ActiveX Problems

I am trying to update a WinXP Home computer at the Windows update site.
Every time I connect to Windows update I get the message "Your current
security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a
result, the page may not display properly."

I have set all of the Security settings in IE to low and enabled every
ActixeX control possible on the laptop. I have run two different virus
scanners and have found no viruses. I have run Adaware and Spy-bot and the
system is clean. Nothing I try will even let Internet Explorer begin to
download any kind of update for IE or for Windows. If there a way to fix the
ActiveX problem without the original XP Home disk? The laptop I am trying to
fix belongs to a person from New Orleans who lost her software and almost
everything else she owned in the hurricane. So I don't even have the
original software. Any help would be appreciated!

dena

I have tried your suggestion and nothing worked. Any other suggestions?
"Dena" <dseago@benedictine.edu> wrote in message
>I am trying to update a WinXP Home computer at the Windows update site.
>Every time I connect to Windows update I get the message "Your current
>security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a
>result, the page may not display properly."
>
> I have set all of the Security settings in IE to low and enabled every
> ActixeX control possible on the laptop. I have run two different virus
> scanners and have found no viruses. I have run Adaware and Spy-bot and the
> system is clean. Nothing I try will even let Internet Explorer begin to
> download any kind of update for IE or for Windows. If there a way to fix
> the ActiveX problem without the original XP Home disk? The laptop I am
> trying to fix belongs to a person from New Orleans who lost her software
> and almost everything else she owned in the hurricane. So I don't even
> have the original software. Any help would be appreciated!
>
> dena

"You receive a "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX
controls on this page" message when you try to use Windows Update"
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;836942#top

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Dena" <dseago@benedictine.edu> wrote in message
> I am trying to update a WinXP Home computer at the Windows update site.
> Every time I connect to Windows update I get the message "Your current
> security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a
> result, the page may not display properly."
>
> I have set all of the Security settings in IE to low and enabled every
> ActixeX control possible on the laptop. I have run two different virus
> scanners and have found no viruses. I have run Adaware and Spy-bot and the
> system is clean. Nothing I try will even let Internet Explorer begin to
> download any kind of update for IE or for Windows. If there a way to fix
the
> ActiveX problem without the original XP Home disk? The laptop I am trying
> fix belongs to a person from New Orleans who lost her software and almost
> everything else she owned in the hurricane. So I don't even have the
> original software. Any help would be appreciated!
>
> dena

I am wondering if it is possible to do a repair of Win XP Home without the
original cd? Since it was lost in the hurricane I don't know how to go about
getting a replacement and I think the ActiveX part of the software needs
repairing. Any ideas?

In article <OzmSwFKtFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
dseago@benedictine.edu says...
> I am trying to update a WinXP Home computer at the Windows update site.
> Every time I connect to Windows update I get the message "Your current
> security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a
> result, the page may not display properly."
>
> I have set all of the Security settings in IE to low and enabled every
> ActixeX control possible on the laptop. I have run two different virus
> scanners and have found no viruses. I have run Adaware and Spy-bot and the
> system is clean. Nothing I try will even let Internet Explorer begin to
> download any kind of update for IE or for Windows. If there a way to fix the
> ActiveX problem without the original XP Home disk? The laptop I am trying to
> fix belongs to a person from New Orleans who lost her software and almost
> everything else she owned in the hurricane. So I don't even have the
> original software. Any help would be appreciated!

Put "*.microsoft.com" in the IE Trusted Security Zone.

If she's running a firewall it could also be blocking the ActiveX
control.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Just read your post....just had the same problem. I copied a post from
someone previously on the same problem. Do what it says. It worked for
me...and I was skeptical. It appears others have had the same trouble:

I had the same problem when I tried to update my system running windows xp.
The advice that I got from tech support was to re-register the following .dll
files using the regsvr command, *Softpub.dll, *Wintrust.dll, *Initpki.dll,
and *Urlmon.dll.
1. Click Start ->Run and type "regsvr32 Softpub.dll" (without double quotes)
2 Click okay to register it
3. Do the same re-registration process with the rest of the .dll files.
Restart your computer and try the update site again. If this doesn't work,
they gave me a couple of other suggestions to try. It worked for me, good luc

