ActiveX Problems

I am trying to update a WinXP Home computer at the Windows update site.
Every time I connect to Windows update I get the message "Your current
security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a
result, the page may not display properly."

I have set all of the Security settings in IE to low and enabled every
ActixeX control possible on the laptop. I have run two different virus
scanners and have found no viruses. I have run Adaware and Spy-bot and the
system is clean. Nothing I try will even let Internet Explorer begin to
download any kind of update for IE or for Windows. If there a way to fix the
ActiveX problem without the original XP Home disk? The laptop I am trying to
fix belongs to a person from New Orleans who lost her software and almost
everything else she owned in the hurricane. So I don't even have the
original software. Any help would be appreciated!

dena
9 answers Last reply
More about activex problems

    I have tried your suggestion and nothing worked. Any other suggestions?
    "Dena" <dseago@benedictine.edu> wrote in message
    >I am trying to update a WinXP Home computer at the Windows update site.
    >Every time I connect to Windows update I get the message "Your current
    >security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a
    >result, the page may not display properly."
    >
    > I have set all of the Security settings in IE to low and enabled every
    > ActixeX control possible on the laptop. I have run two different virus
    > scanners and have found no viruses. I have run Adaware and Spy-bot and the
    > system is clean. Nothing I try will even let Internet Explorer begin to
    > download any kind of update for IE or for Windows. If there a way to fix
    > the ActiveX problem without the original XP Home disk? The laptop I am
    > trying to fix belongs to a person from New Orleans who lost her software
    > and almost everything else she owned in the hurricane. So I don't even
    > have the original software. Any help would be appreciated!
    >
    > dena

    "You receive a "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX
    controls on this page" message when you try to use Windows Update"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;836942#top

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "Dena" <dseago@benedictine.edu> wrote in message
    > I am trying to update a WinXP Home computer at the Windows update site.
    > Every time I connect to Windows update I get the message "Your current
    > security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a
    > result, the page may not display properly."
    >
    > I have set all of the Security settings in IE to low and enabled every
    > ActixeX control possible on the laptop. I have run two different virus
    > scanners and have found no viruses. I have run Adaware and Spy-bot and the
    > system is clean. Nothing I try will even let Internet Explorer begin to
    > download any kind of update for IE or for Windows. If there a way to fix
    the
    > ActiveX problem without the original XP Home disk? The laptop I am trying
    > fix belongs to a person from New Orleans who lost her software and almost
    > everything else she owned in the hurricane. So I don't even have the
    > original software. Any help would be appreciated!
    >
    > dena

    I am wondering if it is possible to do a repair of Win XP Home without the
    original cd? Since it was lost in the hurricane I don't know how to go about
    getting a replacement and I think the ActiveX part of the software needs
    repairing. Any ideas?

    In article <OzmSwFKtFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
    dseago@benedictine.edu says...
    > I am trying to update a WinXP Home computer at the Windows update site.
    > Every time I connect to Windows update I get the message "Your current
    > security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a
    > result, the page may not display properly."
    >
    > I have set all of the Security settings in IE to low and enabled every
    > ActixeX control possible on the laptop. I have run two different virus
    > scanners and have found no viruses. I have run Adaware and Spy-bot and the
    > system is clean. Nothing I try will even let Internet Explorer begin to
    > download any kind of update for IE or for Windows. If there a way to fix the
    > ActiveX problem without the original XP Home disk? The laptop I am trying to
    > fix belongs to a person from New Orleans who lost her software and almost
    > everything else she owned in the hurricane. So I don't even have the
    > original software. Any help would be appreciated!

    Put "*.microsoft.com" in the IE Trusted Security Zone.

    If she's running a firewall it could also be blocking the ActiveX
    control.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Just read your post....just had the same problem. I copied a post from
    someone previously on the same problem. Do what it says. It worked for
    me...and I was skeptical. It appears others have had the same trouble:

    I had the same problem when I tried to update my system running windows xp.
    The advice that I got from tech support was to re-register the following .dll
    files using the regsvr command, *Softpub.dll, *Wintrust.dll, *Initpki.dll,
    and *Urlmon.dll.
    1. Click Start ->Run and type "regsvr32 Softpub.dll" (without double quotes)
    2 Click okay to register it
    3. Do the same re-registration process with the rest of the .dll files.
    Restart your computer and try the update site again. If this doesn't work,
    they gave me a couple of other suggestions to try. It worked for me, good luc

