hotbbq

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
I recently purchased a Radeon 8500 retail, for $140 I might add, and it was just a plain pain in the a**. Had all sorts of problems with my setup. In anycase, I took it back. I heard that the Geforce4 TI4200 was going to be in a similar price/cost arena as the 8500. Does anyone have any information or links about this? Also, what does anyone know about the new R300 chip from ATI?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, what motherboard are you using?

Odds are, if you had a problem with your R8500, you'll have problems with nVidia cards also. Unless you can tell us what your problem was, you may have it again.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Yes, I am wanting a 4200 also. Dual vertex shaders on the cheap.
I heard at one time they were undecided on releasing this and later heard they were going to go ahead with it after the 4400 and 4600 soaked up the foolish early adopters money. Then went for us 'budget' lamers. :)

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?

hotbbq

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
Well I have here's my setup:
AMD Athlon XP 1700+
ECS K7VTA3 version 2.0 (uses VIA KT266A chipset)
Crucial 256MB DDR 2100
Sound Blaster Audigy OEM
Windows XP Pro

The problems I was having were very common to those with VIA chipsets. Mainly, any game or full screen graphics would lock up after starting anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 minutes. Had to hard reboot the system each time. Also, refresh rates did not work properly, which caused everything to run in 60MHZ, which filled the screen with really annoying flickering. I worked on it for quite some time. I did just about everything suggested over in the forums of www.rage3d.com with no luck. The only thing that prevented it from crashing was underclocking to 250MHZ, but even that crashed sometimes. I had heard NVidia cards were having problems as well, but not to the extent that ATI cards where having. I read numerous posts and snippets saying this and that, but nothing worked. I was just looking to buy a TI4200 because I've had both ATI and NVidia cards before, and ATI always gives me trouble but I've never had a problem with NVidia. Oh well. I'm probably doomed no matter what card I get. :-(

G

I don't know if the probleum derives from your software adjustment,you'd better be carefully when making decision.
Ask for more information before you decide,8500 is a good card until now.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the 60 hrtz monitor refresh rate is not a video card problem, its an operating system problem. NT kernel operating systems default to the lowest refresh rates in a lot of things for some reason, all you need to do is find the right program and it'll set your refresh rate appropriately. Also just FYI the Ti4200 will supposedly give the performance of a Ti500 Geforce 3, but since the card isn't released we don't know how well it'll overclock so depending on prices/overclocking a Ti500 might be a better way to go if your set on nvidia.
Supposedly sometime in the summer ATI will come out with its next graphics card based off the r250 chipset so its quite a ways away.

"Why can't I be the man? I mean, I DO have harmony balls..." -epoth

hotbbq

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
Thanks for the info Oni. I tried three or four different fixes for the refresh problem, but sadly none of them worked. I do have a 300W PSU that might have been causing the problems, but I will never know. Thanks anyways.

<b>Only in America would a drive-up ATM have brail numbers.</b>