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Double click "NoDriveTypeAutoRun
    Verify that value is set to "91" under Value Data
    Close the registry editor
    Restart Computer.

    "TastefullyCasey" <TastefullyCasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:FEE63C47-AD02-437B-8D4D-AEDF241C53F4@microsoft.com...
    > Thanx, Ricky, but that didn't help. I really don't want to reload
    > Windows,
    > but may have to. Or, I could try to restore to a previous date, but I just
    > don't have a lot of time to mess around with this. Thanx anyway!
    >
    > "Ricky" wrote:
    >
    >> See if this might help..
    >> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Windows-XP-autorun-repair-wizard.shtml
    >>
    >> "TastefullyCasey" <TastefullyCasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:6060CE98-06E3-46AD-A516-376694B53671@microsoft.com...
    >> > My DVD/CD-Rom Drive has been experiencing problems (i.e. not
    >> > playing/installing disks when inserted). The light comes on, but will
    >> > not
    >> > recognize the disk. After tech call w/ Dell, it was determined that it
    >> > will
    >> > only recognize a cd/dvd one time (after restarting computer). After
    >> > that,
    >> > in
    >> > order for a cd/dvd to be able to be recognized & used, I must restart
    >> > the
    >> > computer. The only ideas that were offered are to reinstall Microsoft
    >> > Windows
    >> > XP, or to restore to a date/time before issue occurred. Neither are
    >> > either lose all information, or back up extensive data. Can anyone
    >> > offer
    >> > assistance as to an easier fix? Please?

    I'm sorry, Ricky, where do I find these commands? At least the initial
    command...I usually do't have to reset anything, so I am a little lost.
    Thanx!

    "Ricky" wrote:

    > This was copied from another post..it may help..
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom
    > Double click Autorun
    > Set value to "1" under Value Data
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    > Double click "NoDriveTypeAutoRun
    > Verify that value is set to "91" under Value Data
    > Close the registry editor
    > Restart Computer.
    >
    > "TastefullyCasey" <TastefullyCasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:FEE63C47-AD02-437B-8D4D-AEDF241C53F4@microsoft.com...
    > > Thanx, Ricky, but that didn't help. I really don't want to reload
    > > Windows,
    > > but may have to. Or, I could try to restore to a previous date, but I just
    > > don't have a lot of time to mess around with this. Thanx anyway!
    > >
    > > "Ricky" wrote:
    > >
    > >> See if this might help..
    > >> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Windows-XP-autorun-repair-wizard.shtml
    > >>
    > >> "TastefullyCasey" <TastefullyCasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > >> message news:6060CE98-06E3-46AD-A516-376694B53671@microsoft.com...

    I found them Ricky. The settings were set correctly. I might try to contact
    Dell again, to see if they can think of anything else that we can try. Thanx
    anyway.

    "TastefullyCasey" wrote:

    > I'm sorry, Ricky, where do I find these commands? At least the initial
    > command...I usually do't have to reset anything, so I am a little lost.
    > Thanx!
    >
    > "Ricky" wrote:
    >
    > > This was copied from another post..it may help..
    > >
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom
    > > Double click Autorun
    > > Set value to "1" under Value Data
    > > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    > > Double click "NoDriveTypeAutoRun
    > > Verify that value is set to "91" under Value Data
    > > Close the registry editor
    > > Restart Computer.
    > >
    > > "TastefullyCasey" <TastefullyCasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > message news:FEE63C47-AD02-437B-8D4D-AEDF241C53F4@microsoft.com...
    > > > Thanx, Ricky, but that didn't help. I really don't want to reload
    > > > Windows,
    > > > but may have to. Or, I could try to restore to a previous date, but I just
    > > > don't have a lot of time to mess around with this. Thanx anyway!

DVD CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP