Can a new build qualify as an upgrade?

mharry860

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
The last time I built a computer was about 6 years ago. Back then you could buy the upgrade version of Windows XP and show it your windows 98 cd during installation to confirm the upgrade. Can you do that with Windows 7 or is it going to check back home to see if your hardware was previously "Validated" on XP ?

I works as follows: (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but this is accurate as far as I know.)

1) If you have a legal, licensed version of Windows XP, you qualify to purchase one of the Windows 7 upgrade editions. To my knowledge, you will at some stage need to supply your XP key during Win7 installation (so yes, it must be "validated", so to speak).

2) BUT!!! You cannot do an in-place upgrade from XP to Win7. Thus, you will use your Upgrade disc to do a clean installation of Windows 7 (bit confusing, but there you are).

I will definitely go this route, since the Windows 7 upgrade editions will apparently be significantly cheaper.

As stated, you have to do a clean installation to go from XP to Win 7. And as in previous editions, you may input a valid XP key during the Win 7 install process. Yo may not, however, upgrade an upgrade.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
"is it going to check back home to see if your hardware was previously "Validated" on XP ? "
If you have a legal XP disk it would be already activated, so why would this be a problem?
If not you will have to buy a full version.

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
Nobody really knows until W7 hits the streets and somebody tries all the possible versions.

I know there was a loophole in Vista where You could first install Vista without licence key using upgrade DVD and then upgrade that with the same DVD using Your upgrade key at this time.

On the other hand why bother getting upgrade when You can get OEM for around the same price.

It's not possible to buy a Win7 upgrade version and use it to "upgrade" your XP system so that you end up with a Win 7 system and all your apps and programs still working. But the Win7 upgrade version DOES accept a prior installed XP system with a valid license key as proof of a previous version - and you can use it do to a complete, fresh install and then reinstall all your applications to end up with a valid, working Win7 system.