Whats faster : Geforce2 Pro or Geforce4 MX?

G

I'm new to the forum, so Hi Everyone.
I bought a new computer
Athlon 1900+
512MB Ram
Geforce4 MX 64MB (Leadtek).

Now my older PC
Pentium 2 450Mhz
128Ram
Geforce2 Pro 64MB (Hercules)

My older PC was getting a bit slow with my Matrox G400 card in it and to my surprise when I put in the Geforce2 Pro the games performance and 3D benchmarks (3DMark2000) doubled. I was expecting a boost but not that much. Now the Geforce2 Pro was one of the best Geforce 2's (excpet the Ultra as far as I'm aware) and the Geforce4 MX is one of the cheaper Geforce4's I think (somewhere I read it doesn't have certain DX8 features). Though I'm not that interested in features, only speed and I was wondering if any of you guys would have any idea which would be faster, which would give me best gaming performance (framerates).
If the Geforce2 Pro was better I'd switch them around.

Thanks in advance for any help
Cheers

G

mmmmm,.......
Dunno if this info is what you mean:
Winfast(R) A170...Leadtek Research Inc
On bootup it says NV17

That any help?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, I believe that's the MX440 so it should be a bit faster than the Pro.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
In response to:
...the GeForce MX is one of the cheaper GeForce4's I think (somewhere i read it doesn't have certain DX8 features). Though im not interested in features, only speed...

dude.
the price difference between a GeForce MX 440 and a GeForce Ti4600 is about $280!!! I don't think that "features" is the only difference. These "features" they speak of, are more than little insignificant add'ons that do not increase performance. The cards are completely different. Don't mean to burst your bubble but the MX series sucks. It dosnt incorporate hardly any of the "features", which are highly critical to game performance(fps) that the Ti series, on both the GeForce 3's and 4's. You just wait till UT2 and Q4 come out and you try to play them at 1600x1200x32, you wont be able to. The MX is slightly better than the Pro though. I suggest you read both of these articles here on toms hardware guide: PC graphics beyond XBOX, nVidia introduces GeForce 4 and
First Sightings: Three early samples of the GeForce 4 Ti4600.

its not that intel CANT make a good processor, its that they just dont try

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Willamette, he already has both computers and both cards. There's no point in telling him this. Obviously a $400 card will be a lot faster than a $120 card.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
True, but from what he has written, it sounds like he thought there was no major performance difference between the MX series and the Ti series. I had to clear this up.

G

ok,.......I new to a certain extent about the speed differences in the cards. If I hadn't I would have previously purchased a Geforce2 MX instead of the Pro. But anyways........

Here is my problem.....this computer has come with the Geforce4MX,...its not a decision I intensionally made but from what I can tell it seems to be a PCI version, I have no idea why. The motherboard is a ASUS A7A266-E. It says in its spec that the "AGP Pro slot is keyed to support only the latest 1.5 volt AGP cards ie:ASUS V3800 and newer models." Does this mean the chances of the Geforce2 Pro I have working are small (and if I tried it would wreck it?)

Thanks again.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I understand the card was included, i was just trying to clear up any misunderstandings. Anyways, i do not have a geforce 4 MX 440 nor a geforce 2 pro, nor a gigabyte motherboard! So why are you asking me!!! you have the materials, stick it in and see if it works!!! its not gonna break if it doesnt work!!! And a PCI GeForce 4 MX 440!!! Holy crap thats even worse!!! you do know about the major disadvantages of PCI graphics cards vs AGP ones right? I wasnt even sure if those existed yet! Are you sure its PCI, you do know what to look for on a mobo right?

G

Obviously, reading my question, I asked if there was any chance of breaking it. Therefore I'm hardly likely to just stick it in and see what happens if I thought this was a possibility, HENCE me asking the question. And not having much experience in this stuff I didn't know.
Anways, Secondly, I wasn't even specifically talking to you.