Cable modem sharing?

Jeaze

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Hello to everyone.

I recently got a cable modem (USB) from Time Warner Cable in Florida and wanted to share my internet conection with my other PC. I tried SyGate but for some reason it won't work. I went thru the auto detection of proxy settings in my second PC and no luck. I tried to install the server version on both PCs and the second one saw the HighSpeed conection but there was no internet conection at all. I am wondering if it has to do with a single IP adress scheme... I used to have DSL and it worked ok. Any help is greatly apreciated. Thanks

Jeaze

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
You could install internet connection sharing on your computers. I've done that w/ my computers. Also do you have a cable modem router? Its better than internet connection sharing.

Jesus may save, but <i>I</i> invest.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hm, that's weird. Sygate is supposed to be one of the easiest ICS software packages to use. As above mentioned, you could use Windows' built-in ICS.
Even better though, you could hook your modem up to a router, then divide that signal between the two PCs. That one, there is no "master-slave" configuration and either could be on to access the Internet.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Jeaze

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
So far it's not looking good. I want to avoid the purchase of a new hardware router for my cable modem until the last minute. I am still puzzled by the fact that SyGTate worked fine with my old DSL and it doesn't with Cable.
Keep those suggestions comming guys!Thanks

jeaze

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
what are the settings you get when you do and ipconfig /all at both machines? Can you paste it in here? (I/m assuming you're running 2K, use winipcfg if 98)

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Jeaze

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Im running Win2K and the IP showing in the cable modem is the same as when I ping my computer by it's name. The network card is set to autofind it's ip. And the calbe modem is using USB instead of NIC.