God damn 137gb

dave4900

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Evening all, For the last 8 months I have been running 3 Ibm drives a 30 , 60 and a 185 gb. I was using the 30gb drive as my c drive untill last sunday it failed with loads of bad sectors and is totally screwed.
I have since replaced it with a new ibm 120gb drive.
The main problem is that I can't get my system to recocognise my 185gb drive when I have my new drive in. I managed to get my 30gb drive functional again via a factory format. By doing the registry editing "EnableLargeLba" everything was fine. It just doesn't seem to work when I have my new drive plugged in !. I have reinstalled win2k about 4 times (sp4) before trying to get it to recognise my 185gb
What could be causing this ?????????

riser

Illustrious
This is easy.
Your BIOS currently can't support that large of a hard drive. Try updating your BIOS to the latest version. It might support more, but only fairly new motherboards (last.. oh.. 2 years or less) will probably be able to support the hard drives you're using.

Update BIOS with no results? Buy a new motherboard! :)

Riser

harvyk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2004
But if the bios can't support a 120GB drive then dave wouldn't ever be able to get the 185MB drive to work, (before or after the crash) my guess would be power, there is a chance that the 120 GB drive is asking for more power than your 30GB drive, what size power supply are you running??? Especially with 3 drives you will probably need a little bit of juice to run them properly...

With 100 Million neurons in the brain vouching for it, it can't be wrong...