PNY GeForce 4 TI 4400 Problem With AGP 4x

G

I was having all sorts of problems with lockups with the PNY Geforce 3 Ti and the GeForce 4 MX440 .. so I bought the new GeForce 4 TI 4400 to see if that was gonna give me the same problems. I was first of all shocked by the huge size of this card. I figured though that since it looked completely different that it might work better too. Indeed it did work... and even the free 3D Revelator Glasses that came with it worked.. for the most part. But only when I disable my 4x agp in my bios. I'm wondering if this is a problem I can fix and if so how. I have a Tyan Trinity K7 motherboard for my SlotA 750mhz Athlon. I have almost 400mb of PC133 SDRam. I have a 350watt power supply. Can anyone give me some ideas as to what I can try to get it to not lock up in games when I use 4x AGP mode?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
You simply might have a problem of a not quite up to spec AGP 4x board. That would be my guess if you have problems with 3 different cards.

I do not like it Tom you see,
I do not like green PCB.

G

Okay Ive been running this card for a few extra days here. It seems that when this vid card locks up.. its plays whatever sound that is currently playing over and over like a broken record... usually during a 3D game. If im not running any 3D apps the card will never crash. Ive gotten it to lockup during a winamp 3D plugin. And Ive get it to crash alot with the new Star Wars Starfighter game. It locks up much much easier when I enable the stereoptic galsses. But locks up less when I use the stereoptic glasses and turn the resolution way down. It locks up almost always no matter what I do when I have AGP 4x enabled on my motherboard. I have to keep it disabled if I'm to avoid any lockups at all. The error I'm getting isnt the type that causes graphical anomolies on the screen or green bars. And when XP restarts it doesnt say that its the nvidia drivers causing my problem.. as it did with the previous 2 geforce cards that didnt work. This time I'm getting this everytime it locks up and reboots:

Error signature
BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 820919B8 BCP2 : 82567668 BCP3 : 82569060
BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0 Product : 768_1

Any ideas?

G

Your note sounds sort of similar to a problem I had with my Abit BH6 and GF2Ti Card. It would lock up whenever I went into a 3D game and would result in sound loops in the resulting crash. It was eventually revealed to me by a good tech rep that the AGP slot was under-powered. It wasn't anything to do with the sytem power (350 watts) it was the transformer on the mainboard and the way it delivered power to the AGP slot. The system worked fine with my GF2mx, but the GF2Ti drew more power and no workee. The only way to get it to go at all was to basically turn off the AGP features (turn down the aperature, set to 1X). Even then it was flakey. I put the same card in my EPOX8ka mainboard and it worked flawlessly out of the gates.

In short..as someone else said..it looks like your AGP slot and mainboard is just a little out of spec and for whatever reason..it just does not want to work with a higher power demanding card. You can try to turn back your AGP options...but what is the point of getting a highend card if you are going to do that?

Maybe time for a mainbaord/cpu upgrade?

Good luck!

<i>..from the comfort of my aunt Faye's Couch..</i>

G

Thank you for your input.. that sounds like the exact problem I am having. I had to use GeForce Tweak utility to turn my agp down to 1x and now it seems to be stable 99% of the time. I guess theres nothing I can do now but wait until I get a new motherboard and processor..
Thanks again!