• CRT Monitors
  • Monitors
  • Peripherals
  • Displays
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
December 31, 2000 9:07:58 PM

the horizontal width of my display on the monitor is too wide, i can't adjust it using the on screen dispaly controls, i opened the monitor and even the knobs have no effect, i believe the horizontal inductor is blown or broken, any ideas? is it repairable and if not what exact part do i need to replace and where to get it?
thanks

More about : monitor display wide

January 3, 2001 2:40:09 PM

I don't know, I take the "no user servicable parts inside" label pretty seriously when it comes to monitors, even though nothing will stop me from messing with any other part of PC.
Many reasons, but most importantly:
1) Voltage gets stored in capacitors in monitors. You could still die from an electric shock even if you had it unplugged for hours.
2) Implosions. Never seen one, never want to see one. Explosions are bad enough:) 
3) There really ARE precious few user servicable parts in there. If you aren't a monitor tech professional, I'd get it to a store/repair shop and get a pro to look at it, or return/exchange it if its under warranty...

Good luck:) 
January 3, 2001 7:17:10 PM

I did some surgury on my MAG Innovision a while back. I had a similar problem, every now and then the display would go super wide and I had to hit it. Eventually hitting it wouldn't even work. Well I opened up the casing seeing that the warranty was up on it. I used it with the case off for a week or so, and whenever it went goofy I jammed a plastic pen around inside (plastic won't conduct and zap you). Well this somewhat medival method worked because I found that the problem was with a large power transistor (probably part of the horizontal sync power supply circuit). It had a large heatsink on it, so I figured it might have a bad solder connection from years of heat. Sure enough I resoldered the leads and it worked like new. That was about a year ago, so far so good, eventhough I would like to get a better monitor now that I am out of school. Good luck.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"
Related resources
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
January 3, 2001 7:56:14 PM

aright, thanks, i'll give it a try
January 4, 2001 1:45:58 AM

Umm you sure your using a display size that is 4:3 ratio?

800x600, 1024x768, 1280x 1024 . . . .

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>
January 4, 2001 3:12:51 AM

>> I jammed a plastic pen around inside

you're both a lucky and a brave person... :smile:
June 29, 2011 4:26:47 PM

JoeHead said:
Umm you sure your using a display size that is 4:3 ratio?

800x600, 1024x768, 1280x 1024 . . . .

<b> Fragg at will!!! </b>

yes, just got Optimum and my screen went large sideways. Have to scroll right to read the screen.Large print.
!