Go With Radeon?Conflicts with AMD?

yossariangod

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Im trying to decide if I should go with the Radeon 8500. Ive read a lot of posts about conflicts with the Athlon XP series processor especially on an EPOX 8KHA+ motherboard..which is what I have. I was wondering if anyone has been able to get this combo of hardware to work and if so how. I want to be sure it will work else I will go with a Geforce3 ti200.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Ive read a lot of posts about conflicts with the Athlon XP series processor especially on an EPOX 8KHA+ motherboard.
Realy? I haven't heard of any problems with the Athlon or the board. However, if you mean XP, there were some WINDOWS XP issues at first.

I have an 8500 OEM on my AXP 1600+, and it's great. I have NEVER had any driver issues, even with the first release drivers. I'm on a KT266A MB (Gigabyte 7VTX-P).

The 8500 is a much better buy than the TI200 at a similar price range. And it's still getting better.

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.

starwrs3

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
the problem is with the epox board it is a known problem there are no compatibility problems with the proceessor just the mobo if you want more info check out rage3d.com they are a very informative site for radeon owners

G

I have an EPOX 8KHA+ mainboard/AMD1.7XP, WINXP, 512 mb DDR, My retail RADEON 8500 dropped right in and fired up without a hitch. From beginning install to gaming was about 10 minutes. After many long nights of heavy use not one hiccup.

Apparently there is a problem with _some_ RPOX mb's in that they have positioned capacitors too high under the AGP slot so the card cannot fit (slightly outside AGP specs). I read this effects the GF4 owners only, however. Check Arstechnica for the story.

Enjoy!

<i>..from the comfort of my aunt Faye's Couch..</i>

HeavyMetal

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
the problem you are referring to has nothing to do with the radeon 8500, you are talking about the Geforce 4 Ti4600 from visiontek that hits a capaciter on the epox and wont install correctly. plus i think if there is a problem epox will replace your mobo. so go ahead and buy a radeon 8500, but avoid the geforce 4's unless you want to go through the trouble of sending your motherboard in to have it replaced(you have to send your geforce 4 in as well though). i hope that helps, good luck

G

You are correct. That is why I stated that it is GF4 specific problem. Still, although I have not had a problem with my EPOX/Radeon combo, out of specs is out of specs. I have heard of early Radeon driver problems (no longer an issue) I have not heard of any Radeon cards not fitting the EPOX board. But never know.....

I am too cheap to buy a GF4 <grin>. Would love to have a 4600 myself. But at nearly a $300 difference it is real hard to justify one in my mind for anyone but the most hard core hobbyiest, IMO.

<i>..from the comfort of my aunt Faye's Couch..</i>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
All conflict are false rumor create by Intel useur.

cheap, cheap. Think cheap, and you'll always be cheap.AMD version of semi conducteur industrie