Latitude LS

I'm considering picking up an older, ultralight notebook; I'm currently
looking at either a Dell LS or an IBM X20. I was wondering if anyone
here has experiences with the LS. In particular I was wondering what
the fastest processor I can put in it is, what type of RAM (and how many
slots) it has, and if there are any hardware limits on the HDD size. I
plan to just run a lightweight Linux distro on it, so if anyone has
experience with Linux on the LS, I'd be interested in that too.
4 answers Last reply
More about latitude

    "Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I'm considering picking up an older, ultralight notebook; I'm currently
    > looking at either a Dell LS or an IBM X20. I was wondering if anyone here
    > has experiences with the LS. In particular I was wondering what the
    > fastest processor I can put in it is, what type of RAM (and how many
    > slots) it has, and if there are any hardware limits on the HDD size. I
    > plan to just run a lightweight Linux distro on it, so if anyone has
    > experience with Linux on the LS, I'd be interested in that too.

    You might consider a Latitude C400 as well. From what I recall, the older
    LS400's had only one DIMM socket and fairly low end total RAM capacity.

    I'm not sure of HDD limitations, but I'd expect you'd be looking at 20gb or
    less in the original drive. I have no idea as to what the ceiling HDD
    capacity is on that machine though.

    Stew

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

    > "Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm considering picking up an older, ultralight notebook; I'm currently
    >> looking at either a Dell LS or an IBM X20. I was wondering if anyone
    >> here has experiences with the LS. In particular I was wondering what the
    >> fastest processor I can put in it is, what type of RAM (and how many
    >> slots) it has, and if there are any hardware limits on the HDD size. I
    >> plan to just run a lightweight Linux distro on it, so if anyone has
    >> experience with Linux on the LS, I'd be interested in that too.
    >

    > You might consider a Latitude C400 as well. From what I recall, the older
    > LS400's had only one DIMM socket and fairly low end total RAM capacity.
    >
    > I'm not sure of HDD limitations, but I'd expect you'd be looking at 20gb
    > or less in the original drive. I have no idea as to what the ceiling HDD
    > capacity is on that machine though.
    >

    > Stew

    I have a dead LS in the drawer. While it lasted, it was a nice machine, but
    with limitations. The biggest was one DIMM slot and a max of 256MB. It is
    not a particularly sturdy machine, so I would expect all of them by now to
    be having hinge problems.

    I did have an X30 and still have an X40. Significantly sturdier machines.

    I'd look at the X series.

    Tom

    Well as much as I'd prefer an X-series, I couldn't find any in the price
    range I was looking for. I ended up buying a LS off ebay today for
    under $150; it has 256MB of RAM, and I happen to already have a spare
    20GB HDD lying around. It's main purpose is going to be for when I need
    a notebook that I can throw in my backpack and not worry if something
    happens. I love my D610, but it's definitely overkill for just taking
    notes in class (but excellent for labs where I need to do circuit
    simulations, etc.). The LS looks like it will work great for notes,
    light web surfing, listening to music stored over the network, etc. I
    plan to throw either Fedora with Fluxbox or Enlightenment, ot perhaps
    Slackware with Dropline Gnome. My previous laptop ran full Gnome fine
    in Fedora Core 2 with 256MB of RAM, but the processor was double as fast
    s the LS.

    > Well as much as I'd prefer an X-series, I couldn't find any in the price
    > range I was looking for. I ended up buying a LS off ebay today for under
    > $150; it has 256MB of RAM, and I happen to already have a spare 20GB HDD
    > lying around. It's main purpose is going to be for when I need a notebook
    > that I can throw in my backpack and not worry if something happens. I
    > love my D610, but it's definitely overkill for just taking notes in class
    > (but excellent for labs where I need to do circuit simulations, etc.).
    > The LS looks like it will work great for notes, light web surfing,
    > listening to music stored over the network, etc. I plan to throw either
    > Fedora with Fluxbox or Enlightenment, ot perhaps Slackware with Dropline
    > Gnome. My previous laptop ran full Gnome fine in Fedora Core 2 with 256MB
    > of RAM, but the processor was double as fast s the LS.

    For $150, go for it. It's definately worth it. It is a fine machine --
    just be casreful of the hinges.

Dell Computers Product