Serial ports with Remote Desktop

Does anyone know if Remote Desktop supports serial port input, such as that
from a joystick, from the CONTROLLING computer to the CONTROLLED computer?
Also, what of microphone input? This is regarding beta checking and testing
the software of an experimental commercial robot, without the use of
programmed networking (to work out the kinks).
3 answers Last reply
More about serial ports remote desktop

    No.

    Perhaps the following Knowledge Base Articles will provide guidance:

    Overview of Remote Assistance in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;300546

    HOW TO: Configure a Computer to Receive Remote Assistance Offers in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301527&Product=winxp

    Support WebCast: Using Windows Remote Assistance
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826769&Product=winxp

    Troubleshooting Remote Assistance Issues
    http://www.chicagotech.net/rdesktop.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Nicholas" wrote:

    | Does anyone know if Remote Desktop supports serial port input, such as that
    | from a joystick, from the CONTROLLING computer to the CONTROLLED computer?
    | Also, what of microphone input? This is regarding beta checking and testing
    | the software of an experimental commercial robot, without the use of
    | programmed networking (to work out the kinks).

    Is that "no" regarding Remote Assistance or Remote Desktop? I am referring
    to using Remote Desktop over a local wireless network (robotic purposes), not
    about using Remote Assistance or anything of the sort over an Internet
    connection.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > No.
    >
    > Perhaps the following Knowledge Base Articles will provide guidance:
    >
    > Overview of Remote Assistance in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;300546
    >
    > HOW TO: Configure a Computer to Receive Remote Assistance Offers in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301527&Product=winxp
    >
    > Support WebCast: Using Windows Remote Assistance
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826769&Product=winxp
    >
    > Troubleshooting Remote Assistance Issues
    > http://www.chicagotech.net/rdesktop.htm
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Nicholas" wrote:
    >
    > | Does anyone know if Remote Desktop supports serial port input, such as that
    > | from a joystick, from the CONTROLLING computer to the CONTROLLED computer?
    > | Also, what of microphone input? This is regarding beta checking and testing
    > | the software of an experimental commercial robot, without the use of
    > | programmed networking (to work out the kinks).

    Ah, so is it that only USB peripherals, such as Joysticks, cannot be sent
    from host to remote, or does this include elder serial port Joysticks and
    such as well? Unfortunately I have no way of testing this other than testing
    the networking first, which, going full circle, is what this escapade will
    lead to.

Remote Desktop Computers Windows XP