    "Dena" wrote:

    > I am wondering if it is possible to do a repair of Win XP Home without the
    > original cd? Since it was lost in the hurricane I don't know how to go about
    > getting a replacement and I think the ActiveX part of the software needs
    > repairing. Any ideas?
    > "Dena" <dseago@benedictine.edu> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to update a WinXP Home computer at the Windows update site.
    > >Every time I connect to Windows update I get the message "Your current
    > >security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a
    > >result, the page may not display properly."
    > >
    > > I have set all of the Security settings in IE to low and enabled every
    > > ActixeX control possible on the laptop. I have run two different virus
    > > scanners and have found no viruses. I have run Adaware and Spy-bot and the
    > > system is clean. Nothing I try will even let Internet Explorer begin to
    > > download any kind of update for IE or for Windows. If there a way to fix
    > > the ActiveX problem without the original XP Home disk? The laptop I am
    > > trying to fix belongs to a person from New Orleans who lost her software
    > > and almost everything else she owned in the hurricane. So I don't even
    > > have the original software. Any help would be appreciated!
    > >
    > > dena

    It worked! Thanks so very much! I really appreciate your help! And thanks to
    all who tried to help on this problem. Have a great weekend!

    Dena

    "Cornfused" <Cornfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just read your post....just had the same problem. I copied a post from
    > someone previously on the same problem. Do what it says. It worked for
    > me...and I was skeptical. It appears others have had the same trouble:
    >
    > I had the same problem when I tried to update my system running windows
    > xp.
    > The advice that I got from tech support was to re-register the following
    > .dll
    > files using the regsvr command, *Softpub.dll, *Wintrust.dll, *Initpki.dll,
    > and *Urlmon.dll.
    > 1. Click Start ->Run and type "regsvr32 Softpub.dll" (without double
    > quotes)
    > 2 Click okay to register it
    > 3. Do the same re-registration process with the rest of the .dll files.
    > Restart your computer and try the update site again. If this doesn't
    > work,
    > they gave me a couple of other suggestions to try. It worked for me, good
    > luc
    >
    > "Dena" wrote:
    >
    >> I am wondering if it is possible to do a repair of Win XP Home without
    >> the
    >> original cd? Since it was lost in the hurricane I don't know how to go
    >> about
    >> getting a replacement and I think the ActiveX part of the software needs
    >> repairing. Any ideas?
    >> "Dena" <dseago@benedictine.edu> wrote in message
    >> >I am trying to update a WinXP Home computer at the Windows update site.
    >> >Every time I connect to Windows update I get the message "Your current
    >> >security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a
    >> >result, the page may not display properly."
    >> >
    >> > I have set all of the Security settings in IE to low and enabled every
    >> > ActixeX control possible on the laptop. I have run two different virus
    >> > scanners and have found no viruses. I have run Adaware and Spy-bot and
    >> > the
    >> > system is clean. Nothing I try will even let Internet Explorer begin to
    >> > download any kind of update for IE or for Windows. If there a way to
    >> > fix
    >> > the ActiveX problem without the original XP Home disk? The laptop I am
    >> > trying to fix belongs to a person from New Orleans who lost her
    >> > software
    >> > and almost everything else she owned in the hurricane. So I don't even
    >> > have the original software. Any help would be appreciated!
    >> >
    >> > dena

  7. :bounce:
    Quote:

    I have tried your suggestion and nothing worked. Any other suggestions?
    "Dena" <dseago@benedictine.edu> wrote in message
    >I am trying to update a WinXP Home computer at the Windows update site.
    >Every time I connect to Windows update I get the message "Your current
    >security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a
    >result, the page may not display properly."
    >
    > I have set all of the Security settings in IE to low and enabled every
    > ActixeX control possible on the laptop. I have run two different virus
    > scanners and have found no viruses. I have run Adaware and Spy-bot and the
    > system is clean. Nothing I try will even let Internet Explorer begin to
    > download any kind of update for IE or for Windows. If there a way to fix
    > the ActiveX problem without the original XP Home disk? The laptop I am
    > trying to fix belongs to a person from New Orleans who lost her software
    > and almost everything else she owned in the hurricane. So I don't even
    > have the original software. Any help would be appreciated!
    >
    > dena

  8. Quote:

[...]

  9. Quote:

[...]

Internet Explorer Activex Windows XP