RE: Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.

Sometimes my disk drive just keeps "clicking" kind of like a tick tick tick
tick.

When I run Task Manager, it seems like the process cisvc.exe is running and
it keeps doing this for a very long time.

It seems to be doing it a lot more lately.

What is this and is there something I can do about it?

(Coincidentally I have recently added memory and memtest indicates that the
memory might be bad-- would this have anything to do with it).

Mel

What is cisvc.exe?

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/cisvc/

steve

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> RE: Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
>
> Sometimes my disk drive just keeps "clicking" kind of like a tick tick
> tick tick.
>
> When I run Task Manager, it seems like the process cisvc.exe is running
> and it keeps doing this for a very long time.
>
> It seems to be doing it a lot more lately.
>
> What is this and is there something I can do about it?
>
> (Coincidentally I have recently added memory and memtest indicates that
> the memory might be bad-- would this have anything to do with it).
>
> Mel

Windows XP may run slowly and you may see multiple symptoms in Windows Task
Manager
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;899869

cisvc.exe = Content Index service or Indexing service.
cidaemon.exe = Indexing Service filter daemon

Indexing Service starts automatically the first time you use Search,
unless it has been disabled.

Before disabling the Indexing Service, uninstall it in Add or Remove
Programs Control Panel applet.

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs |
Add/Remove Windows Components button on left hand side|
Scroll down to and UNCheck: Indexing Service | Finish |
Close Add or Remove Programs

Turn off the Indexing Service.

Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
Scroll down to and double click: Indexing Service |
Click the Stop button | In the Startup Type field,
select Disabled | Apply | OK
After you restart your machine it will stay disabled.

Indexing Service
[[Indexes contents and properties of files on local and remote computers;
provides rapid access to files through flexible querying language.]]

[[Indexing service is a small program that hogs HUGE amounts of RAM and can
often make a computer endlessly loud and noisy. This system process
indexing and updates lists of the files on your system, so you can search
for them quickly, but it's completely unnecessary.]]

Indexing Service
[[This service always has been a major resource hog. I NEVER recommend
having this service enabled. Remove the function via the "Add / Remove
Programs" icon in the control panel (Windows Setup Programs). It uses about
500 K to 2 MB in an idle state, not to mention the amount of memory and CPU
resources it takes to INDEX the drives. I have had people (and witnessed it
on other people's computers) report to me that the Indexing Service
sometimes starts up EVEN while the system is NOT idle... as in the middle of
a game. You may feel, as I do, that this is unacceptable. If your computer
suddenly seems "sluggish," Indexing Service is usually the cause of it.

Default XP Home: Manual
Default XP Pro: Manual
Safe Setting: Disabled

Service name (registry): cisvc ]]