Nextel or Verizon in NYC Metro Area?

I currently have Verizon service, but my phone needs replacing and I'm
giving some thought to Nextel. I've heard over and over again that no
service in the NYC metro area is better than Verizon's. Is this true. I
mainly operate in Manhattan from my car, but also spend consideravle time in
northern Westchester County, e.g. Yorktown, and Putnam County. How is the
service in these areas. The only reason I would switch to Nextel is the DC
feature. Lots of my friends and relatives have Nextel and the DC feature.
But I do not want to sacrifice reception coverage for the DC feature.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

John
3 answers Last reply
More about nextel verizon metro area
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    John wrote:
    > I currently have Verizon service, but my phone needs replacing and I'm
    > giving some thought to Nextel. I've heard over and over again that no
    > service in the NYC metro area is better than Verizon's. Is this true.
    > I mainly operate in Manhattan from my car, but also spend
    > consideravle time in northern Westchester County, e.g. Yorktown, and
    > Putnam County. How is the service in these areas. The only reason I
    > would switch to Nextel is the DC feature. Lots of my friends and
    > relatives have Nextel and the DC feature. But I do not want to
    > sacrifice reception coverage for the DC feature.
    > Anybody have any thoughts on this?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > John

    I would say to stay as far away from Nextel as possible. Verizon is by far
    the better choice. I am a very dissatisfied Nextel customer. If you need a
    list of reasons I will be very happy to supply one.

    J.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    I have to agree with Jimmy on this one. I'm also a very dissatisfied Nextel
    customer. So much so that I was happy to pay the early termination fee of
    $200 to get back to SprintPCS. List of reasons supplied at request but one
    of them was not reception. If that's all you're worried about I can't help
    you but if you want a good service in general then I would stay away.

    "Jimmy" <jimmycliff@spamex.com> wrote in message

    > John wrote:
    > > I currently have Verizon service, but my phone needs replacing and I'm
    > > giving some thought to Nextel. I've heard over and over again that no
    > > service in the NYC metro area is better than Verizon's. Is this true.
    > > I mainly operate in Manhattan from my car, but also spend
    > > consideravle time in northern Westchester County, e.g. Yorktown, and
    > > Putnam County. How is the service in these areas. The only reason I
    > > would switch to Nextel is the DC feature. Lots of my friends and
    > > relatives have Nextel and the DC feature. But I do not want to
    > > sacrifice reception coverage for the DC feature.
    > > Anybody have any thoughts on this?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > John
    >
    > I would say to stay as far away from Nextel as possible. Verizon is by
    far
    > the better choice. I am a very dissatisfied Nextel customer. If you need a
    > list of reasons I will be very happy to supply one.
    >
    > J.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

    John wrote:
    > I currently have Verizon service, but my phone needs replacing and
    I'm
    > giving some thought to Nextel. I've heard over and over again that no

    > service in the NYC metro area is better than Verizon's. Is this true.
    > mainly operate in Manhattan from my car, but also spend consideravle
    time in
    > northern Westchester County, e.g. Yorktown, and Putnam County. How is
    the
    > service in these areas. The only reason I would switch to Nextel is
    the DC
    > feature. Lots of my friends and relatives have Nextel and the DC
    feature.
    > But I do not want to sacrifice reception coverage for the DC feature.
    >
    > Anybody have any thoughts on this?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > John

    I'd also have to agree with the other posters. Last week, I was
    talking to someone on my Nextel phone in the White Plains area on the
    Meritt/Hutchinson River Parkway. The phone kept dropping my calls, and
    I finally just gave up. The signal wasn't bad when I was in NYC. That
    is the biggest complaint about NEXTEL that I have. Their coverage in
    the areas I travel is good, EXCEPT:

    1) When you are in a building
    2) When you are moving

    I've had several NEXTEL phones now, and they just can't seem to hold
    calls around certain spots. Its always the same places, and the few
    times I call customer care, I get told "we can't adjust anything".
    This is after giving detailed information on the cell tower, signal
    strength in dB, etc.

    Overall, I like NEXTEL for somethings, but I'm finding I equally
    dislike them for their coverage, dropped calls, and voice quality.

Nextel County Verizon Internet Service Providers