"Dena" wrote:

> I am wondering if it is possible to do a repair of Win XP Home without the
> original cd? Since it was lost in the hurricane I don't know how to go about
> getting a replacement and I think the ActiveX part of the software needs
> repairing. Any ideas?
> "Dena" <dseago@benedictine.edu> wrote in message
> >I am trying to update a WinXP Home computer at the Windows update site.
> >Every time I connect to Windows update I get the message "Your current
> >security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a
> >result, the page may not display properly."
> >
> > I have set all of the Security settings in IE to low and enabled every
> > ActixeX control possible on the laptop. I have run two different virus
> > scanners and have found no viruses. I have run Adaware and Spy-bot and the
> > system is clean. Nothing I try will even let Internet Explorer begin to
> > download any kind of update for IE or for Windows. If there a way to fix
> > the ActiveX problem without the original XP Home disk? The laptop I am
> > trying to fix belongs to a person from New Orleans who lost her software
> > and almost everything else she owned in the hurricane. So I don't even
> > have the original software. Any help would be appreciated!
> >
> > dena

It worked! Thanks so very much! I really appreciate your help! And thanks to
all who tried to help on this problem. Have a great weekend!

Dena

"Cornfused" <Cornfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just read your post....just had the same problem. I copied a post from
> someone previously on the same problem. Do what it says. It worked for
> me...and I was skeptical. It appears others have had the same trouble:
>
> I had the same problem when I tried to update my system running windows
> xp.
> The advice that I got from tech support was to re-register the following
> .dll
> files using the regsvr command, *Softpub.dll, *Wintrust.dll, *Initpki.dll,
> and *Urlmon.dll.
> 1. Click Start ->Run and type "regsvr32 Softpub.dll" (without double
> quotes)
> 2 Click okay to register it
> 3. Do the same re-registration process with the rest of the .dll files.
> Restart your computer and try the update site again. If this doesn't
> work,
> they gave me a couple of other suggestions to try. It worked for me, good
> luc
>
> "Dena" wrote:
>
>> I am wondering if it is possible to do a repair of Win XP Home without
>> the
>> original cd? Since it was lost in the hurricane I don't know how to go
>> about
>> getting a replacement and I think the ActiveX part of the software needs
>> repairing. Any ideas?
>> "Dena" <dseago@benedictine.edu> wrote in message
>> >I am trying to update a WinXP Home computer at the Windows update site.
>> >Every time I connect to Windows update I get the message "Your current
>> >security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a
>> >result, the page may not display properly."
>> >
>> > I have set all of the Security settings in IE to low and enabled every
>> > ActixeX control possible on the laptop. I have run two different virus
>> > scanners and have found no viruses. I have run Adaware and Spy-bot and
>> > the
>> > system is clean. Nothing I try will even let Internet Explorer begin to
>> > download any kind of update for IE or for Windows. If there a way to
>> > fix
>> > the ActiveX problem without the original XP Home disk? The laptop I am
>> > trying to fix belongs to a person from New Orleans who lost her
>> > software
>> > and almost everything else she owned in the hurricane. So I don't even
>> > have the original software. Any help would be appreciated!
>> >
>> > dena

jameson_93

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
:bounce:

I have tried your suggestion and nothing worked. Any other suggestions?
"Dena" <dseago@benedictine.edu> wrote in message
>I am trying to update a WinXP Home computer at the Windows update site.
>Every time I connect to Windows update I get the message "Your current
>security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a
>result, the page may not display properly."
>
> I have set all of the Security settings in IE to low and enabled every
> ActixeX control possible on the laptop. I have run two different virus
> scanners and have found no viruses. I have run Adaware and Spy-bot and the
> system is clean. Nothing I try will even let Internet Explorer begin to
> download any kind of update for IE or for Windows. If there a way to fix
> the ActiveX problem without the original XP Home disk? The laptop I am
> trying to fix belongs to a person from New Orleans who lost her software
> and almost everything else she owned in the hurricane. So I don't even
> have the original software. Any help would be appreciated!
>
> dena

jameson_93

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012