DVD/CD Rom Problems

September 8, 2005 2:15:01 PM

My DVD/CD-Rom Drive has been experiencing problems (i.e. not
playing/installing disks when inserted). The light comes on, but will not
recognize the disk. After tech call w/ Dell, it was determined that it will
only recognize a cd/dvd one time (after restarting computer). After that, in
order for a cd/dvd to be able to be recognized & used, I must restart the
computer. The only ideas that were offered are to reinstall Microsoft Windows
XP, or to restore to a date/time before issue occurred. Neither are options:
either lose all information, or back up extensive data. Can anyone offer
assistance as to an easier fix? Please?

More about : dvd rom problems

September 8, 2005 9:17:25 PM

See if this might help..
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Windows...

"TastefullyCasey" <TastefullyCasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:6060CE98-06E3-46AD-A516-376694B53671@microsoft.com...
> My DVD/CD-Rom Drive has been experiencing problems (i.e. not
> playing/installing disks when inserted). The light comes on, but will not
> recognize the disk. After tech call w/ Dell, it was determined that it
> will
> only recognize a cd/dvd one time (after restarting computer). After that,
> in
> order for a cd/dvd to be able to be recognized & used, I must restart the
> computer. The only ideas that were offered are to reinstall Microsoft
> Windows
> XP, or to restore to a date/time before issue occurred. Neither are
> either lose all information, or back up extensive data. Can anyone offer
> assistance as to an easier fix? Please?
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 1:08:03 AM

Thanx, Ricky, but that didn't help. I really don't want to reload Windows,
but may have to. Or, I could try to restore to a previous date, but I just
don't have a lot of time to mess around with this. Thanx anyway!

"Ricky" wrote:

> See if this might help..
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Windows...
>
> "TastefullyCasey" <TastefullyCasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:6060CE98-06E3-46AD-A516-376694B53671@microsoft.com...
> > My DVD/CD-Rom Drive has been experiencing problems (i.e. not
> > playing/installing disks when inserted). The light comes on, but will not
> > recognize the disk. After tech call w/ Dell, it was determined that it
> > will
> > only recognize a cd/dvd one time (after restarting computer). After that,
> > in
> > order for a cd/dvd to be able to be recognized & used, I must restart the
> > computer. The only ideas that were offered are to reinstall Microsoft
> > Windows
> > XP, or to restore to a date/time before issue occurred. Neither are
> > either lose all information, or back up extensive data. Can anyone offer
> > assistance as to an easier fix? Please?

Related resources
September 9, 2005 4:09:37 AM

This was copied from another post..it may help..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom
Double click Autorun
Set value to "1" under Value Data
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Double click "NoDriveTypeAutoRun
Verify that value is set to "91" under Value Data
Close the registry editor
Restart Computer.

"TastefullyCasey" <TastefullyCasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:FEE63C47-AD02-437B-8D4D-AEDF241C53F4@microsoft.com...
> Thanx, Ricky, but that didn't help. I really don't want to reload
> Windows,
> but may have to. Or, I could try to restore to a previous date, but I just
> don't have a lot of time to mess around with this. Thanx anyway!
>
> "Ricky" wrote:
>
>> See if this might help..
>> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Windows...
>>
>> "TastefullyCasey" <TastefullyCasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:6060CE98-06E3-46AD-A516-376694B53671@microsoft.com...
>> > My DVD/CD-Rom Drive has been experiencing problems (i.e. not
>> > playing/installing disks when inserted). The light comes on, but will
>> > not
>> > recognize the disk. After tech call w/ Dell, it was determined that it
>> > will
>> > only recognize a cd/dvd one time (after restarting computer). After
>> > that,
>> > in
>> > order for a cd/dvd to be able to be recognized & used, I must restart
>> > the
>> > computer. The only ideas that were offered are to reinstall Microsoft
>> > Windows
>> > XP, or to restore to a date/time before issue occurred. Neither are
>> > either lose all information, or back up extensive data. Can anyone
>> > offer
>> > assistance as to an easier fix? Please?

Anonymous
September 9, 2005 10:57:04 AM

I'm sorry, Ricky, where do I find these commands? At least the initial
command...I usually do't have to reset anything, so I am a little lost.
Thanx!

"Ricky" wrote:

> This was copied from another post..it may help..
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom
> Double click Autorun
> Set value to "1" under Value Data
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
> Double click "NoDriveTypeAutoRun
> Verify that value is set to "91" under Value Data
> Close the registry editor
> Restart Computer.
>
> "TastefullyCasey" <TastefullyCasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:FEE63C47-AD02-437B-8D4D-AEDF241C53F4@microsoft.com...
> > Thanx, Ricky, but that didn't help. I really don't want to reload
> > Windows,
> > but may have to. Or, I could try to restore to a previous date, but I just
> > don't have a lot of time to mess around with this. Thanx anyway!
> >
> > "Ricky" wrote:
> >
> >> See if this might help..
> >> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Windows...
> >>
> >> "TastefullyCasey" <TastefullyCasey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:6060CE98-06E3-46AD-A516-376694B53671@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
September 9, 2005 12:35:44 PM

I found them Ricky. The settings were set correctly. I might try to contact
Dell again, to see if they can think of anything else that we can try. Thanx
anyway.

!